Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

In a bad spot...

graywoulf

Endeavor to Persevere
Premium Pilot
Join
Mar 30, 2018
Loc
NC
Made a flight near my home the other day and I found out just how bad my depth perception is... the hard way. Good thing was as I was ascending, and flying LOS, when I looked at the monitor I knew it was time to come back down a bit. This could have ended badly and was my first bad event with my Spark. But I guess this means that the high voltage wires don't cause me any interference. Lucky me. ;)

A bad place 1.jpgA bad place 2.jpg

I've seen several videos of flights within close proximity to high tension power lines without any ill effects or squirrely results. I wouldn't want to temp fate, but it appears to not be the recipe for disaster some think. My biggest concern would be the magnetic fields around the lines affecting the compass, but it must not be too vulnerable. Of course colliding with any of the structure would guarantee bad results and may involve restitution with the power company. Glad it turned out ok for you graywoulf.

Made a flight near my home the other day and I found out just how bad my depth perception is... the hard way. Good thing was as I was ascending, and flying LOS, when I looked at the monitor I knew it was time to come back down a bit. This could have ended badly and was my first bad event with my Spark. But I guess this means that the high voltage wires don't cause me any interference. Lucky me. ;)

View attachment 12569View attachment 12570

You win! :)

Could have ended like this.

20180707_124246.jpg

At least it landed. ?

I had a similar situation while flying at dusk in Scotland, but mine was easy to back out of. Your's looks like a bit of a squeeze.

Skye Power lines.jpg

It was not a bad situation to get out of. Since the Spark was holding steady, all I had to do was descend straight down following the path I took to get there. Or I could have just as easily flown higher and then moved over. I was more surprised at the situation than scared of it. But it won't happen again. :)

wow, that is interesting that you didn’t receive any interference between all those wires and towers.

i was flying my spark, taking some aerial photos downward of the top of a large metal dome atop a building and my screen started glitching. even looking back on the footage, the glitches actually recorded. it was bizarre.

really cool shots, though!

Reactions: graywoulf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe