Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Insurance for lost drone?

DroneAlone

Join
Dec 14, 2017
Have seen YouTube videos for the DJI refresh insurance which looks pretty good to a complete novice Pilot like me but...does anyone offer an insurance product for the loss of a drone I.e. losing it in deep water or similar cirumstance where the unit cannot be retrieved? If so how expensive is something like this and has anyone ever successfully claimed on one?

Have seen YouTube videos for the DJI refresh insurance which looks pretty good to a complete novice Pilot like me but...does anyone offer an insurance product for the loss of a drone I.e. losing it in deep water or similar cirumstance where the unit cannot be retrieved? If so how expensive is something like this and has anyone ever successfully claimed on one?

State Farm - about $60/year for a Spark. I have never filed a claim on my drone, but my experience in general with State Farm is that they pay. It's basically personal property insurance. For me it is worth it since it makes me less worried when I fly. It actually also covers the RC and 2 batteries (lose a drone, lose one battery also).

State Farm - about $60/year for a Spark. I have never filed a claim on my drone, but my experience in general with State Farm is that they pay. It's basically personal property insurance. For me it is worth it since it makes me less worried when I fly. It actually also covers the RC and 2 batteries (lose a drone, lose one battery also).
Thanks, that sounds pretty good, I'm based in the UK (which I should have mentioned! Doh) so not sure I could use them? I'll look them up just in case though, thanks for the info

I’m in the uk, and also looked into drone insurance. There were a couple of options six months ago, but one of the providers pulled out. The only one I’m aware of now is ICARUS - not sure how much cover they offer though.

I ended up taking dji care Refresh. Just seemed a better option.

I think the best insurance though is the owner. Read the manual, follow the instructions, make sure you always have gps and rth locked in, and plenty of battery to get back - and you should be fine.

Reactions: bath1968
I’m in the uk, and also looked into drone insurance. There were a couple of options six months ago, but one of the providers pulled out. The only one I’m aware of now is ICARUS - not sure how much cover they offer though.

I ended up taking dji care Refresh. Just seemed a better option.

I think the best insurance though is the owner. Read the manual, follow the instructions, make sure you always have gps and rth locked in, and plenty of battery to get back - and you should be fine.
Ok thanks, I'm going to go for the refresh option from DJI, seems like a no brainer to me given my current level of experience, you're not wrong about the owner either, will be absorbing all I can before taking to the air :D cheers

In the UK, check with your house contents insurer. A straight loss or breakage is often covered under "Personal Possessions" - I know LV and Aviva household insurance does cover drones

Reactions: Englishbloke
In the UK, check with your house contents insurer. A straight loss or breakage is often covered under "Personal Possessions" - I know LV and Aviva household insurance does cover drones
Very good point! I'll look in to that as I'm insured with Aviva, thanks

If you go down the care refresh route then always set a maximum height and distance, then should you have a flyaway Dji must accept responsibility due to a failure of their software..

I was also thinking of taking the Care Refresh for the case my new to buy Spark will fly away from me. But if I look into the terms of use, it says following:

DJI Care Refresh does not cover the following:
1) Lost or partially lost aircraft, gimbal or accessories.
2) Stolen, forgotten, or abandoned product.
3) Damage caused by flight under unsuitable conditions.
4) Remote controller, battery of Inspire 2, Phantom 4 Pro and Phantom 4 Advanced, and modification accessories.
5) Deliberate losses.
6) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the product.
7) Direct or indirect losses caused by force majeure.
8) Replacement requests for damage incurred outside the period of validity.
9) Extra fees resulting from technical enhancements or performance improvements.
10) Damage resulting from modifications that are not in accordance with manual recommendations, or the use of incompatible batteries and charger.
11) Damage resulting from the use of third party accessories, batteries or software.

'Lost' in the sense of forgetting where you left it, is not covered. 'Lost' due to failure of the software to limit the range of flight will most certainly be covered..

'Lost' in the sense of forgetting where you left it, is not covered. 'Lost' due to failure of the software to limit the range of flight will most certainly be covered..

That would be good, but if Spark goes into Atti (due to weak GPS) while within the set distance range, I think then the distance limit will not work, right? If you have a subsequent flyaway in that case is it still a warranty issue?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers