Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Image Composite Editor... Wow... Seriously impressed

Spark_md

Join
May 22, 2019
Had a couple of clients ask for 3-5ha of land to be flown over to get a full lay of the land using the drone.

I figured, sure, this can't be too hard in photoshop with as many photo's of the area as I can take in a few batteries in some sort of zig zag, up and down pattern with the camera facing the same direction and down at the floor etc and then stitching them all together (all the while thinking [Language Removed], this is going to be loooong")

Joined here yesterday having spent a few hours trawling the internet to find some sort of program to use to stitch all these images together.

I found loads of them, the top few I tried with little success in getting the result I wanted, well, at least with ease.

Found a thread talking about Image Composite Editor, gave it try with some of the photo's, it worked, but not so great.

It was about 9pm last night when I figured, sure, there's just enough day light outside to try a quick video on the farm and then put that through the video stitcher in ICE and see what the result was like...

DJI_0283_stitch2.jpg

Pretty good, but only 1 up and 1 down pass, over 200mtr2

Gave it a proper test today, several passes over about 3ha of land covered at 50mtrs agl.

This was just a test fight to see if the program could handle it, the land goes on for another 3ha!

I had about 5 minutes of battery left when I had finished the passes, videos is 9:32 long.

Made the pc work a little bit, but nothing to strenuous. Maybe 15 minutes at 60-70% load on the cpu.

pc usage.jpg

Here's the Zoomed out (with a water mark) 4702x7062 at 11mb

1st stitch wid.png

Zoomed in (also with water mark!)

zoomed in 235%.jpg

I am super happy, looking forward to getting the final video shot and the whole plot in 1 nice massive sized photo.

Super easy, super happy (hope you love them full sized photo's!)

Thanks a lot

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Found a thread talking about Image Composite Editor,

Same here, a member posted instructions on how to use ICE a while back to create "Tiny Planet" spheres of the Spark.

I know nothing of photo software and produced a few photos right off the bat with his instructions.

20171201_152455.jpg

I have yet to venture into the full potential of the ICE software, but yours looks good so far.

Same here, a member posted instructions on how to use ICE a while back to create "Tiny Planet" spheres of the Spark.

I know nothing of photo software and produced a few photos right off the bat with his instructions.

View attachment 10142

I have yet to venture into the full potential of the ICE software, but yours looks good so far.

I LOVE that one!! That's very well done!!

Reactions: Spark 317
Nice ! I've been using ICE for 1+ year for Spheres and 3x3 Panos but had never thought of trying the "Panorama from Video" feature although I noticed it again yesterday.
Any recommendations on how to fly ? Gimbal straight down and going up and down trying to overlap ? Programming a FlightPlan might make things easier.

Nice ! I've been using ICE for 1+ year for Spheres and 3x3 Panos but had never thought of trying the "Panorama from Video" feature although I noticed it again yesterday.
Any recommendations on how to fly ? Gimbal straight down and going up and down trying to overlap ? Programming a FlightPlan might make things easier.

A flight plan would make life easier, as long as the camera stays facing one direction (obviously down, but then the drone stays facing north for instance)

Then I just made sure there was a bit of overlap during each pass. Super simple, then import the video, set the start and end points and your good to go!

@spark317

Loving that tinyplanet... Thanks for the link

I use ICE extensively for still panoramas using a regular camera, the Spark and Mavic Pro and have gotten wonderful results. Dealing with long straight lines such as on roads and fences is often the only difficulty. Minor variations in optics and exposures are stiched very well.10159

Great job. I did a similar test with ICE to check if it can be used with manual panos. So I took about 16 photos with the gimbal pointing straight down and manually moved the AC sideways, up-down between each photo. I stitched them using ICE and here is the result.

Attachments

• DJI_3017_stitch.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I use ICE extensively for still panoramas using a regular camera, the Spark and Mavic Pro and have gotten wonderful results. Dealing with long straight lines such as on roads and fences is often the only difficulty. Minor variations in optics and exposures are stiched very well.View attachment 10159
super photo!

Thank you. It is a 3 separate frame HDR (3 exp AEB) panorama with a Spark on a trip to the Lake district of England. The Image Composite Editor as you may know is a free software courtesy of Microsoft.

Thank you. It is a 3 separate frame HDR (3 exp AEB) panorama with a Spark on a trip to the Lake district of England. The Image Composite Editor as you may know is a free software courtesy of Microsoft.
I am yet to try panaroma and AEB together. May I know which software you used to combine the exposure bracketed images?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers