Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gimbal Roll Motor mount

Kris Jacobs

Join
Jul 20, 2018
Hello everyone. I work in local government IT; I support most local law enforcement agencies.

An officer brought me this DJI Spark the other day - the roll motor on the rear of the camera has popped out of what I call the "gimbal roll motor mount". It appears the camera roll motor simply snaps into the cup, then two screws fasten the post to the T-shaped gimbal plate.

Here are pics in a Google Photos album I created for this issue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vvkaQCCRcdKmEoGA8

What do you think? I'm having a heck of a time finding just that camera mount - two screws down thru the T-shaped gimbal plate, and snap the roll motor into place - should be good to go.

I have a 3D printer, so I'm going to have a go at modelling & printing it.

Thanks!

-KJ

Rough Draft printed and added to album, you can see it here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vvkaQCCRcdKmEoGA8

Looks promising - but I've had a couple of beers so it's time to have a couple more and play some video games. :)
Hi Kris,
You say disassembly was straight forward. Both those small screws came out of my Spark and were lost with the camera hanging like an eyeball on its optic nerve! When the top is removed, how much removal must be done to get to that 'T' piece to replace the screws and what size are the screws? If the task is not too bad, I'll do the job myself rather than send it to DJI.
Mike

Look at the picture in my album linked above, where I'm pushing aside the ribbon cable to see those two screws.

Look at the picture in my album linked above, where I'm pushing aside the ribbon cable to see those two screws.
Thanks Kris. The pictures are good and show the task is achievable. I suspect the screws are M1.5x6mm stainless thin cheese head ones. As my a.c. is still under warranty (just) I'll let DJI have it first.

Thanks Kris. The pictures are good and show the task is achievable. I suspect the screws are M1.5x6mm stainless thin cheese head ones. As my a.c. is still under warranty (just) I'll let DJI have it first.

You're welcome Mike. Yes, I'd recommend taking advantage of warranty service @ DJI.

My rough draft print of the replacement part is very close - just printed another one at .1mm layer height instead of .2mm, solid fill instead of 30% fill, and slowed down the print speed.
BTW, I'm printing on a highly modified & tweaked Monoprice Maker Select V2, using Hatchbox blue ABS.
This blue ABS is just what I had loaded, and for some reason I've always found the blue is very finicky filament to get small details out of. I think I'll switch to Hatchbox black ABS.

I think I've go tit! I switched to red Hatchbox PLA - MUCH nicer than their blue ABS. Plus this is the red back Spark. ;)
This is revision 3 - the camera roll motor press fits into the cup nice and snug!
Updated photos in my album for this little project: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vvkaQCCRcdKmEoGA8

Next I'll stick the new mount in place on the gimbal T-bar with a tiny blob of handy tack & push a needle thru the holes from above to mark where I need to drill screw holes.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav