Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Internet connection for GPS?

Fairwind

Join
Mar 10, 2018
Simple question...Does my phone need to be connected to the internet for my GPS map to work? I tried my phone (galaxy s8) which always done a great job with the spark. It no longer has internet connection but last couple times I went to fly my GPS was not working. I'm afraid to takeoff without it recording my home point and showing my location on the map. I fly via GPS a lot. Any info on this?

Which drone?

Usually the phone needs internet to fetch the map. Some applications can download a map for an area before you go out. Most will work without the map, just can't show the map on the screen.

The Go4 app gives you the option to download offline maps. Before going out to fly, just connect your phone to a WiFi network and download the map of the area where you wish to fly. I have been using this method and flying with no active internet on my phone since the day I bought my Spark.

you should put your phone in airplane mode this way if somebody calls you it wont disconnect your phone from the RC and you really don't need any downloads coming in while flying also turns off bluetooth . the GPS is in the Spark . you don't need GPS to fly but you need it too RTH and hold steady in heavy winds . as for the maps you need to download maps but you don't need them to fly . you just won't see where you are in the map feature . some of my better quads don't have a map feature because they don't have a phone connected to it , i have been flying them for years . what you need it the pointed arrow to show the direction and heading of your Spark . if your spark is out of site all you have to do is point your stick opposite of the point and it will come back to you . just make sure you are high enugf so you won't hit anything on the way home .

Spark uses it's own GPS receiver to RTH, not the phone's. Airplane Mode is a good idea. Yea, I've had scammers call me during flights.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast