Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Frosty Fog

Nice shots. The gray fog mixed in with the greens and browns makes for a nice composition.

We have had some of that fog too. The recent cold temperatures and the warmer lake water makes the fog over the lake quite thick especially in the morning. I have been itching to get out in the morning to capture the fog but have been too busy. I probably won't chance using my Spark though, as the bottom sensors can get confused and I don't want to have a problem trying to land it especially since the temps have dipped down below -10ºC. Today it was -17ºC and there was lots of thick fog on the lake and surrounding area. I'll probably stick to using my Phantom 3 Standard which has no bottom sensors and therefore won't think the fog is the ground.

Chris

Very cool pics RotorWash. Love all the colors in that first pic. Nice detail too. Send some of those warmer temps down my way will ya. Too dang cold, too dang early here thanks to one of those lovely Polar Vortex bombs, LOL. Thanks for sharing those pics with us. Winter fog is unusual. Oh wait, it's still Autumn, ha!

Reactions: Haggi and RotorWash
I glanced at the thread title and thought it said Frosty Frog.

Thought maybe it was going to be an old tavern. :D

Nice photos.
Thanks for sharing.
That gave me a good laugh for the day, thanks Spark 317! :D Now that you mention it, it is a catchy name!

Reactions: Haggi and Spark 317
Very cool pics RotorWash. Love all the colors in that first pic. Nice detail too. Send some of those warmer temps down my way will ya. Too dang cold, too dang early here thanks to one of those lovely Polar Vortex bombs, LOL. Thanks for sharing those pics with us. Winter fog is unusual. Oh wait, it's still Autumn, ha!
Thanks DJ! lol, those two dreaded words "polar vortex"!!

Nice shots. The gray fog mixed in with the greens and browns makes for a nice composition.

We have had some of that fog too. The recent cold temperatures and the warmer lake water makes the fog over the lake quite thick especially in the morning. I have been itching to get out in the morning to capture the fog but have been too busy. I probably won't chance using my Spark though, as the bottom sensors can get confused and I don't want to have a problem trying to land it especially since the temps have dipped down below -10ºC. Today it was -17ºC and there was lots of thick fog on the lake and surrounding area. I'll probably stick to using my Phantom 3 Standard which has no bottom sensors and therefore won't think the fog is the ground.

Chris
Thanks Chris! Wow, getting very cold out your way, hopefully you'll get some reprieve soon. Good point on the downward sensors, I've seen a few vids of such events. I was weary when I first started out and did a couple of test runs first for that and prop icing as well but it seemed light enough not to bother Sparky any.

Reactions: Haggi and Spark 317
Thanks Chris! Wow, getting very cold out your way, hopefully you'll get some reprieve soon. Good point on the downward sensors, I've seen a few vids of such events. I was weary when I first started out and did a couple of test runs first for that and prop icing as well but it seemed light enough not to bother Sparky any.
Yes, it has been unseasonably cold. I don’t mind it though. The colder the weather, the faster the lake will freeze and then I can get my snowmobiles out and do some ice fishing.

I don’t think the fog in your shots would affect the sensors as the AC can still see the ground. Thick fog is a concern and so is prop icing when in the fog. Cold weather, fog and bottom sensors, I don’t think would be a good combination!

Chris

Wow, epic shots, Rotorwash!
Did you shoot videos as well? Would love to see how the Spark captured the light and the movement of the fog!
Many thanks!

Reactions: RotorWash
Litchi app has the option to disable downward sensors.
If disabled in Litchi, it would be disabled when running GO 4 too.
Have not tried this myselves, and I expect if you power everything down, this settings will be restored.
Test pilot needed ?

Look out for "hard landings"..

Litchi app has the option to disable downward sensors.
If disabled in Litchi, it would be disabled when running GO 4 too.
Have not tried this myselves, and I expect if you power everything down, this settings will be restored.
Test pilot needed ?

Look out for "hard landings"..
I tried it once (disabled sensors in Litchi) when I was exploring hand catching while kayaking. Didn’t like it - it came down too fast into my hand and the hover was much less stable. It also moved around a lot in a hover just like my Phantom 3 Standard does (no bottom sensors).

Chris

I tried it once (disabled sensors in Litchi) when I was exploring hand catching while kayaking. Didn’t like it - it came down too fast into my hand and the hover was much less stable. It also moved around a lot in a hover just like my Phantom 3 Standard does (no bottom sensors).

Chris
This is the kind of feedback we need!
I would only disable sensors when there is a risk of being stuck in the fog, bird initiating Auto-Landing.. or even refuse going down.
Thanks for sharing!

Great thread which started with some super shots. Frosty fog eh? That’s a new one on me but love the effect. It has been raining for nearly 24hrs here in the SW UK and with an early morning 1C we had some sleet. Disgusting weather I’m afraid and no flying for a while.

Yes, it has been unseasonably cold. I don’t mind it though. The colder the weather, the faster the lake will freeze and then I can get my snowmobiles out and do some ice fishing.

I don’t think the fog in your shots would affect the sensors as the AC can still see the ground. Thick fog is a concern and so is prop icing when in the fog. Cold weather, fog and bottom sensors, I don’t think would be a good combination!

Chris
Snowmobiles and ice fishing, now there's two things that can make winter a lot more bearable and of course Sparky too!

Wow, epic shots, Rotorwash!
Did you shoot videos as well? Would love to see how the Spark captured the light and the movement of the fog!
Many thanks!
Much appreciated Rwarrior! I hadn't really planned on making a video as the light was low but since you mentioned it... :)
I was able to pull enough footage along with a dose of brightness in post to create a short one, hope you enjoy it, cheers!

Much appreciated Rwarrior! I hadn't really planned on making a video as the light was low but since you mentioned it... :)
I was able to pull enough footage along with a dose of brightness in post to create a short one, hope you enjoy it, cheers!

Haha.... well shot [emoji106]
And your music is a perfect match... very calming.
Thanks for sharing RotorWash [emoji120]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers