Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gordon Creek Falls and another crash!

sharps45

Join
Apr 18, 2019
Flying out the same day as the trestle shoot, and taking vids of the waterfalls in the Gordon Creek wash, just upstream from the trestle. I'll never learn! Fixated on the video screen, I wasn't watching Snarky and backed him into some trees. An hour of searching through willows, weeds, and Russian Olive trees, and I found him. The gimbal was flopping around, and when I put on a new battery I had no control over the gimbal, and no picture through the lens. Crap!
Put him away for the weekend while I researched somewhere to send it for repair. Finding a likely fixer, I went to wrap him for shipping today, and the gimbal wasn't flopping any more. Put on a battery and all seems normal. I'll post in discussions and see if anyone has any ideas on what happened. Anyway, enjoy a little video of the falls (out here in the arid West, any water is nice, any waterfall is spectacular!)

Last edited:
Your link is not complete.

Tried to copy and paste at YouTube and it shows as unavailable.

I really liked your "reveal" of the waterfall. Really good job (except for the crash, lol). Doesn't look like it was too bad. How did it happen? Just backed into some brush?

Reactions: sharps45
At least the fall wasn't a big drop and the weeds helped cushion the crash. From your other post, glad to hear that Sparky is ok.

At least it didn't land in the water. You would not have likely found it again. I hope your Spark is OK.

Reactions: sharps45
“Must use pull backs” is my new mantra after seeing your. Presume the Falls get a lot sportier when it rains but it could be a touch arid out there. Glad the craft survived. I’ve had floppy gimbal syndrome too and somehow it sorts itself out.

Reactions: nilanjan118
I really liked your "reveal" of the waterfall. Really good job (except for the crash, lol). Doesn't look like it was too bad. How did it happen? Just backed into some brush?
Yeah, watching camera view with both eyes, not watching the drone.

“Must use pull backs” is my new mantra after seeing your. Presume the Falls get a lot sportier when it rains but it could be a touch arid out there. Glad the craft survived. I’ve had floppy gimbal syndrome too and somehow it sorts itself out.
When we get a good thunderstorm this and the canyon to the north fill up with water quickly. We've had people lose four wheelers, trucks, and unfortunately small children killed in the floods. No place to be when it rains hard.

Great little video! Cool how you backed away from the falls...
The crash was kinda cool as well (at least from the video perspective).
I watched the video on my phone to figure out where the drone could have crashed, otherwise I would not have found it.

Lovely video of the waterfall. Very nice "reveal" as someone said above. Happy to know that your Sparky is ok.

“Must use pull backs” is my new mantra after seeing your.

"Don't put all your cards on the table at once" they say.
Create an element of surprise/suspense for the viewer.

Reactions: Haggi
Nice footage and lucky the drone started working again normally a few days later.

I've never done it but how hard is to to film this normally moving forward then just reverse the footage in editor, wouldn't have to worry about backwards crashes.

Reactions: Haggi
Nice footage and lucky the drone started working again normally a few days later.

I've never done it but how hard is to to film this normally moving forward then just reverse the footage in editor, wouldn't have to worry about backwards crashes.

Reversing the footage would make it look like a gravity defying waterfall. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers