Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How fast will a Spark follow you?

DavidBlezard

Join
Jan 26, 2019
I’m planning on taking some boating video and would like to set Spark to follow the boat. We would start slow get the follow Mode all set up and then accelerate up to cruising speed. About 20-23 mph. Do you think it will keep up in assisted ?
Thoughts ? Anybody done this before ?

23mph should be doable depending on wind conditions

23mph should be doable depending on wind conditions

I watched your video in preparation to use active track on a boat. Thanks. Our boat was running at about 20 mph is this video. I tried using active track following the boat and it followed, but, the distance was far and the boat was too small for my needs.

Check out my footage. It is not a polished video.

Reactions: RotorWash
I watched your video in preparation to use active track on a boat. Thanks. Our boat was running at about 20 mph is this video. I tried using active track following the boat and it followed, but, the distance was far and the boat was too small for my needs.
Looks great! Glad Mr. Geek's video helped you out. The close up view really gives a sense of speed. Hope you'll post some more if you give it another go. ?

Reactions: DavidBlezard
Hectic is right but unscathed maybe a lick of green paint though :) Cool perspective looking down from the top of the mast, thanks for sharing! ?

Ive used the active track on my spark to film myself wakeboarding. Speed got up to 25-25 mph with no issues keeping up.

I just shot some footage of my wife and a friend tubing behind my boat that I ended up free flying to shoot instead of active track, speed was up 35 mph (fully maxed out) flying backwards. I had a hard time keeping them perfectly in the frame but the shots are much cooler, especially the flying around the side then backwards in front shots.

I look forward to improving my game filming from the boat. Sketchiest part for me is always landing. Pretty much requires a hand catch,, and after one went wrong I have been a bit gunshy. Went halfway through my thumb nail, sprayed blood on the bird !

• Wow
Reactions: Spark 317
Ive used the active track on my spark to film myself wakeboarding. Speed got up to 25-25 mph with no issues keeping up.

I just shot some footage of my wife and a friend tubing behind my boat that I ended up free flying to shoot instead of active track, speed was up 35 mph (fully maxed out) flying backwards. I had a hard time keeping them perfectly in the frame but the shots are much cooler, especially the flying around the side then backwards in front shots.

I look forward to improving my game filming from the boat. Sketchiest part for me is always landing. Pretty much requires a hand catch,, and after one went wrong I have been a bit gunshy. Went halfway through my thumb nail, sprayed blood on the bird !
When flying from a boat it's a good idea to always have a dip net at the ready, just in case.

dipnet.jpg

Reactions: Spark 317
Take spare props and catch the Spark like a butterfly.

Reactions: RotorWash
I’m planning on taking some boating video and would like to set Spark to follow the boat. We would start slow get the follow Mode all set up and then accelerate up to cruising speed. About 20-23 mph. Do you think it will keep up in assisted ?
Thoughts ? Anybody done this before ?
I have used a Spark from a boat, it will keep up at around 20 to 30 km/h. BUT always keep sight of the drone. I had a moment of confusion when the drone did not update the home point on one occasions and I lost sight of the drone as it attempted to return to the last logged home point. I was only able to avoid disaster by finding the boat with the camera and visually flying the drone back to the boat, just in time. Make sure the dynamic home point is constantly updating.

I have used a Spark from a boat, it will keep up at around 20 to 30 km/h. BUT always keep sight of the drone. I had a moment of confusion when the drone did not update the home point on one occasions and I lost sight of the drone as it attempted to return to the last logged home point. I was only able to avoid disaster by finding the boat with the camera and visually flying the drone back to the boat, just in time. Make sure the dynamic home point is constantly updating.
Good save! It's not easy but the number one thing you can do when this happens is to stay calm and think. Also, if you find yourself bvlos and become discombobulated (can easily happen) and are without a RTH option, use the attitude indicator or map to point the red AC symbol back to your current location and then pitch forward to come home.

Howdy... Read this with interest as a question came up recently, does the Spark respond to follow mode in Litchi? I have used Litchi for quite some time, but really just for the waypoints... never tried the follow thing.... I just brought the Spark back out of storage to fool around with, and until the weather cooperates, I cant test it out for a while. Thanks in advance for any insight.

EDIT: I see now that it is supported, but I wonder what the top speed is, does it go as fast as Sport mode without tilting the gimbal? Thanks all!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme