Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Ice in the Harbour

RotorWash

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 18, 2019
Loc
P.E.I., Canada
Last edited:
Watching my own video just now, thought I'd point out to any new flyers (since you can see my landing pad on the wharf) it's not a good idea to take off from the concrete due to heavy rebar and lots of other metal sheathing all around. It will mess with your compass and may cause all sorts of grief after that. I just used the pad for prepping but I won't even turn the bird on unless I'm holding it at shoulder level. I then hand launched and caught with each flight and even then it was a bit risky. I hit atti mode a couple of times a few meters from the wharf but for just 3-4 seconds. The bird is perfectly controllable under atti mode but winds can easily cause problems if you're new to flying. In addition to that issue, there is also a lot of power line & radio transmission in the area including ham radio but I've never had an issue whatsoever with my controller/video link (5.8GHz) as of yet.

Very nicely done. When I was a kid I lived in Rock Island Arsenal on the Mississippi. The river would freeze to a solid sheet of ice from shore to shore. When it would start to thaw it would crack and it sounded like a rifle shot.

Don't see beautiful winter scenery like that down here in Texas.

Reactions: RotorWash
Very nicely done. When I was a kid I lived in Rock Island Arsenal on the Mississippi. The river would freeze to a solid sheet of ice from shore to shore. When it would start to thaw it would crack and it sounded like a rifle shot.

Don't see beautiful winter scenery like that down here in Texas.
Thank you SoccerRef12. lol, I know exactly what you mean about the ice cracking, can give one quite a jolt when not expecting it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit