Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

iso Spark replacement

tahoejeff

Join
Apr 26, 2019
Sold my Spark last week, while it still had some value. Now I'm looking for a new drone. I'm a recreational flier. I probably only take it out 4-5 times a year. Considering the DJI Mini 3 Pro.
Anyone here that has owned both models? Would you recommend it? I guess top of my list is battery life, after a 13 minute Spark battery. I like the idea that it's light enough that I won't have to license it or worry about the FCC phone home rules. I have read that it doesn't do well in high winds. Are the motors weaker than the Spark?
After what I've posted, would the mini 3 pro be a good fit for me, or is there a better fit that doesn't go much past $1000? I'd prefer to buy new. Would like to spend less, but don't want junk.
Edit: I can save $150 if I choose the remote that uses my phone instead of a built in screen. Thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I've had my Spark for a good 5 years, and still love flying it.
Never had a Mini, though I am on the MavicPilots forum with my M1P, and read a lot about the Minis.
I also just picked up a 2nd hand Mini (original model) for a pittance for a neighbours lad, his first drone to learn on, and have flown that with him last week.

I know the biggest comment I see on the Minis from the original to the M3P is how toy like they feel, flimsy compared to others, and light (duh !).
This is understandable as they are also so light and small (at least folded, the Spark is smaller when the Mini 3 is unfolded).

The Mini 3 (and Mini 2) both do quite well in winds, though of course wind handling with lighter weight and buffeting about can be worse in a lighter drone, but the gimbal should counter that reasonably well.
The Mini 3s are actually a cat 5 wind resistance drone up to 38km/hr.
Motors are matched to weight etc, so don't sweat that.

You will get great flight time of course from the std battery (say 25 - 30 mins real time landing with a decent % left), and if you want to stay sub 250g you can't go with the extra battery (51 mins say up to real time 45 mins ?) as it pushes past that weight category.
Of course if you are really isolated, and flying remote etc, who will really know.

But if I was buying a Mini style drone right now, it'd be the Mini 3 (not pro), I don't need the quad bayer type 48mp option for decent photos, the 12mp is fine, and all the rest of the video etc are same in both.
I'd certainly buy a flymore package and if possible the DJI-RC . . . having that little quicker setup / less hassle would be sweet :)

Over here that package is AU$1278, so about US$861, so leaves a nice budget surplus for a case / backpack to hold the lot and little extras like ND filters, strobe etc if you use those sorts of things, and of course you might want to take up Care Refresh type cover too.

Good luck with the choice and upgrade.
I know I'd miss my Spark and it's bombproof build / nature.

I've had my Spark for a good 5 years, and still love flying it.
Never had a Mini, though I am on the MavicPilots forum with my M1P, and read a lot about the Minis.
I also just picked up a 2nd hand Mini (original model) for a pittance for a neighbours lad, his first drone to learn on, and have flown that with him last week.

I know the biggest comment I see on the Minis from the original to the M3P is how toy like they feel, flimsy compared to others, and light (duh !).
This is understandable as they are also so light and small (at least folded, the Spark is smaller when the Mini 3 is unfolded).

The Mini 3 (and Mini 2) both do quite well in winds, though of course wind handling with lighter weight and buffeting about can be worse in a lighter drone, but the gimbal should counter that reasonably well.
The Mini 3s are actually a cat 5 wind resistance drone up to 38km/hr.
Motors are matched to weight etc, so don't sweat that.

You will get great flight time of course from the std battery (say 25 - 30 mins real time landing with a decent % left), and if you want to stay sub 250g you can't go with the extra battery (51 mins say up to real time 45 mins ?) as it pushes past that weight category.
Of course if you are really isolated, and flying remote etc, who will really know.

But if I was buying a Mini style drone right now, it'd be the Mini 3 (not pro), I don't need the quad bayer type 48mp option for decent photos, the 12mp is fine, and all the rest of the video etc are same in both.
I'd certainly buy a flymore package and if possible the DJI-RC . . . having that little quicker setup / less hassle would be sweet :)

Over here that package is AU$1278, so about US$861, so leaves a nice budget surplus for a case / backpack to hold the lot and little extras like ND filters, strobe etc if you use those sorts of things, and of course you might want to take up Care Refresh type cover too.

Good luck with the choice and upgrade.
I know I'd miss my Spark and it's bombproof build / nature.
Wow, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed helpful answer! I was just researching to see what getting the pro version gets me.

I have ordered the DJI Mini 3 Fly More. Doesn't look like this group of forums covers that model?

I have ordered the DJI Mini 3 Fly More. Doesn't look like this group of forums covers that model?

You'll see sister forums listed below @tahoejeff
Here's the link to MavicPilots, where the Mini drones are heavily covered .. .. ..

You do need to register in each forum, I'm fairly sure you can use the same name there as you do here.

Will probably see you there !

You'll see sister forums listed below @tahoejeff
Here's the link to MavicPilots, where the Mini drones are heavily covered .. .. ..

You do need to register in each forum, I'm fairly sure you can use the same name there as you do here.

Will probably see you there !
Thank you!

Cat 5? If you meant category 5 winds that's 252 km/h or higher .

No, it's actually cat (or level) 5 wind resistance.
It's based on the Beaufort scale.

Fairly common drone wind resistance levels for all DJIs drones.
I'm not sure if other drone makers use a similar scale.

Your reference is to the Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme