Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hello from Knoxville, Tennessee

SPARK1

Join
Jan 13, 2019
Loc
Knoxville, Tn
Hello everyone,
I am new to drone flying and loving it so far. I recently purchased the Spark fly more package and i have a couple of questions.....First do you really need to use a OTG cable with the controller and second do you need a cellphone that is active for gps or is it built into the controller, Thanks for the help and hello everyone

Reactions: irvine
Welcome to the Forum!

This is the best place to get those sort of questions answered:

The OTG cable is optional. You can fly just fine without an OTG cable but sometimes the signal isn't as good. The wired connection between phone and RC using the OTG is less susceptible to interference. They are only about $10 so it's worth getting one if your signal is often sketchy. I've had good results and use it every time.

The remote control doesn't have a GPS antenna but the Spark its self has one.

Your phone doesn't need a GPS either -- for example plenty of pilots use the wifi only iPad Mini which doesn't have a GPS antenna.

Hope that info helps ;)

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, SPARK1.

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Welcome from Wisconsin!

I have a OTG cable but have never had a need to use it. I use my old Samsung S6 as a flying phone, no longer active as a cell phone but works great for flying.

Welcome to the forum! :)

do you really need to use a OTG cable with the controller
Most people have no trouble flying without an OTG cable. If all works well for you without the cable, then you can fly without it.

o you need a cellphone that is active for gps or is it built into the controller
GPS is not built into the remote controller. There is a GPS receiver built into the Spark and that's where most of the GPS related data comes from.

If you want to be able to reset the home point to your location after taking off, then you'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver. That feature is really only useful if you're going to be moving away from the home point after taking off -- like when flying from a boat.

Had my Spark for nearly a year and have been flying recently with OTG. It seems to be fine and perhaps more reliable than just RC-wifi-iPad (my choice for device as eyes not the best!). Had no fall outs but do follow the sequence for hook-up on this site. Welcome to Spark world.

Welcome, I am in Georgia, Im new to the site. have had my Spark a week now and guess i really spoiled myself using the OTG cable the very first times out with it. Now got myself a tablet i cant get the OTG to work with and flying wifi it keeps telling me to get within range. I can really go far with the OTG cable. and never loose signal.

Hmm are you using your spark with a controller? If not then I would recommend you get one.... Without a controller you are relying on your phone's wifi signal which isn't very far. With the controller you should get a range of a mile or so... Hope this helps

Hmm are you using your spark with a controller? If not then I would recommend you get one.... Without a controller you are relying on your phone's wifi signal which isn't very far. With the controller you should get a range of a mile or so... Hope this helps
Yes have controller. My area at least at home a ton of wifi going on . I feel that is a issue when not on the other cable. I only get about 350 feet away but with the cable on my phone I get almost 1000 feet

I have a 64gb SD card in my spark and for some reason it's recording on the SD card and it also is saving the recorded video to my phone is this normal? Is there a way to stop it from doing this. No use saving the video in 2 different places

it also is saving the recorded video to my phone is this normal? Is there a way to stop it from doing this.
Turn off video caching in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Cache-Locally-When-Recording.jpg

I am using a android device and this option is not available. This option is only available on IOS. Guess my only option is to lower my cache size to the lowest setting so it stop storing to my phone. I dont know why this option isn't available on android devices. Also is there a way to record audio while recording video. Thanks everyone for your knowledge

Also is there a way to record audio while recording video.

Unfortunately the audio is recorded if selected with the video cache.

January 16, 2019 12526 AM EST.jpg

You'll have to hook your device up to the PC and download the cache to get the audio files for future editing.

The cache on the device is low quality and doesn't take up too much space on the device and is good to have a video reference for a search and rescue mission should you lose your Spark during a flight.

I usually record every flight just to get a cached copy and you can always delete the stuff later.

Last edited:
I am using a android device and this option is not available. This option is only available on IOS. Guess my only option is to lower my cache size to the lowest setting so it stop storing to my phone. I dont know why this option isn't available on android devices. Also is there a way to record audio while recording video. Thanks everyone for your knowledge

On the same Settings screen you can choose to record audio from the microphone on your device (no mic on Spark or RC):

C6928B54-35F6-4685-AA10-2C80136C2D92.jpeg

I use iPhone X. Really interesting if this isn't available on Android either.

Some settings can be "hidden" because they require you to scroll down off the main screen to view them -- this can be subtle and easily overlooked.

Hope this helps

I am using a android device and this option is not available. This option is only available on IOS.
That screenshot above is from one of my Android devices. It should appear on any Android/Apple device.

Did you try scrolling down in the General Settings section?

That screenshot above is from one of my Android devices. It should appear on any Android/Apple device

Mine is from the Motorola Moto z2 phone and it's different.

Hi Spark1, I have the option to disable the cache on three android phones (all Samsung though), perhaps as mentioned you need to scroll through the menus more carefully (I still miss stuff sometimes!)?

Also, be aware the cached video is only 720p and lesser quality than you'll have recorded direct to the Micro SD card (1080p)!

Welcome from another "newbie"!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67