Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Interesting quote from DJI Tech/Tester

aviscomi

Premium Pilot
Join
May 27, 2017
Loc
Philadelphia, PA
For those of you that are "on the fence" deciding between a Mavic or Spark and for some of you that are expecting Mavic type performance from the Spark, please note the quote below from a respected DJI Tech/Tester:

Selfie.JPG

What he's saying is absolutely true. People want Spark to be one small Mavic, but it's not.

Reactions: Mike T
That was me he was quoting. I wouldn't believe much of what either of those supposed dji employees say. They may work in the call center but really don't know anything useful.

Reactions: JeyTea
yes but the spark is Not only a selfie drone..it is much more..
Of course not a mavic but also not only a selfie drone

Well, it literally is a small Mavic. Features, controller, flight characteristics. It's just better at selfies.
Also, that was his attempt at shifting blame of sparks falling out of sky to the user.

What he's saying is absolutely true. People want Spark to be one small Mavic, but it's not.
Exactly...I own the Spark (actually 2 Sparks), along with many other DJI platforms. With that said, I think the Spark is a cool little gadget that is slightly overpriced. I was flying both my Mavic & Spark at a local drone "Show & Tell" this past weekend and people loved the Jedi features of the Spark, but were also impressed with the Mavic's range.

That was me he was quoting. I wouldn't believe much of what either of those supposed dji employees say. They may work in the call center but really don't know anything useful.
I can assure you that they know way more than the Moderators on the DJI forum. Bladestrike has helped me through many issue in regards to my I2

Well, it literally is a small Mavic. Features, controller, flight characteristics. It's just better at selfies.
Also, that was his attempt at shifting blame of sparks falling out of sky to the user.
@Jeff7577 I'm not trying to take the focus off the "falling out of sky" issue, which is genuine. But the Spark is NOT a small Mavic. If it was, it surely would not be using WIFI as a connection.

@Jeff7577 I'm not trying to take the focus off the "falling out of sky" issue, which is genuine. But the Spark is NOT a small Mavic. If it was, it surely would not be using WIFI as a connection.

I totally agree. This is a "toy" compared to other DJI drones. Don't get me wrong, its a fun little thing but to say its a mini mavic is waaaay off. As much as people are complaining about the distance and RC issues I think it is what it is. I'm sure DJI will release firmware updates to resolve most of the issues.

Reactions: LMTLESS
As I stated above, I was flying my Spark & Mavic over this past weekend in a wide open field. I purposely flew the Spark WITHOUT the OTG cable in anticipation of it being removed in the next FW release and the video reception/latency on my iPad Mini4 w/cellular was deplorable at approx. 1,000 feet out & 80 feet up.

DJI guy said:
No matter what people want the Spark to be, it's a wifi selfie drone

What a nonsense from this DJI guy.

The Spark is a great tool. But it is not a selfie drone. Too expensive, too heavy (even above 250g !!), too large, too difficult to use.

E.g., this is a selfie drone: AirSelfie | Life-size emotions and there are more like this ...

I say:

No matter what DJI wants the Spark to be, it's NOT a selfie drone

You may quote me ;)

Reactions: COLAB and JeyTea
What a nonsense from this DJI guy.

The Spark is a great tool. But it is not a selfie drone. Too expensive, too heavy (even above 250g !!), too large, too difficult to use.

E.g., this is a selfie drone: AirSelfie | Life-size emotions and there are more like this ...

I say:

No matter what DJI wants the Spark to be, it's NOT a selfie drone

You may quote me ;)
"Too expensive"...100% agree, should have been priced @ $399 w/RC, though Apple is selling this for $499 Apple now sells a 'selfie' drone camera

"Too heavy"...well I believe that's an issue for you all outside of the US, which is unfortunate.

"Too difficult to use"...this probably wouldn't be a concern if all the features worked as advertised in promo videos.

In conclusion, please note that the Spark is/has been marketed as a "Story Telling" device. Please reflect back to the live release at Grand Central Station (NYC)

In conclusion, please note that the Spark is/has been marketed as a "Story Telling" device. Please reflect back to the live release at Grand Central Station (NYC)
I am perfectly aware of what DJI tried to achieve with the Spark project. The marketing campaign reflects it and it is clear DJI wanted a chunk from the emerging selfie drone market.

The point is: DJI failed. For a selfie drone, the Spark is over-engineered and too expensive. A true selfie drone would still have to come at half weight and half price. The sooner DJI realizes, the sooner they can get a hold in the selfie market.

In the meantime, DJI shouldn't lie to themselves. They should uncripple what they crippled (e.g., a hacked Spark has all Mavic flight modes enabled and with decent antennae, reach is 1+ km even in CE mode which is plenty for most use cases). And make the Spark a story telling tool for people capable of telling stories. If DJI does not react, they risk to loose all market to the Mavic which is only a tad more expensive.

Reactions: Glen e
I am perfectly aware of what DJI tried to achieve with the Spark project. The marketing campaign reflects it and it is clear DJI wanted a chunk from the emerging selfie drone market.

The point is: DJI failed. For a selfie drone, the Spark is over-engineered and too expensive. A true selfie drone would still have to come at half weight and half price. The sooner DJI realizes, the sooner they can get a hold in the selfie market.

In the meantime, DJI shouldn't lie to themselves. They should uncripple what they crippled (e.g., a hacked Spark has all Mavic flight modes enabled and with decent antennae, reach is 1+ km even in CE mode which is plenty for most use cases). And make the Spark a story telling tool for people capable of telling stories. If DJI does not react, they risk to loose all market to the Mavic which is only a tad more expensive.
100% agree...Not sure what DJI was thinking. They (DJI) should have either went in the "full blown" selfie direction as you described above or either given the Spark occusync and named it "Mavic Jr. edition".

I use mine for real estate photos. It's the fastest deploying drone in my fleet.

I use mine for real estate photos. It's the fastest deploying drone in my fleet.
I imagine it would be perfect for this use...are you doing interiors also?

I imagine it would be perfect for this use...are you doing interiors also?
Yes, when high stills are required. It's great.

I was flying both my Mavic & Spark at a local drone "Show & Tell" this past weekend and people loved the Jedi features of the Spark, but were also impressed with the Mavic's range.
Laurel Acres Park?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers