Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Got my license today (Woo-Hoo)

Barbara

Join
Dec 25, 2018
Loc
Algoma District, North Shore, Ontario
June 1st was the date that new regulations kicked in here in Canada, so I figured it was about time to do the deed. Did the Small Basic Test, missed two questions. Went on to register the Spark so I guess I'm all legal now. Thinking of doing the Advanced Operations test, but that means an actual flight review. Not sure there is anyone local to me can do that.

Happy flyinf all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara
Cool!

I saw a video about your test. It sounded a lot like the FAA part 107 test.

Reactions: Barbara
Congrats, I am reviewing for the advanced cert now too.

Here's a list... you are in the Sault area?

T-Bay or Dryden perhaps? 3 Points in Space | 3D Mapping, Drones, Aerial, Archaeology shows a BC phone, but they are in Dryden too.

Barrie might be closer!

Good luck
Thanks. I'm between the Sault and Sudbury. I'll check out the link

June 1st was the date that new regulations kicked in here in Canada, so I figured it was about time to do the deed. Did the Small Basic Test, missed two questions. Went on to register the Spark so I guess I'm all legal now. Thinking of doing the Advanced Operations test, but that means an actual flight review. Not sure there is anyone local to me can do that.

Happy flyinf all!
I am new to drone flying. Bought a Spark and realized that I have to enroll in an information-packed in-person RPAS Ground School to learn about the new regulations governing drone flights in Canada (effective June 1, 2019) and take a basic Small RPAS Exam required for drone pilot licence before I can actually fly a drone legally. Is there any literature that I can study by myself instead of going to a drone flight school since taking a course in a school is expensive, right? Thanks.

I am new to drone flying. Bought a Spark and realized that I have to enroll in an information-packed in-person RPAS Ground School to learn about the new regulations governing drone flights in Canada (effective June 1, 2019) and take a basic Small RPAS Exam required for drone pilot licence before I can actually fly a drone legally. Is there any literature that I can study by myself instead of going to a drone flight school since taking a course in a school is expensive, right? Thanks.
Yes, there are lots of resources. Most are free, a few people have put together guides and are charging a small amount...

You should not need to do a school course to get the basic, it does pay to do some pre-study, but you can google things during the test too.

Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

That is the core information they draw the exam from.

Reactions: Toxie
Reactions: Toxie
I just did the test yesterday as well, passed with 85% and registered my spark.

Was thinking about doing advanced certificate next, but after looking over the drone registration document, was very surprised to see that the dgi spark is not eligible to be flown closer then 30m to people, so even if you get the advanced certificate, it's of no use to a spark owner, since the drone is restricted to always being 30m away. Take a look at your drone registration document (the $5 form), is the second box not checked? If so it's just like mine. Appears DGI did not attempt to get the spark fully certified in Canada.

So appears the only advantage with advance certificate is flying in a restricted zone, which is not worth the cost of a flight test.

Sorry I misread the registration document, advanced does get you closer, the second box is only for inside 5m... So advanced does give us benefits.

The government haven't made anything really clear and easy to read.

Also anyone know how long the certification is for? Does it last only two years, or indefinitely? The government site gives no clear answer, for advanced it states it only lasts two years unless you keep up your learning, but doesn't explain what that means, says nothing about basic. Certificate only shows date you passed not when it's effective to.

Second confusion is everywhere it States you must be 5.6km away from airports, but then the government website that gives you a map where you can't fly, actually shows that unless a airport is on the certified list, the is no restrictions around it. Of course the only way to see which airports are certified you have to buy there giant guide book! Local airport is just a small one (Welland airport) and I'm just within 5,6km, but based on the Gov maps this airport doesn't count? What is the definition of an airport, again this is the most confusing regulations ever made.

Happy flyinf all!
congratulations :)

I just did the test yesterday as well, passed with 85% and registered my spark.

Was thinking about doing advanced certificate next....

Congrats on your pass! I too am beginning study on the advanced.

Second confusion is everywhere it States you must be 5.6km away from airports, but then the government website that gives you a map where you can't fly, actually shows that unless a airport is on the certified list, the is no restrictions around it. Of course the only way to see which airports are certified you have to buy there giant guide book! Local airport is just a small one (Welland airport) and I'm just within 5,6km, but based on the Gov maps this airport doesn't count? What is the definition of an airport, again this is the most confusing regulations ever made.

Install the AirMap app on your mobile device, its pretty much the accepted norm, and it seems accurate in Canada (to me at least) or you can use their web app on a PC/Mac/Linuxbox https://app.airmap.io/

Thats how I decide how close I can get to things. Pay attention to Controlled Airspace (shows up in purple) as for basic cert holders like you and I, its all no fly within those areas.

Happy flyinf all!
Ha ha! Well sort of, its about 340kms between us ?
I am from Elliot Lake too have my basic and a spark....

The best book imho is "From the Ground Up". You can leave out all the material about specific flight instruments etc, but the info on airspace, weather etc is invaluable.

The best book imho is "From the Ground Up". You can leave out all the material about specific flight instruments etc, but the info on airspace, weather etc is invaluable.

Btw, there is no obligation to attend an expensive ground school - with the Basic Exam from TC there almost enough time to look up every answer if you've organised your resources well beforehand (including having a separate browser window open).

Happy flyinf all!

Congrats on the pass I did mine as well back in February or January whenever it was announced!

I have called Fanshawe College in London and they will have course details in August. Other than that there are some places in Toronto.

There are actually quite a few flight reviewers available around this area. Fanshawe is only one option.

Find a drone flight school - Transport Canada (enter London in the search box)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme