Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Internal Fan

Aloha-boy

Join
Jun 14, 2017
From day one of ownership(I was on the 2nd wave of preorders), my internal fan would turn on at startup, run throughout the whole flight, and still be on at landing. At first I thought it was the summer heat causing it to run constantly since I live in Vegas. When winter came it was still the same, my internal fan would constantly run. Anyone experiencing this? Is this normal?

Mine is on when it's below freezing ... pretty sure it's always on when the Spark is turned on.

Reactions: Stanlee
Thanks for the reply guys! I wonder how much the fan robs from our flight time? Could DJI write in code to turn on/off at certain temps? If not, I guess the Spark will constantly run hot.

Gotcha thanks. Still curious to know how much the cooling fan takes off from the total flight time.

It's sort of like asking how much running time is lost when you take the cooling fan off a gasoline engine.

The answer? Most of it, forever :D

Have you noticed how warm the Spark gets when just sitting on the ground, turned on, without even the motors running? That's with the fan on ... I'm suspecting that its on-board processor would cook in pretty short order if there was no fan to keep it within a reasonable operating temperature range.

It's sort of like asking how much running time is lost when you take the cooling fan off a gasoline engine.

The answer? Most of it, forever:D

Have you noticed how warm the Spark gets when just sitting on the ground, turned on, without even the motors running? That's with the fan on ... I'm suspecting that its on-board processor would cook in pretty short order if there was no fan to keep it within a reasonable operating temperature range.
Yes unless it’s super cold the processor needs the fan I live in Vermont the last two nights it’s been -17 F wish there was a thermostat on the the fan

Yes unless it’s super cold the processor needs the fan I live in Vermont the last two nights it’s been -17 F wish there was a thermostat on the the fan

You're one tough cookie to be out flying in that weather. A thermostat controlled fan would make some sense if ambient air by itself would keep things cool.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi

Wow Ive just come back flying my Spark in about 2*c and my Samsung s8 phone died on me after just the second battery.
one minute my mobile said it had 55% left then next I looked it was shutting down.
I tried for a few minutes to get my phone switched back on but no hope that thing was coming back to life.
I couldn't imagine at -17*f, How do you stop your devices from dying on yourself???

Aside from an array of microcontrollers, the Spark also has a hefty on-board transmitter. It all must be cooled hence, the fan runs as long as the Spark does.

Aside from an array of microcontrollers, the Spark also has a hefty on-board transmitter. It all must be cooled hence, the fan runs as long as the Spark does.

Yes. The internal fan is only meant to provide auxiliary cooling. The primary cooling is intended to be the airflow from flight. Get that thing airborne asap to prevent overheating

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme