Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I was reading the Grand Canyon thread, and it got me wondering...

JoeDimwit

Join
Mar 29, 2019
Loc
Pontiac, MI
What is the current record for flight above sea level, without violating the 400’ agl rule?

As in: you were in the mountains of Tennessee, at about 2,500’ above sea level, and went up 400’ to 2,900’ above sea level.

Let’s hear it Spark Pilots, what does our observed performance envelope really look like? Anyone had a successful flight above 10,000’ ASL?

I’ll answer first. I live at about 600’ ASL, and have been up around 350’ AGL, so that makes around 950’ ASL.

Edit: I KNOW that is nowhere near the limits of this craft.

I think the Spark specs mention a maximum ASL height. I want to say something in the thousands of meters, but not sure.

I think the Spark specs mention a maximum ASL height. I want to say something in the thousands of meters, but not sure.

Page 46 of the Spark User Manual. Looks just like a warning to me. Doesn't mean that the Spark will stop working beyond that altitude. Although the atmospheric conditions may be severe (cold, wind etc.) at that altitude and the AC may not function normally.

Spark Manual - Page 46.JPG

Isn't the spark limited to 1.5 miles? That altitude is almost 2.5 miles away from the controller.

Isn't the spark limited to 1.5 miles? That altitude is almost 2.5 miles away from the controller.

Not if you are standing on top of a 13,000 ft. peak with the controller.

I live in Flagstaff Arizona at an altitude of 7000 feet above sea level and have flown at elevations as high as 9,000 feet without issue. There is a 12,600 foot peak right outside of town. Unfortunately I believe the summit is a wilderness area so I won’t be flying from there.

Page 46 of the Spark User Manual. Looks just like a warning to me. Doesn't mean that the Spark will stop working beyond that altitude. Although the atmospheric conditions may be severe (cold, wind etc.) at that altitude and the AC may not function normally.

View attachment 9673

The 13,000' altitude limit is not due to extreme weather such as cold and wind.

As altitude increases the air density decreases*. The Spark cannot generate enough lift to remain airborne once the air gets too thin.

Some cold is actually beneficial because it increases air density. I am aware that DJI has an operating temperature range listed in the manual -- no need to show me a screen shot :D

* corrected post

Last edited:
Reactions: nilanjan118
As altitude increases the air density increases. The Spark cannot generate enough lift to remain airborne once the air gets too thin.
Actually as altitude increases, air density decreases

The 13,000' altitude limit is not due to extreme weather such as cold and wind.

As altitude increases the air density decreases*. The Spark cannot generate enough lift to remain airborne once the air gets too thin.

Some cold is actually beneficial because it increases air density. I am aware that DJI has an operating temperature range listed in the manual -- no need to show me a screen shot :D

* corrected post

You are right. I think I should have rather written that cold and wind may cause difficulty for humans to function normally. ?

If they will allow it, it might be interesting to take my Spark to the top of Snowbird Ski Resort (11,000 ft (3,353 m)) and see what happens. Might have to wait, they still have 147 Inches of snow.

Nice.

Are those telescopes on the corner of the building?

The night sky must look great.

Thanks. I wouldn’t have thought to check the altitude if it weren’t for this post.
The spark flew well here but I was pretty winded after walking up and down the stairs (live at sea level normally).
That building has a hotel, shop, cafe and observatory. Sat at the benches outside and had lunch.
Fortunate to have been there on such a clear day.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe