Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Giving the gift of Spark

Mjbok

Join
Jan 23, 2018
Question for thoughts and opinions from the group.

I have a bunch of drones. They vary from a $15 handheld one that is garbage to a decked out Typhoon H that was 1500+ when purchased. With the exception of my garbage drones I try to fly all of them from time to time, except the Spark. Once I got the Air the reasons for flying the Spark disappeared. In many ways the Air is just a much, much better version of the Spark rather than a lesser version of the Mavic Pro.

Here's my question. I have a nephew who has shown interest in drones that is graduating from high school in the spring. Is it a bad gift? The negatives are: It's used, don't have the original box...and that's about it. The positives are: It is basically new. Less than 50 flights (probably less than 30), four batteries, case, filters, legs, extra props.

There's a stigma to a used gift. We would also give whatever our standard cash gift is, but I can see it coming off as a negative. Plus I won't include a phone or tablet (but will include the OTG cable) that would be needed as well as they would need a micro SD card.

On the one hand I would think it's a great gift. It isn't doing anything for me, and it would give him a chance to dip his toe into the hobby. On the other hand, it is used (even though it looks brand new).

Thoughts?

I had an opportunity to fly a Spark at a friend's house where his 15 year old grand boys were visiting. The one boy's eyes really lit up when he saw me flying it and I'm sure he would have had no problem if someone had gifted him a used on (particularly one with all the extras you have).

I would not make it a formal gift. Just get him off to the side and see if he would like to have it and if so then just give it to him. Just because you love him and not because he is graduating. Hopefully both of you can fly your drones together so the gift will just keep in giving! You have a wealth of knowledge to share with him. It's a great idea!

A great way to do it!
I would not make it a formal gift. Just get him off to the side and see if he would like to have it and if so then just give it to him. Just because you love him and not because he is graduating. Hopefully both of you can fly your drones together so the gift will just keep in giving! You have a wealth of knowledge to share with him. It's a great idea!

Reactions: Spark 317
If I were a 15 year old, I would simply love such a GIFT. Doesn't matter if it's a used one.
In fact now that I am 30+ and working, I don't get enough free time to fly my drone and regret the fact that these things weren't available (in the consumer market) during my metaphorically winged days.

The best part about receiving a used Spark from a relative is that it comes with free lessons from an experienced pilot! This is a great bonding opportunity and chance to pass on your knowledge.

I assume you are posting this due to societal taboo against giving used gifts on formal occasions -- but a used Spark is still worth hundreds of dollars and plenty of enjoyment. It sounds like you felt like he would really appreciate this particular gift.

Great gift. It isn't "used" -- it's flight proven. Go for it!

The best part about receiving a used Spark from a relative is that it comes with free lessons from an experienced pilot! This is a great bonding opportunity and chance to pass on your knowledge.

I assume you are posting this due to societal taboo against giving used gifts on formal occasions -- but a used Spark is still worth hundreds of dollars and plenty of enjoyment. It sounds like you felt like he would really appreciate this particular gift.

Great gift. It isn't "used" -- it's flight proven. Go for it!

That is a huge part of it (societal taboo), coming off as cheap, not good enough for me anymore, or other such BS. The other part is a little trickier. There was a nasty divorce and there's lots of bad blood there. Even before that the grandparents (not on my side, but my brother's ex's) really disliked me because of how I lived. This included the crimes of having a good job and being single (at the time) having things like drones/sports car/other gadgets. I see people taking (what is intended as a nice thing) as a way of showing off or sticking it to them.

I also wouldn't be able to teach him how to fly. Different states and (due to the above mentioned scenarios) very rarely see him.

Reactions: Andre Levite
That is a huge part of it (societal taboo), coming off as cheap, not good enough for me anymore, or other such BS. The other part is a little trickier. There was a nasty divorce and there's lots of bad blood there. Even before that the grandparents (not on my side, but my brother's ex's) really disliked me because of how I lived. This included the crimes of having a good job and being single (at the time) having things like drones/sports car/other gadgets. I see people taking (what is intended as a nice thing) as a way of showing off or sticking it to them.

I also wouldn't be able to teach him how to fly. Different states and (due to the above mentioned scenarios) very rarely see him.

That sounds like a complex family situation. No way to make all those people happy. As long as you and your nephew are pleased that's all that matters in the long run.

Sounds like you are a very thoughtful and considerate person. Good luck with whatever you decide!

It's odd that this is even an issue, would his first car have to be new too?

This is very true, but also a different scale. Hell both of the cars I have were used when I got them. Of course one was used by my wife and the other is my "summer" car, so that's a little different.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe