Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hamden Ct and flying near airport

hawkhawkhawk

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Hello everyone,

i apologize in advance if this has been covered but i was hoping for some help.

I recently purchased a DJI spark. I live in Hamden Ct, which is near an airport according to UAV forecast. Is there a limit to how high I can fly in my backyard while being near an airport? I just want to play with it in my backyard. If I stay below 15 ft, is this allowed?

Also, I called a bunch of parks in the area and apparently they don't allow drones which was very disappointing.

Any recommendations on ppl in my neck of the woods on where to fly?

thank you very much for all your help

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a DJI spark. I live in Hamden Ct, which is near an airport according to UAV forecast. Is there a limit to how high I can fly in my backyard while being near an airport? I just want to play with it in my backyard. If I stay below 15 ft, is this allowed?

Also, I called a bunch of parks in the area and apparently they don't allow drones which was very disappointing.

Drones are not governed by towns in CT, only the state. You can fly in town parks, as long as it is not posted. Just calling a town park to see if you can fly there and they telling you no violates the state law. Of course if you call them they are going to tell you no, but it must be in the rules and regulations of the park. You pay taxes like everyone else and you have a right to use the park as anyone else does, so long as you are responsible. Make sure you register your drone with Faa and follow state and FAA rules. Towns cannot make rules concerning drones unless they are approved by the state. I fly in salem, and in Waterford CT.

Reactions: desert spark
Drones are not governed by towns in CT, only the state. You can fly in town parks, as long as it is not posted. Just calling a town park to see if you can fly there and they telling you no violates the state law. Of course if you call them they are going to tell you no, but it must be in the rules and regulations of the park. You pay taxes like everyone else and you have a right to use the park as anyone else does, so long as you are responsible. Make sure you register your drone with Faa and follow state and FAA rules. Towns cannot make rules concerning drones unless they are approved by the state. I fly in salem, and in Waterford CT.
Drones are not governed by towns in CT, only the state. You can fly in town parks, as long as it is not posted. Just calling a town park to see if you can fly there and they telling you no violates the state law. Of course if you call them they are going to tell you no, but it must be in the rules and regulations of the park. You pay taxes like everyone else and you have a right to use the park as anyone else does, so long as you are responsible. Make sure you register your drone with Faa and follow state and FAA rules. State parks, federal, and wild life refugees as airports are off limits. Towns cannot make rules concerning drones unless they are approved by the state. I fly in salem, and in Waterford CT.
Public Act No. 17-52 - State Pre-Emption
Signed into Law: June 2017
Prohibits cities and municipalities in the state from enacting their own drone-related regulations or ordinances. Just fly responsible, and obey state and federal laws.

Hello everyone,

If you stay below tree level in your back yard you will not be violating manned aircraft air space. State and federal laws were made to protect manned aircraft. Unless a helicopter is landing in your back yard you don't have to worry.

Does your Spark refuse to take off??

If you are in the Red zone all bets are off.
The Spark knows where you are and will not take off in the red zone.
If you are in the Authorization (yellow) zone you can go on-line and register with DJI in "self unlock" then you
can fly around your house to your hearts content. Just be careful.

Does your Spark refuse to take off??

If you are in the Red zone all bets are off.
The Spark knows where you are and will not take off in the red zone.
If you are in the Authorization (yellow) zone you can go on-line and register with DJI in "self unlock" then you
can fly around your house to your hearts content. Just be careful.
I don't believe that's quite right, I'm in a yellow zone and i dont need dji to unlock, . I have been in other yellow zones with no problem flying, just remember yellow is restricted airspace not authorized space if your not sure go to faa web site or use software air map to explain what air space colors mean. so fly below 400 ft. Red is no fly zone and t he spark will not take off.

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

I just copied this from the DJI site I use to unlock my Spark. Right next to the yellow is the Red zone that is totally closed.
My house is in a yellow zone and I have to unlock every 3 days if I want to take off at all.

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

I just copied this from the DJI site I use to unlock my Spark. Right next to the yellow is the Red zone that is totally closed.
My house is in a yellow zone and I have to unlock every 3 days if I want to take off at all.
Wow, I'm also in a yellow zone, but i just go outside, fire up my spark or my mavic pro and no problems. But I am not near any red zones so that may be the reason. That's a pain in the butt to have to unlock every 3 days. I know dji recently had an update of its maps but i did not update, hum maybe if i update it wont let me fly as well. So I'm not going to update it.

Hello everyone,

Hi guy, judging from what I can make out on air maps now mind you i dont know your exact location, but Hamden is within 3 miles of a heliport, and all of the surrounding area has some type of restrictions. CT is not a drone friendly state judging by all the yellow, which just about covers the whole state.

Don't forget that even with these "color" zones the max altitudes are different. Lower closer to an airport, higher further away from the airport. Hope this helps.

Hi guy, judging from what I can make out on air maps now mind you i dont know your exact location, but Hamden is within 3 miles of a heliport, and all of the surrounding area has some type of restrictions. CT is not a drone friendly state judging by all the yellow, which just about covers the whole state.

I used the UAV app and I am just outside the 5 mile range of the new haven airport.
You are correct in that the only circle i fall in are heliport ones. I was under the impression that heliports are ok. is that incorrect?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme