Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Getting my Spark's feet wet

Looks nice.

Although you got the Sparks feet "wet", don't let it go swimming. :D

Thanks for sharing.

I ENJOYED your adventure! I am afraid to do the same!! :-( ..so scared Miss Sparkle will go for a swim.

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: RotorWash
My first adventure with my Spark over water today at an area known as Kildare Capes. Just a short run close to shore letting myself get comfortable with it. Kinda nervous but loving every minute of it. :)

nice video what settings did you do for your video I am having problems downloading to the spark forum photo no problem. Also what system do you use for your son track Regards Irvine

Really well flown and excellent confidence. I recall my first over-water flight-squeeky you -know-what time! Such an attractive area you live in and looks remote on my Google Maps.

Reactions: RotorWash and loup
Really well flown and excellent confidence. I recall my first over-water flight-squeeky you -know-what time! Such an attractive area you live in and looks remote on my Google Maps.
Thanks very much! The area is rural with about a 10k population in the general area so it's sparse but the land mass is small so not too hard to bump into others. Most of the shoreline has cottages dotted throughout. The province I live in is Canada's smallest with a total pop of about 155,000. Our biggest "city", Charlottetown, is about 120km from me and has about half of the population in it's area.

nice video what settings did you do for your video I am having problems downloading to the spark forum photo no problem. Also what system do you use for your son track Regards Irvine
Thanks Irvine. I usually shoot manual mode and keep my ISO at 100 and adjust the shutter speed till I get the exposure I want. I found some royalty free background music on Youtube and downloaded it from there but there are other websites that offer the same. For posting up a video to this forum, I believe you have to upload it to a site like YouTube or Vimeo and then you would paste the share link from that site for the video in your message here and it will show up.

You must have very good eyesight...

Well done!
Trailered out to PEI and the other provinces on the East coast a few years ago. Stayed in the National Park there. It’s a beautiful area and would love to go back. Oh, if I had my drone then! (Trip was before the age of drones).

Chris

Nicely done, RW. Once you get comfortable with flying your little bird over water, and trusting it to do what you tell it, you’ll find that you have far more opportunities for really scenic video.

I just got back an hour ago from a two week vacation to Peggy’s Cove and environs. Got some really nice footage, the vast majority of it over open ocean and harbours. I’ll share it once I’ve figured out what to do for soundtracks.

I should add that I continue to be impressed with the Spark’s ability to gracefully handle fairly stiff breezes.

Nicely done, RW. Once you get comfortable with flying your little bird over water, and trusting it to do what you tell it, you’ll find that you have far more opportunities for really scenic video.

I just got back an hour ago from a two week vacation to Peggy’s Cove and environs. Got some really nice footage, the vast majority of it over open ocean and harbours. I’ll share it once I’ve figured out what to do for soundtracks.

I should add that I continue to be impressed with the Spark’s ability to gracefully handle fairly stiff breezes.
Thanks Medley! Oh wow, can't wait to see that footage! Was just thinking of Peggy's Cove a couple of days ago!

There’s not really much opportunity tp fly right over Peggy’s Cove because there are so many tourists, but the terrain right around it is perfect for dramatic footage.

I sent you a PM just now if you want to check them out before I publish them.
Thanks so much Medley! I'm downloading them right now so I can enjoy full quality before I watch. Going just by the thumbnails they already look good! :)

Thanks Irvine. I usually shoot manual mode and keep my ISO at 100 and adjust the shutter speed till I get the exposure I want.
I pretty much always have a Polar Pro ND16 with circular polarizer mounted on my camera. I also shoot manual exclusively and using the ND filter allows me to keep the shutter speed at 1/60, which is best for video. I modify my ISO to make adjustments to brightness but because of the ND filter, I can generally leave it at 100 in full sun, and adjust upwards (typically never higher than 400) if I need more exposure.
I like the polarizer on there as well because it’s great over water in particular.

• Love
I pretty much always have a Polar Pro ND16 with circular polarizer mounted on my camera. I also shoot manual exclusively and using the ND filter allows me to keep the shutter speed at 1/60, which is best for video. I modify my ISO to make adjustments to brightness but because of the ND filter, I can generally leave it at 100 in full sun, and adjust upwards (typically never higher than 400) if I need more exposure.
I like the polarizer on there as well because it’s great over water in particular.
First, thanks very much for the above tips. I was going to ask you about your settings because your footage is absolutely fantastic!! I kept saying WOW about every 15sec, it's so crisp it looks like it was shot in 4K! With all the incredible shots throughout the three videos I also learned a lot just by watching. I was expecting Peggy's Cove to be wonderful but this was way over my expectation. Super job Medley, thanks so much for sharing. Looking forward to the final edit with background music to top it off. I've got today booked off to get some footage, it's going to take a while to get anywhere near your level but now I'm super pumped to start out my day!

Can’t think of a better way to spend a day off.

I find that the more I shoot, and then review and edit my footage, I’m learning to visualize the look I’m going after. I end up thinking in 3D, if that makes sense, thinking about compound movements using the gimbal, elevation changes and forward/back/right/left movements on the right hand stick in combinations to give cinematic effect. The review/edit process is teaching me what kind of movements to stay away from for the footage I want to keep. Of course there is some movement I know will be throwaway to get my bird in position for the shots I want to use.

The other thing I would strongly suggest is leave your video recording on all the time; you’ll surprise yourself with some of the stuff you get, and you won’t be caught forgetting to hit record.

Glad you enjoyed them, and thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: Andro and RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme