Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I am always losing the video signal lately

bdee1

Join
Jul 26, 2018
Hi,
For the past couple weeks It seems that I am always losing my video signal during flights. at firs i thought it was a range issue because it usually happened when i was more then 1500 feet out. but the past 2-3 flights i have lost the video signal when it was almost directly overhead. I fly with the remote connected to my iphone X with the OTG cable.

I have been flying in the same areas i always do with my phone in airplane mode.

whenever i do lose the video signal, it stays gone for the duration of the flight. If i land, power down and power up again I get the video feed back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Usually you don't get good reception when the UAV is directly above your head since the antennas only transmit signals in directions perpendicular to the length of the antenna. Not sure about why the signal stayed gone for the duration of the flight though. Although I had similar problems when outside temperature is too high for my (android) phone to perform normally.

I try to avoid flying overhead! That is the worst place to have your drone, try to pick up a signal. Try flying out at least 100 feet in front of you (if you have the room),then climb up to the altitude you want, and see if you loose the signal. Also the environment you fly in has a lot to do with signal strength,and staying connected to the drone with a WiFi system. Often changing locations will solve the problem. When a spot was flown last week without problems, but this week is no good, usually,means there has been a change in conditions at the location! Maybe a new, near by WiFi system,ect has been put in place since your last time there!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Good to know about flying directly overhead. One of the big mysteries for me is why once it disconnects, it stays disconnected for the rest of the flight.

Had anyone else experienced that? I wouldn’t mind it so much if it just disconnected until I flew it away from the interference and then it would come back.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know about flying directly overhead. One of the big mysteries for me is why once it disconnects, it stays disconnected for the rest of the flight.

Had anyone else experienced that? I wouldn’t mind it so much if it just disconnected until I flew it away from the interference and then it would come back.

What happens if you close and re-open the app during the flight? Does it reconnect? What version of iOS and Go are you using?

Reactions: CarolinaDrones

I have an issue with it when using WiFi and it's on 5.8ghz. I don't use an OTG Cable and I don't have any problems on 2.4ghz, even overhead.
Maybe there's a short in the cable?

I selected 5.8 gHz as there aren't as many devices using that frequency. I've heard it shortens the Sparks range, but that hasn't been the results I've seen? My Spark will consistently reach 1 mile without any problems.At 1 1/2 miles,I will get a lost signal warning.

It's not clear to me, if you just don't have video feed, or you haven't control as well.

Could you continue your flight and land?

It's not clear to me, if you just don't have video feed, or you haven't control as well.

Could you continue your flight and land?

i was just losing the video signal, I still had full control and was able to land.

What happens if you close and re-open the app during the flight? Does it reconnect? What version of iOS and Go are you using?
closing and reopening the app doesn't seem to help. when i relaunch the app, it comes up to the home screen and never shows the blue "Go Fly" button.

I am using an iphone X on ios 12 with Go 4.3.3 (4220)

i was just losing the video signal, I still had full control and was able to land.
This means that connection between RC and spark, was alive, and it was RC-Device connection which was broken.

The problem is on your cable, or your phone-go4 app. Kill all apps running before takeoff, set your phone in airplane mode (no WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular), try another otg cable, and try with WiFi (not otg), so you can find the problem.

This means that connection between RC and spark, was alive, and it was RC-Device connection which was broken.

The problem is on your cable, or your phone-go4 app. Kill all apps running before takeoff, set your phone in airplane mode (no WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular), try another otg cable, and try with WiFi (not otg), so you can find the problem.

This may be it. I recently had an OTG cable go bad on me. It had been working fine for a couple months and then while flying one day, I changed batteries...and it wouldn't connect. I tried a backup cable I had and it worked fine. The next time I flew I tried the old cable again and it worked for a bit...then wouldn't work again... I finally just tossed it and bought a couple extra so I always have backups just in case.

Why are you using a OTG cable in the first place?My IOS devices work with or, without a OTG cable on the Spark! I can get out to 8000 feet using it either way,(the OTG cable, dose give me a warm fuzzy feeling though) but that's about it! LOL!

I also use an iPhone X running iOS 12. I had a similar problem with connectivity to my Spark.

I uninstalled the DJI Go app and reinstalled it fresh. That fixed it.

I would caution you to sync your flight records before uninstalling the app if you want them backed up in the cloud.

This may be it. I recently had an OTG cable go bad on me. It had been working fine for a couple months and then while flying one day, I changed batteries...and it wouldn't connect. I tried a backup cable I had and it worked fine. The next time I flew I tried the old cable again and it worked for a bit...then wouldn't work again... I finally just tossed it and bought a couple extra so I always have backups just in case.

I hadn’t thought of that. Any suggestions for the best org cable to use with iPhone?

Why are you using a OTG cable in the first place?My IOS devices work with or, without a OTG cable on the Spark! I can get out to 8000 feet using it either way,(the OTG cable, dose give me a warm fuzzy feeling though) but that's about it! LOL!
I am using the other cable because I had read that lots of people recommend using one. I haven’t acually tried flying without it. Maybe I will experiment with that too and see how it goes..

Reactions: Ron_Dog
I also use an iPhone X running iOS 12. I had a similar problem with connectivity to my Spark.

I uninstalled the DJI Go app and reinstalled it fresh. That fixed it.

I would caution you to sync your flight records before uninstalling the app if you want them backed up in the cloud.

I will be sure to give this a shot as well. Thanks for the tip!!

Reactions: CarolinaDrones
I selected 5.8 gHz as there aren't as many devices using that frequency. I've heard it shortens the Sparks range, but that hasn't been the results I've seen? My Spark will consistently reach 1 mile without any problems.At 1 1/2 miles,I will get a lost signal warning.

Really? I can’t go 100 Yards on 5.8ghz?
I am a network engineer and I know that the signal is stronger but the distance is shorter. The area I fly the most has low interference. I have never used a OTG Cable though.

I hadn’t thought of that. Any suggestions for the best org cable to use with iPhone?

I always use the OTG cable. Wired connections are less prone to interference compared to wifi. Cables are inexpensive but they don't all work. They appear similar on outside but different internals

I have tried a bunch and this one is best:

https://amzn.to/2KVdblv

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers