Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I am confused by new FAA rules (or can I pick you brains please?)

Andrei

Join
Jan 4, 2019
Some of the the new FAA rules confuse me, and I want to ask you (collective you) how you understand/interpret them. Specifically:

1) How *low* do these FAA rules apply? I mean, seriously, if I want to fly my Tello/Spark in front of my house, do I *really* have to call the local airport (closer than 5 miles away from me) to ask if I can fly even if I fully intend to fly *below* 10 feet?! I mean, in theory could I be fine or even imprisoned for flying a drone a couple of feet off the ground?

2) How far can we now fly? Specifically, I have a Spark whose theoretical max distance is about a mile. Now, in reality, I lose visual sight of it way before, I am 55, I wear corrective glasses, and my Spark si both small and white. There is no way I can see it without binoculars (which the FAA rules do not allow under their definition of "line of sight") after about HALF a mile. Does that really and literally mean that irrespective of the capabilities of the drone and how it is flow (with RC and under GPS/GLONASS) I now cannot legally fly it further than my (crappy) eyes allow me to see?! And what about those who have a Phantom who, if I remember correctly, can fly as far as 4 miles, even with a spotter they could not see it unaided at 4 miles away. Does that mean that the FAA basically has restricted all drones flight to remain under one mile (or even less, depending on your eyes)? That just sounds silly, no?

3) What do you do when there are 2 or even 3 airports around (a common thing in Florida)? The FAA rules say to call the ATC and the airport operator. Does that mean that I need to make SIX telephone calls and that ANY ONE of the six I call can veto my flying? I noticed that after hours some airports refer to the "big" ATC of larger airports even when they are further away than 5 miles. So in that case, could I just call the main, big, ATC, ask them for clearance and not deal with the many, shall way say, "DILLIGAF-like" small airport peppering the map of Florida?

4) Then, most airports in FL are small and have no ATC. When they have an ATC, they are typically too lazy to pick up the phone (or even to make their current tel# public - many airports have old, disconnected tel# listed in various apps and online!). So what do you do. Do you just have to call and if they don't specifically forbid you you can fly, or is it the other way around: unless everybody cleared you to fly, you are grounded? Say I call six numbers, 1 says "yes", one says "no" - what do I do? What if nobody answers?

5) Finally, I tried to register my drone at the FAA website, I was told that I could get an email confirmation email in 48 hours. It never came. Then I emailed the FAA. Never got a reply. What would you do? Are we supposed to run after them and spend hours trying to get them to implement their own rules according to their own regulations?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

How *low* do these FAA rules apply?
They apply as soon as your drone leaves the ground.

How far can we now fly?
You must keep the drone within VLOS. That means you can see it with your eyes (prescription glasses are okay).

What do you do when there are 2 or even 3 airports around (a common thing in Florida)? The FAA rules say to call the ATC and the airport operator.
Check out this article:
https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraf...actices-for-flying-your-drone-near-an-airport

unless everybody cleared you to fly, you are grounded?
Nobody needs to clear you. You're just notifying nearby airports that you're going to fly.

I tried to register my drone at the FAA website, I was told that I could get an email confirmation email in 48 hours
Are you sure you registered at this website? If so, check your spam box.

Reactions: Andrei
I give short answers so bear with me:

1) The FAA rules go all the way to the surface to the letter. But in some areas they will be lenient and say for instance "don't call unless you are over 50ft" or don't call unless you are closer than 3 miles" and so on. Remember, calling the airport is not "calling the FAA". FAA says you need to contact the tower if there is one, airport manager if there is not.

2) Line of sight is the limit. Yes, it is ridiculously limited but you need to see where you are. And, the FAA does not consider FPV as "extended sight" because you can only see what is in front forward travel. Not if something is coming at you from behind.

3) To the point, yes. I have had to plan some flights well in advance time wise to account for 6 phone calls at one shoot. Use the Airmap app to be sure of the airports. Make sure to zoom in on where you are at because the app shows you warnings for the entire screen of your mobile device. So there could be 40 warnings but in your exact area, only 2 for example.

4) Unless it is a class B airspace, you are not asking permission to fly as a Part 101E drone operator (used to be section 336). You are informing them of the flight, nothing more. Out my way, there are a lot of helipads with no number. In talking with my local airport, I was advised to treat them as "you know they are there, fly responsible". Kind of like the days you had to report if you had a fuel tank on your property, you had to report it...so do these pilots that have private helipads.

5) If you registered it during the government shutdown, that may be holding you up. You should be able to log back in and get a copy of your reg. number and printable card.

And back to #2...be safe <COUGH max it COUGH> be safe!

2) Line of sight is the limit. Yes, it is ridiculously limited but you need to see where you are. And, the FAA does not consider FPV as "extended sight" because you can only see what is in front forward travel. Not if something is coming at you from behind.

So when a Litchi mission is planned, say across a small Texas town, how is it within VLOS when the aircraft became "lost" on it's mission but was recovered later?

Must be one of those bend the rules thing as long nobody was hurt or property damaged?;)

Reactions: pmshop
So when a Litchi mission is planned, say across a small Texas town, how is it within VLOS when the aircraft became "lost" on it's mission but was recovered later?

Must be one of those bend the rules thing as long nobody was hurt or property damaged?;)

Small towns have their advantages :D

Reactions: Spark 317
Thanks for the pointers!

Some of the the new FAA rules confuse me, and I want to ask you (collective you) how you understand/interpret them. Specifically:

1) How *low* do these FAA rules apply? I mean, seriously, if I want to fly my Tello/Spark in front of my house, do I *really* have to call the local airport (closer than 5 miles away from me) to ask if I can fly even if I fully intend to fly *below* 10 feet?! I mean, in theory could I be fine or even imprisoned for flying a drone a couple of feet off the ground?

2) How far can we now fly? Specifically, I have a Spark whose theoretical max distance is about a mile. Now, in reality, I lose visual sight of it way before, I am 55, I wear corrective glasses, and my Spark si both small and white. There is no way I can see it without binoculars (which the FAA rules do not allow under their definition of "line of sight") after about HALF a mile. Does that really and literally mean that irrespective of the capabilities of the drone and how it is flow (with RC and under GPS/GLONASS) I now cannot legally fly it further than my (crappy) eyes allow me to see?! And what about those who have a Phantom who, if I remember correctly, can fly as far as 4 miles, even with a spotter they could not see it unaided at 4 miles away. Does that mean that the FAA basically has restricted all drones flight to remain under one mile (or even less, depending on your eyes)? That just sounds silly, no?

3) What do you do when there are 2 or even 3 airports around (a common thing in Florida)? The FAA rules say to call the ATC and the airport operator. Does that mean that I need to make SIX telephone calls and that ANY ONE of the six I call can veto my flying? I noticed that after hours some airports refer to the "big" ATC of larger airports even when they are further away than 5 miles. So in that case, could I just call the main, big, ATC, ask them for clearance and not deal with the many, shall way say, "DILLIGAF-like" small airport peppering the map of Florida?

4) Then, most airports in FL are small and have no ATC. When they have an ATC, they are typically too lazy to pick up the phone (or even to make their current tel# public - many airports have old, disconnected tel# listed in various apps and online!). So what do you do. Do you just have to call and if they don't specifically forbid you you can fly, or is it the other way around: unless everybody cleared you to fly, you are grounded? Say I call six numbers, 1 says "yes", one says "no" - what do I do? What if nobody answers?

5) Finally, I tried to register my drone at the FAA website, I was told that I could get an email confirmation email in 48 hours. It never came. Then I emailed the FAA. Never got a reply. What would you do? Are we supposed to run after them and spend hours trying to get them to implement their own rules according to their own regulations?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

no you dont have to call the airport...... if its within 2 miles yes.. just look at the app 4 miles and out dont bother.. 3-5 miles fly under 100 feet... that will make sure you dont hit any plane... after the 5 miels fly up to 400.. yes if you register you get a email and your number.. reemail them or check your email to make sure its the right one you gave them.. or your credit card statement make sure it was taken out.. its a automated system

thanks Locutus40!

thanks Locutus40!
no problem

the 5 mile rule thing is ridiculous in my opinion anyway... people fly without registering or telling anyone even within 2 miles im just saying... until cops start asking for your papers.. i wouolndt worry about it.. but do what you want.... im not giving advice on breaking the law... but the faa cant tell you what to do and i dont see no cops going oh lower your drone sir show me your papers.... unless you crash it or damage a car... then that number you have on it guess what youll be paying for a new roof or car.. lol so make sure to fly in open feilds and safe...

im all for small government and the people have power.. just wait.. in a year or so they will push for more laws like transponders.. and insurance and you must pay taxes.... that will be the death of it.. but ill keep flying on my own land.. to hell with you i own up to 50 feet on my land... lol sorry i love ranting

no you dont have to call the airport...... if its within 2 miles yes.. just look at the app 4 miles and out don't bother.. 3-5 miles fly under 100 feet... that will make sure you dont hit any plane... after the 5 miles fly up to 400.

That is incorrect:
Flying Near Airports

That being said, you may very well be flying under the conditions I am out here in the middle of nowhere.
My airport manager says I can fly without notifying him if I am outside 3 miles.
But other areas I have flown in require notification within 5 miles.
And, there are no altitude restrictions nearby small airports.
But at larger class B airoports, there is.
And, you have to be part 107 certified to fly within class B airspace even as a hobbyist!
At least that is my run-in with the FAA at Las Vegas.

But back to my local airport, here is last 4th of July.
I got clearance from the airport manager to fly at an altitude of 400ft only 925ft away from the runway:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe