Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is there a Spark v2 on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonO

Join
Dec 29, 2018
Just before I commit to a Spark, just seeing on the chances of there being a newer version out in the next few months. It appears that the Mavic Air is a sort of Spark 2, but just wanted to see if better to wait a few months (and either get spark2 or a reduced original)?

I think there will eventually be a replacement, but who knows when (DJI always play their cards close to their chest). Therefore, if you will have an opportunity to use a drone, but it now. If you won’t fly much in the coming months, wait and see (in my inexpert opinion, I wouldn’t expect a new model till summer).

Spark is Spark.
Mavic's are another level .

It doesn't matter wich one you are going to buy, if you can fly without issues during this season go for it.

BTW: first improvement i wish to find in a next gen Spark is a real, solid and stable transmission signal. I'am sick of WiFi issues i get sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy
Spark is Spark.
Mavic's are another level .

It doesn't matter wich one you are going to buy, if you can fly without issues during this season go for it.

BTW: first improvement i wish to find in a next gen Spark is a real, solid and stable transmission signal. I'am sick of WiFi issues i get sometimes.
I think the Mavic air 2 will have ocusync transmission and the new spark 2 will get what transmission the air 1 has now. That is how DJI works I can see how it's going to go down. Spark 2 will have 4k and what they call Enhanced Wi-Fi

And the new Mavic Air 2 will have ocusync transmission.

I think the Mavic air 2 will have ocusync transmission and the new spark 2 will get what transmission the air 1 has now. That is how DJI works I can see how it's going to go down. Spark 2 will have 4k and what they call Enhanced Wi-Fi

And the new Mavic Air 2 will have ocusync transmission.
You may be right.
What I want from a new Spark is a three axis gimbal

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Yeah I forgot about that the spark 2 will definitely have that feature it's the most moaned about lack of on the spark.

And the Mavic Air was born.

Basically a Spark with a couple of bells and whistles added but still uses WiFi.

Just before I commit to a Spark, just seeing on the chances of there being a newer version out in the next few months. It appears that the Mavic Air is a sort of Spark 2, but just wanted to see if better to wait a few months (and either get spark2 or a reduced original)?

That's the funny thing about something being "on the horizon" -- no matter how far you travel you can never actually reach the horizon!

I'm sure DJI has plans for a Spark 2. Even a Spark 3. Most tech companies plan several models in advance.

But their competition has all but faded away and they sell every Spark 1 they manufacture. No reason to upgrade the Spark any time soon as it will only cannibalize Mavic Air sales.

Reactions: AirCam
Waiting for reduced price? What price would be a reduced? Like how much money you can possibly save by sitting and waiting? $100 after 6 months?
When you 45 years old you should be able to buy new mavic zoom after one month of savings. Ok 3 months top.

Don’t buy expensive toys when you think how to save $100. I repeat: expensive toys.

Reactions: nilanjan118
I'd love a Spark 2 but I doubt it.

I kind of feel that the issue DJI face is how do they upgrade the Spark without destroying their market for the Mavic Pro and Air?

The only thing drawing me to those drones is either 4k, 3-axis gimbal, and/or the better transmission connection. If a new Spark was released with any of those capabilities then why would anyone buy the Mavic models?

Business wise a Spark 2 would be a poor decision. But I hope DJI prove me wrong!

Reactions: Sparky007
I’d love raw files, personally. I would guess that’s a modest firmware change, but I’m not expecting it any time soon for the same reason - it would stop me buying a mavic

I'd love a Spark 2 but I doubt it.

I kind of feel that the issue DJI face is how do they upgrade the Spark without destroying their market for the Mavic Pro and Air?

The only thing drawing me to those drones is either 4k, 3-axis gimbal, and/or the better transmission connection. If a new Spark was released with any of those capabilities then why would anyone buy the Mavic models?

Business wise a Spark 2 would be a poor decision. But I hope DJI prove me wrong!

I believe even with upgrades people would still be buying the Spark mostly for simple use and its size. A low profile drone will be in demand as regulation of drones increases. People will still buy the more expensive drones because they’re simply better flyers, flight time, distance and so on, with better cameras.
There is a market for each drone.

I recently bought a Spark and wondered if I should have waited for a Spark 2. I’m glad I didn’t. It was my first drone and it was a perfect vehicle to learn how to fly, learn how to take cinematic shots, learn how to take off, land, avoid swallows that wanted to attack my Spark, etc. And if I crashed into something, I’m not moaning the loss of a $1,500 drone. So my advice is buy a Spark and learn how to use all its capabilities, which by the way are many. Like a camera, buy any camera and learn to be a photographer with it. For me, I hope the Spark 2 comes out in a year or more as I’m not ready for it yet.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, SirFin.

You are correct.
Just because one may purchase expensive equipment doesn't make one a better photographer.

Learn to use what you have at first and then move up as the skills develop.

I think the Spark is perfect for that.

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Reactions: voodoo and SirFin
I was talking to my local authorised DJI dealer about that this week (you know you spend too much on R.P.A. when your local dealer knows you by sight and you're on a first name basis lol).

We both pretty well agreed it would be hard to make something with improved specs and features and keep it at the same price point especially taking into account all the price cutting since it was first released. It's a great little unit at it's current price point but to introduce significant updates would bring the price perilously close to the Mavic Air.

if there was a quantum leap in manufacturing that allowed a significant drop in production costs ... maybe ... but like P.C.'s we're reaching a bottle neck as far as further miniaturisation goes.

Regards
Dec

Last edited:
spark 2 no.. they made it already its the air drone.... dji is famouse for not fixing problems and just making a whole new drone..... its called the i dont give a crap bought the consumers and lets make profit.. company sorta like apple does to us....

it's better not to get a spark at all. With flyaways and the way DJI handles flyaways is absurd. In my whole life I have never had a hassle dealing with a company. What I'm referring to is when a spark drone out of nowhere flies away and for a company not to take the responsibility is utterly ridiculous. Their whole process dealing with flyaways is wait till you get an email it's always wait wait wait so if I was you I would either get the Maverick and stay completely away from the spark drone. Don't get me wrong the spark drone is fun. But if it should fly away it's like playing the lottery with DJI. Your chances of getting another one is like playing the lottery. You probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery then you do of DJI given you another drone for free. You make it a drone and it never happened to you but the more you fly it the better chances are going to be a fly away. What DJI they really have no competition so they can treat people like crap and tell new competition gets in the door to compete with DJI. That's when they will stop treating people like crap. Other than that good luck I don't wish this treatment on anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe