Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How works precision landing ?

ricorico94

Join
Dec 20, 2017
Hi,
I'm wondering how "precision landing" is working (I should how to make it work..) on the Spark and which accuracy can be expected.

When I click on button to set home point, there's a message stating that it's orecise if setup above 6 or 7m high. So I did try to click on it after having the drone higher in the air, but when I ordered a RTH (to end my flight session, while it was "far away"), it came close to the point, but not that much (probably around 3-4m away from expected home point.
Is that normal ? Or do I need to use an orange landig pad ? (oes color matter ? Is spark using the camera to "look" and analyse ground ?

NB: it was outside in open land area.

br,
Ricorico94

Indeed, these are the instructions I was referring to.
But I'm wondering for instance what they mean by "scanning", as I don't think the camera gimbal looks down to ground during takeoff. Is it expecting detailed heights (like an elevated platform in middle of flat land when taking off?) ? Or colors (hence the orange landing pads sold on market ?) ?

The Spark uses the downward sensors (not the forward facing camera).

Where did you take off from?

It was from a band of grass land surrounded on one side by road and on the other side by concrete dock (and then water).. From what I could see, it came to me then stopped at a few meters away from landing point.. above a ship and starting going down. I then stopped the RTH to bring it back manually.
I was wondering if it was too close when I triggered the RTH, but in such case I understood it should have started to go down without getting close to me first.

It was from a band of grass land surrounded on one side by road and on the other side by concrete dock
Grass doesn't have a well defined pattern, so your landings are not going to be as precise in those areas. If you normally take off from grassy areas, then a landing pad would be a good item to pick up if it's important to land as precisely as possible. You can find a list of commonly used landing pads here.

From what I could see, it came to me then stopped at a few meters away from landing point.. above a ship and starting going down.
When using precision landing, your Spark will adjust its position while descending as it nears the takeoff spot. In the many times I've tested it, it always looks like it's going to miss the landing spot when it's high up in the air.

I was wondering if it was too close when I triggered the RTH, but in such case I understood it should have started to go down without getting close to me first.
Right. If the Spark is too close, it'll auto land at its current location when RTH is initiated.

So maybe I've stopped the RTH too quickly as it should have been able to find the grass, t least (even if ising the exact spot in grass due to grass' homogeonous pattern.
I'll try again.. further from water ! ;-)

Reactions: MikeSpark
I just made one with a excercise mat that I cut and doubled up and used a sharpie to to make a circle with a x in the middle.
The mat cost seven dollars.

I got one of the round bright orange ones from Banggood so that when I go out to the field, I look like I know what I'm doing:cool:

I just use an orange towell, lol. Works just like the "Helipad" for a few $$$.

Precision landing is very accurate.

Don't forget to rise vertically to about 10m altitude (or whatever that is in American feet) at launch.

This summer, I plan to take this to my mom’s lake cottage. The only good place that doesn’t have trees is a 10x10 section of dock ~20’ our in the water. If it misses With RTH, it will end up in the lake. Do you think it can hit this. On land, it seems very accurate and I can hit this. Thoughts?

Do you think it can hit this.
Yes. Will it be able to hit that target every time? I wouldn't count on it.

Play it safe and land the Spark yourself. Don't rely on RTH to return to the home point and land.

In the garden, I take off from a table. I am now confident it will always precision-land back onto that table (+/- 30 cm) every time I properly take off (10m straight up). As I fly standing away on a roof with magnetic interferences, that’s now the safest mode of operation for me.

All great ideas, as long as it's a flat and level semi-hard surface you will.be good to go. I use a piece of foam that can be rolled up and out in the side of backpack I keep the Mavic and Spark in for easy carry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers