Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I got an interesting eMail today from the FAA.

AirCam

Join
May 29, 2018
Loc
Florida
Hurricane Michael: Information for Drone Operators
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is warning drone owners and operators that they will be subject to significant fines that may exceed $20,000 and civil penalities if they interfere with emergency response operations in the areas affected by Hurricane Michael.

It had a lot more info, but the excerpt, above is the most important part. Since I live where it is expected to make landfall, flying a drone was a pretty low priority for me. I just thought it was interesting that the FAA is reminding drone owners about the rules. Good thing they did it today, because it is pretty certain that I won't have electricity, phone and internet this time tomorrow.

Good luck with the storm buddy an i hope you are not "flown away" by it. all the best

Hurricane Michael: Information for Drone Operators
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is warning drone owners and operators that they will be subject to significant fines that may exceed $20,000 and civil penalities if they interfere with emergency response operations in the areas affected by Hurricane Michael.

It had a lot more info, but the excerpt, above is the most important part. Since I live where it is expected to make landfall, flying a drone was a pretty low priority for me. I just thought it was interesting that the FAA is reminding drone owners about the rules. Good thing they did it today, because it is pretty certain that I won't have electricity, phone and internet this time tomorrow.
We're getting some pretty heavy wind and rain in Fort Myers from the outer bands, nothing compared to what you're about to get hit with... Godspeed!

They probably did an email blast based on your location provided in your FAA registration. Though a falling drone poses less danger than an out of control bicycle.... it's a bit of a paranoid response.

They probably did an email blast based on your location provided in your FAA registration. Though a falling drone poses less danger than an out of control bicycle.... it's a bit of a paranoid response.
It's not the "falling" they are concerned about. It's the interference with the emergency response activities (such as helicopters and other manned aviation).

That would be a big YES on the emergency response activities. I don't understand all of the details, but BOTH of the hospitals in Panama City had to shut down and air evac'd all of their patients to other hospitals. I saw more helicopters than I've ever seen before. Luckily, I was well prepared for a Category 1 hurricane. Unluckily, we had a strong Category 4 hurricane. Sparky was safely hiding in my car, in the garage, while the big tree fell on a different part of the house. The car also ]protected Sparky when part of the ceiling fell in the garage. I lost 16 trees that were 24" or larger diameter trunk size. I would estimate that 90 to 95 percent of the mature trees that were standing last week are now on the ground. It will take a long time to get used to the change from dense forest to the barren landscape we have now.

Attachments

• SWBefore.jpg
    SWBefore.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 30
  • SWAfter.jpg
    SWAfter.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 31

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members