Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gatwick: Man and woman questioned over 'criminal use of drones'

Highflyer

Join
Nov 10, 2018
Loc
Sanborn, Mn (USA)
A man and woman are being questioned:
face-slap.gif
“on suspicion of disrupting services of civil aviation at Gatwick airport in a way likely to endanger the safety of operations or persons” – offenses that carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment on conviction.
b0703_copy.gif

Well, they will serve as example, which is good.
We, drones users, don't need that kind of publicity.
Many government already talking about tighten restrictions because of this event...

I am still flabbergasted: why they did they do this? These are not young, stupid pranksters. They are grown-ups who. It seems inpossible they did not know what they were doing and given the coverage in the news, they would have to have a sense of the consequences of their actions. I hope we do get some information about their motivation.

Many government already talking about tighten restrictions because of this event...
yeah i was thinking the samething
I am still flabbergasted: why they did they do this? These are not young, stupid pranksters. They are grown-ups who. It seems inpossible they did not know what they were doing and given the coverage in the news, they would have to have a sense of the consequences of their actions. I hope we do get some information about their motivation.
I'm wondering if they found anything when they searched their home if so what? hopefully after the investigation will get more info and their motivation.

We might not hear much about their motivation once they have been charged. It could be very little emerges until the court case. Ie could be a long wait...

We might not hear much about their motivation once they have been charged. It could be very little emerges until the court case. Ie could be a long wait...
true

just watched this video on YT

Reactions: Tree Topper
This was all to be expected: given the price of drones and the easy of use, combined with the possible high impact on everything from privacy to security and topped of with the general stupidity of mankind, the freedom we (drone pilots) were given could not last long....

Reactions: Highflyer
The comments here just show the danger of jumping to conclusions. The couple concerned were arrested, not charged, and have now been released without charge.

I am in the Uk and the latest update is that they have been release with no further action . The police think they have the wrong people . I always felt that it wasn’t the people arrested and feel that they have been more or less been trialed by media with their faces and address being posted . The guy is a keen rc flyer and builds planes etc belongs to a club and I don’t think this sort of person would do this . My money is on the many environmentalists that protested against the expansion of the airport and also have in the past wanted to prevent planes from taking off due to air pollution. The cynic in me feels this is also a big media cover up as only recently am Israeli company won a $20 million dollar contract for a drone detection system . I am no conspiracy theorist but something was never right . No real footage no pics with the worlds press , cctv , police and army Present ... just my on opinion

I am in the Uk and the latest update is that they have been release with no further action . The police think they have the wrong people . I always felt that it wasn’t the people arrested and feel that they have been more or less been trialed by media with their faces and address being posted . The guy is a keen rc flyer and builds planes etc belongs to a club and I don’t think this sort of person would do this . My money is on the many environmentalists that protested against the expansion of the airport and also have in the past wanted to prevent planes from taking off due to air pollution. The cynic in me feels this is also a big media cover up as only recently am Israeli company won a $20 million dollar contract for a drone detection system . I am no conspiracy theorist but something was never right . No real footage no pics with the worlds press , cctv , police and army Present ... just my on opinion
What is the opinion of the general public in the UK? Is there now more anti drone sentiment, or suspicions toward the government?

The comments here just show the danger of jumping to conclusions. The couple concerned were arrested, not charged, and have now been released without charge.
You are absolutely right. I pride myself at being open-minded and weary of fake news. Just go to show how easy you fall for it.....

What is the opinion of the general public in the UK? Is there now more anti drone sentiment, or suspicions toward the government?

Hi Richard ,
On Twitter there are #dronegate trends lots of people believe it’s a gov distraction to get away from BREXIT news as our gov shuts for Xmas the other theories are that it’s been confirmed a company won a £20 million contract for a drone detection system just after this incident??hmmmm . Still no footage of this drone even after apparently 67 sightings not one mobile phone pic . I am a little weary taking my spark out at the mo incase I get problems from
People if I am honest . Some comments have been on twitter “ if I see a drone user I’ll knock it out of the sky “ “ drone idiots “ stuff like that so time will tell hopefully will die down and we can carry on enjoying the hobby . In Nov 2019 I will have to register the spark and do an online exam

I am saddened for the people who were wrongly accused, and I am also saddened that this incident has occurred. It highlights the deficiencies in the system, and simply begs a repeat show. However, we are now seeing our ‘government’ suggesting that stronger regulation is needed. Once more the good guys are to be penalised by the actions of idiots ( or plastic bags, or whatever) that have threatened manned aircraft. No responsible pilot would do, but irresponsible ones will, and they will also ignore regulations, so will more regulation work to stop them? No! I hold a PfCO , and I feel tha is increasingly under threat by these idiots. Responsible pilots need to take a stand against all forms of irresponsible behaviour, and that includes not allowing images on forums that have been taken in contravention of local laws, not praising them if they are included, not helping those who want to illegally modify their aircraft and so on. I suspect that airworthiness tests may come along toraise money for our hard pressed government, but also to check on what craft are flying. Again if will affect the good guys not the bad. But we all need to take a determined stand before we lose the right to fly at all.

A man and woman are being questioned:
face-slap.gif
“on suspicion of disrupting services of civil aviation at Gatwick airport in a way likely to endanger the safety of operations or persons” – offenses that carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment on conviction.
b0703_copy.gif
I think everyone is jumping to conclusions here, first the Police have the wrong people, second no drone was even spotted at all. The Police chief of the area is a complete nob and could not even find his car keys let alone a drone. These poor people have been draged through the mill for nothing without any apology from the police force. The guy was at work at the time and his boss phoned the police to tell them that and they hung up on him and took no notice. But the media have found it a lovey excuse to scare the public and make them anti drone, just what the CAA and police want.

Last bit of news about this is that it may have been the police department's own drone spotted the first time that started all this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers