Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Foil Hat questions

41Flyer

Join
Apr 20, 2019
With all the controversy around the "face app" things where you upload to picture to some random app website and they morph it into another version, everyone is freaking out about those who tried out the app are giving away their personal information.

I am curious about this from the Drones. ( I haven't read all the manuals cover to cover to see if these are already disclosed )
  • When you take a photo with any digital camera, the exif data encoded into your photo lists off information about your camera/phone, gps location data, time, camera settings, phone number, and other data. Do the photos and videos taken with the drone also include that kind of information?? Is it possible to see someone's video on youtube and use a special program to discover the video was shot with a spark last tuesday in a no fly zone at 700+ feet?
  • When you upload logs or black box data, where on the planet is it going? who owns/operates the servers? What data is sent in the logs? Obvious GPS info, probably serial and software versions, maybe even DJI account username.
  • When you are connected to the internet and flying, what kind of data is streaming off your phone/drone back to the mother ship?
  • What about apps that "enhance your flying experience" giving you lots more power but also sending data back to their servers? who/what/where?
I'm asking for a friend! They pretty much ask these question about any tech that connects to the internet (like ring cameras or nest thermostats 2019 car nav systems or bubble pop games needing to access your contacts list and microphone)

Privacy, as we once knew it is gone, ship sailed, and like lemmings we have embraced its demise like a digital cliff we all walk right off. I am pretty sure all our flights are parked on a SAN located in China.

Reactions: 41Flyer and pmshop
When it comes to China you can assume the worst... All our flight data and images are being fed into artificial intelligence and machine learning models. They will use your coordinates to navigate their robot army and land fighter jets in your backyard. That’s what the U.S. government is concerned about too.

It’s a modern day Trojan Horse - works even better with the help of technology.

Reactions: MiragePro
So, use your phone in airplane mode, or a device that doesn't have any cell plan.

Then the only way around it is to used a modded app that does not connect to them. NLD go 4 is one way. What sucks is you can’t use your fight logs if you need too

So, use your phone in airplane mode, or a device that doesn't have any cell plan.

Airplane Mode is not a solution.The flight data is on your device.

As soon as you exit Airplane Mode your data can be forwarded to their servers. It can be done in the background without any input from user.

Spark has its own WiFi to connect to Internet even when your phone is off so SIM-free device is not without risk.

I personally don’t think DJI has any nefarious intentions but they must do as instructed by Chinese government. A drone is a fantastic spying tool — that’s why U.S. has a fleet of our own.

Reactions: Chicken Hawk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit