Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Galaxy Note 8 OTG

Kenneth Jackson

Join
Jul 3, 2018
Anyone successfully flying OTG with a Note 8? I tried and now my phone won't charge. I was using an RcGeek usbc Otg cable. It never connected the phone to the rc. It would only charge the rc battery.

Seems all cable s are not created equal. You could try update to latest firmware which is supposed to utilize OTG officially. Or, try another otg cable. Proper OTG cables have one side identified as usb which is plugged into the controller.

I had an issue with my Moto Z Droid when trying OTG with the new firmware - the phone crashed and thought it was in charge mode when it was not. Unhappy.

I tried an OTG cable off ebay and it wouldn't work. Good job it was only cheap. The best solution I got was a genuine small white OTG samsung adapter, the kind that comes with the phone and let's you connect an apple phone to transfer data. This together with a standard short usb cable. No problems.
Should work with other Android phones too with the same plug.

The main point is that the OTG cable ruined my $900 phone. I can't charge it now. I won't be trying Spark Otg cable again.

I've noticing my Samsung s8 charger is no longer staying in when I'm charging now it starts charging then stops all the time.

After doing some more research, I found out that the Note 8 has this not charging issue. It may have just been a coincidence that the phone quit charging after trying OTG. I'm still not gonna try it again.

After doing some more research, I found out that the Note 8 has this not charging issue. It may have just been a coincidence that the phone quit charging after trying OTG. I'm still not gonna try it again.

The following is all just a semi-educated guess.

I don't think the USB charging circuit involves software. Otherwise, it would not charge when the device is turned off.

I think you hit on the most likely scenario that somehow the connector was damaged. Mating with an inexpensive connector might cause some damage, bend some pins, or something else…

Wireless charging is a good solution, if available.

You might also try another charging cable – sometimes the specs are just different enough to make one work while a different one doesn't.

Just for grins, power off/restart the Note 8 and see if that helps.

Barry.

I have a Note 8 and tried a OTG cable that was mini usb to usb-c. With this particular cable the remote would charge off of the phone and eventually the phone would shut itself off. With the Samsung adapter it works fine and I have since also purchased a different otg cable that works just as well.

I have a Note 8 and tried a OTG cable that was mini usb to usb-c. With this particular cable the remote would charge off of the phone and eventually the phone would shut itself off. With the Samsung adapter it works fine and I have since also purchased a different otg cable that works just as well.
We're you using the cable that came with the Spark and the adapter or a different cable with adapter?

Last edited:
We're you using the cable that came with the Spark and the adapter or a different cable with adapter?
My Spark did not come with a cable so I was using the Samsung adapter that reduces the full size usb down to a micro usb (to the controller) and a Samsung usb-c cable to the phone.20180724_180852.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe