Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hello BC Canada, I bought a Craigslist Spark...

the.green.hornet

Join
Mar 7, 2019
Hey everyone,

I started Droning last year with a Tello which I got more use out of than I thought I would. The pictures were just good enough for Instagram but hard to compare to the awesome shots everyone else posts. So after "mastering" the tello I decided to get a spark.

So a month ago, I decided I'd save a few bucks and find one on Craigslist. And was browsing for about a week looking for the right deal. Then a guy posted a green spark fly more combo with the carying case, prop guards, controller and 2 batteries for $500 cad. (About $730 cad new)

I emailed him right away, he said he bought it for a holiday but the resort banned drones, he tried flying it around town a couple times and didn't really get into it and said he never crashed it. Bingo I'm sold.

I get home and start going through the menus and realize the batteries have been charged over 20x each. Okay fine he used it more than a couple times whatever. Then just last night (a month of flying later) I was browsing accessories online and noticed that some cheap eBay props in a clear container are the exact props I have...

It's been about a month learning how to fly this guy and figuring out all the settings and features and I'm really happy with my photos but I've been doing this with random props. It makes me wonder if he had really crashed it and destroyed the factory ones. One thing I've noticed in the last couple days is the drone doesn't always fly particularly straight, maybe I have to calibrate the compass?

I went to bestbuy and picked up a new set of props and when the weather clears up I'll try them out but I was wondering if there's anything else I should be on the lookout for with this drone. I'm loving it but now I'm a little worried.

Reactions: Highflyer
Hello and welcome.
Unless you have compass error or calibrate compass messages, it should not be an issue.
Hope for you that have more opportunities to fly
in west. We had snow all day long in east... again !

Reactions: Surfnut
One thing I've noticed in the last couple days is the drone doesn't always fly particularly straight, maybe I have to calibrate the compass?
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your issue has been discussed in this forum before. In fact, I have also experienced it myself.
Please take a look at this thread.

Reactions: Prayingdsr
Welcome to the forum Green. Hornet ? Jeff from Minnesota ?

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your issue has been discussed in this forum before. In fact, I have also experienced it myself.
Please take a look at this thread.
Interesting. It seems like it's just something we deal with with the spark. I'm going to try to note when it happens and see what conditions may cause it. I was flying near high voltage power lines last night when I noticed it being real bad. It could have messed with the compass as well.

Hey everyone,

I get home and start going through the menus and realize the batteries have been charged over 20x each. Okay fine he used it more than a couple times whatever. Then just last night (a month of flying later) I was browsing accessories online and noticed that some cheap eBay props in a clear container are the exact props I have...

Hey,

Welcome to the forum :)

Buying a used drone is really difficult... Drones are really complex and there are so many foolish people out there. (if you see how many drone fail videos are on youtube...)

Destroyed props don't mean that it was a heavy crash. Maybe it was just a failed palm lunch or some low branches. Sparky is really sturdy :)

Hope you can fix your problem with the links posted above!

Maybe this helps when you are a spark starter (Also read what the other members wrote underneath) :

Have fun and fly safe :)

Reactions: Prayingdsr
Hey everyone,

I started Droning last year with a Tello which I got more use out of than I thought I would. The pictures were just good enough for Instagram but hard to compare to the awesome shots everyone else posts. So after "mastering" the tello I decided to get a spark.

So a month ago, I decided I'd save a few bucks and find one on Craigslist. And was browsing for about a week looking for the right deal. Then a guy posted a green spark fly more combo with the carying case, prop guards, controller and 2 batteries for $500 cad. (About $730 cad new)

I emailed him right away, he said he bought it for a holiday but the resort banned drones, he tried flying it around town a couple times and didn't really get into it and said he never crashed it. Bingo I'm sold.

It's been about a month learning how to fly this guy and figuring out all the settings and features and I'm really happy with my photos but I've been doing this with random props. It makes me wonder if he had really crashed it and destroyed the factory ones. One thing I've noticed in the last couple days is the drone doesn't always fly particularly straight, maybe I have to calibrate the compass?

I went to bestbuy and picked up a new set of props and when the weather clears up I'll try them out but I was wondering if there's anything else I should be on the lookout for with this drone. I'm loving it but now I'm a little worried.
Welcome Hornet from Cornwall, UK :)

Although the Craigslist seller may not have been completely honest in terms of the number of flights, it is fairly common to underestimate the number of times a drone it is flown. I would not be overly concerned about the discrepancy regarding the battery uses.

I have also found that the Spark is typically a safe drone to buy second or even third hand as it does stand up to punishment as well as any drone costing $500 or less. Unless overt evidence of damage his present, chances are that it has not been involved in any serious crashes or collisions.
That said, it should last you are a long, long time. Best to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers