Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just Another Irresponsible Drone Pilot

optionbLur

Join
Sep 27, 2017
DJI Drone Collided with US Army Black Hawk Chopper and Dented Its Rotor
"So for its verdict regarding the probable cause of this accident, the NTSB concludes that there were two: first, “the failure of the sUAS pilot to see and avoid the helicopter due to his intentional flight beyond visual line of sight”, and second, “the sUAS pilot’s incomplete knowledge of the regulations and safe operating practices.”"

DJI Drone Collided with US Army Black Hawk Chopper and Dented Its Rotor

I think it's just a matter of time before they really crack down on flying drones outside of visual contact range, or require some kind of advanced licensing. There are just too many morons doing high profile stupid things.

I agree that they have to hold the drone pilot accountable. But as drones get more and more popular, coupled with more and more of these type of incidents, I wouldn't be surprised to see The FAA/FCC really clamp down. I think the big thing is having the capability of flying so far away. Spark is 1.2 miles but with a simple $8 reflector antenna booster it goes over 2 miles and the Mavic out of the box is over 4. And quite honestly I think we will see it and I don't mean like 20 years from now. The drone owners are still a small part of the population so I think it is easier to clamp down on them when they are fairly small as opposed to when 80% of the people own drones. But it will only take one serious incident to make changes.

Can't imagine what a rotor blade for a Black Hawk will cost, can they be repaired?

Reactions: u814me
Can't imagine what a rotor blade for a Black Hawk will cost, can they be repaired?

I think it's safest to assume that it's a gazillion dollars.

I've actually been wondering if the best approach is to buy a higher end drone to do these kinds of multi mile trips while they're still legal, or to not buy one with the idea that they won't be substantially more useful than a Spark once all flights past 500m are outlawed unless you also have some kind of super advanced license.

Think about how soon a Spark would be 'Out of Visual Range' , it's so small, realistically unless you have super powers, at 140x140mm dimensionally it's out of visual range after you climb or move beyond approx 40m, which is pointless.

I'll be honest and say 99% of the time, mine is well out of visual range, otherwise I'd simply carry a camera with me and forget the Spark altogether.

To me, flying a Military Blackhawk Helicopter at less than 100m over a populated area for no strategic or protective reason, THAT is the truly moronic issue. I've flown a kite higher than that!

BUT I'm expecting the USA gung-ho patriotism to shine in the replies. Go 'murca! All that military technology and somehow Neanderthals living in caves with cold war era weapons are giving the US Military a run for their money. I call bull$hit on that 'war'.

Just like the fact they will never allow a cure for cancer as it's now a billion dollar industry, so is your war. Way too much of a bu$ine$$ now to stop it.

Think about how soon a Spark would be 'Out of Visual Range' , it's so small, realistically unless you have super powers, at 140x140mm dimensionally it's out of visual range after you climb or move beyond approx 40m, which is pointless.

I'll be honest and say 99% of the time, mine is well out of visual range, otherwise I'd simply carry a camera with me and forget the Spark altogether.

To me, flying a Military Blackhawk Helicopter at less than 100m over a populated area for no strategic or protective reason, THAT is the truly moronic issue. I've flown a kite higher than that!

BUT I'm expecting the USA gung-ho patriotism to shine in the replies. Go 'murca! All that military technology and somehow Neanderthals living in caves with cold war era weapons are giving the US Military a run for their money. I call bull$hit on that 'war'.

Just like the fact they will never allow a cure for cancer as it's now a billion dollar industry, so is your war. Way too much of a bu$ine$$ now to stop it.
They got proper clearance and notices to let everyone know they were doing the exercise. Using AirMap the drone pilot could have done the same (and could have seen the temporary flight restriction).

I realize that as a drone pilot I am at the bottom of the food chain and have no problem with that. I know I must yield to everything else in the air space. Don't know how you can do that if you are flying miles away. Yes, most of us have done it a time or two but as a rule I keep mine fairly close. Right now I think most of us enjoy the freedom we have being able to fly them even though a number abuse that. I wouldn't be surprised to see the powers to be to tighten the leash if incidents like this keep happening which I certainly expect them to. In the meantime I just try to be as responsible as I can be.

All this is going to do is make dji put a restriction of distance in it the software. LOS is the law now and if people continue to f=get busted then the government will ban the drone out right or make a fail safe to prevent this. I flew out about half a mile and came back, there is no need to fly 2 or 3 miles out in a urban or rural area. All your asking for is trouble. Bird strike, mechanical failure, or a man made object. Its just not worth it anymore with the risks.

Reactions: lowoctane

I couldn't agree more, however once an aircraft is over open water as in this situation, the 500 ft AGL rule doesn't apply to them and they can get away with practically water skiing if they want. FAA_Guide_to_Low-Flying_Aircraft.pdf

Regardless the drone operator is still in the wrong for flying out of his LOS.

Last edited:

I've been out in the park several times this fall before the cold closed in. I took my (alpine white with no decals) Spark up to 500ft to height-test it. I found it got difficult to hear at about 200ft up, and was getting very tiny. At that point you had to maintain an iron gaze on it because if you lost it you were never going to get it back. I relied exclusively on the video feed to fly it at that point even though it was technically "within visual range". Once it got much beyond 300ft though it was pretty hopeless to see the spec.

My distance tests were at 100-200ft, and took me out about 800ft I'd estimate. Again it was extremely difficult to keep a visual lock on it, and there was NO chance of being able to determine orientation that far out, let alone whether it was moving toward or away from me. It was difficult to recognize anything but large movements left/right or up/down. I looked down at the remote and back up and was unable to re-acquire it. So going back to the video feed again I turned it around and slowly drove it back my way. I ended up hearing it before I could re-acquire a visual lock on it. "I know it's right about *there* but I can't find it... OH! there it is!")

So I think your range estimates are a bit pessimistic, especially considering my vision's not all that good. But clearly it's easy to fly it well outside one's visual range without having to go around terrain, buildings, treelines, etc. I do hope they don't impose any more overriding controls on the Spark though. It's bad enough not being able to take off and buzz around your own back yard if you live a few blocks from a hospital that has a disused helipad. I would not have bought my Spark if it had a 300ft range limit, and I sure as heck would be returning it right back to DJI for a refund if it got a mandatory firmware update to add such mandatory restrictions.

I may get flamed a bit for this but I'm well-known for stating my opinion regardless of whether or not its popular. In this city we have a lot of bicyclists, but not a lot of bike trails. The city we share our suburbs with DOES have a lot of bike trails. That means we have a lot of bicyclists running around town and they are either dodging traffic or riding on the sidewalks. Nobody wants to take their 7 and 10 yr old kids for a ride in traffic. So they're on the sidewalks a lot. is it legal? Actually no it's not. But talk to any cop and they'll tell you you're much safer on the sidewalk than a busy street. But the thing is, if you happen to run into a jogger or a stroller or something that belongs on the sidewalk, you will be absolutely, unarguably 100% at-fault because you don't belong there. That's why the law is there, not for fines but for safety and accountability. (the law also covers cars, particularly when crossing a sidewalk while traversing their driveway - cars are 100% always at fault when they meet a pedestrian, regardless of circumstances) So if a bike (or a car) collides with a pedestrian, there's absolutely no question of who is at fault.

I see the "line of sight" rule in a similar vein. You get out there past where you can see and all bets are closed. Everything that happens from that point forward is 100% your responsibility, regardless of circumstances or what the other party is doing. If you're getting video or even still footage then you have to be taking your eyes off the drone and looking at the screen, and it's not practical for a lot of us to have a dedicated spotter 100% of the time. But that's absolutely required if you're going to be doing any filming or picture-taking, if you intend to follow the constant-uninterrupted-eye-contact rule. So there's always going to be a significant portion of pilots that bend that rule. But don't do that until you have developed some skill, and stay sharp. Fly defensively. Treat your flying as responsibly as you do when you're driving a car. You can do damage (and even injure people) with a drone just the same as with a car. Drive them seriously.

Reactions: lowoctane
I wonder how many zeros are in a "gazillion dollars" lol!

drevil_million_dollars.jpg

(heavy breathing)

Unfortunately it'll be the minority who will inevitably ruin it for everyone else. LOS is already the law in Australia, not that I can fly much further with the reduce power ratings we have here but at least with a Spark it's no big issue but I can imagine it being frustrating for flyers of the larger drones.

Unfortunately it'll be the minority who will inevitably ruin it for everyone else. LOS is already the law in Australia, not that I can fly much further with the reduce power ratings we have here but at least with a Spark it's no big issue but I can imagine it being frustrating for flyers of the larger drones.

well part of my point was also that "line of sight" doesn't guarantee you can see it. Or that you can find it even if it's still close enough for you to be able to identify. And when it's out that far, you really can't tell its position relative to anything else near it. A good example would be to say you could easily fly up to 200ft and out a ways in a park, high enough to get above the tress so you could continue to keep LOS with it as you fly over the treeline you can't see through. Then you stop a few hundred feet out and loiter for some pictures. And when you finally tilt the camera straight down (which you might not even DO) only then do you see that you've stopped over another group of people at a nearby shelter in the park having a large gathering and you've been hovering directly over dozens of curious and slightly worried people. (which you're not supposed to do!)

LOS by itself isn't very failsafe.

Past line of sight of your craft and the environment it finds itself in is utter poor judgement. Now all ya... straighten up and fly right please. It's better for us all. Happy sparks/mavic and phantom New Years to all.

well part of my point was also that "line of sight" doesn't guarantee you can see it. Or that you can find it even if it's still close enough for you to be able to identify. And when it's out that far, you really can't tell its position relative to anything else near it. A good example would be to say you could easily fly up to 200ft and out a ways in a park, high enough to get above the tress so you could continue to keep LOS with it as you fly over the treeline you can't see through. Then you stop a few hundred feet out and loiter for some pictures. And when you finally tilt the camera straight down (which you might not even DO) only then do you see that you've stopped over another group of people at a nearby shelter in the park having a large gathering and you've been hovering directly over dozens of curious and slightly worried people. (which you're not supposed to do!)

LOS by itself isn't very failsafe.

Not fly past YOUR capabilities is best choice. Be vigilant if that is not possible it is just NOT safe to fly then. A good pilot also includes his state of mind in pre flight check list. Use a basic all encompassing check list always. Helps not forget. A good pilot know what tasks and flight operations he/she CAN accomplish SAFELY.

Love the spark as it's always with me. Love the mavic for it's easy to almost always be with me. Love phantom for rock stable high wind capability. They all work well and yes tech does glitch. Get used to life and JUST be prepared for worst case!

Today I only visit spark site cause I had a spark moment on my way home.. by bike. See she is cool got few good vids and pics too. So goodnight fly safe... not into helicopters and the like please;I like my freedom of flight

I believe we all like the freedom of flight but I think as more and more incidents surface we might be looking at what they have in the EU. Remember when everyone were getting their Sparks and the ones in the EU found, that because of limited output power they could only fly like 300-400 meters with the remote. Although I hope not I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar here in the US.

When I got my 1st drone a P3 Advanced it was like $1G and it seems like the people were a lot more responsible, partly maybe because the cost. Maybe not but it just seemed to me that way. Most took the time to learn, again, but not always, as they didn't want to lose that much money right out of the box. But with technology we usually always get more for cheaper as time goes on. And with all the safeguards built into place people use this as an excuse not to fully educate themselves about proper flying/etiquette. I mean all you have to do is read some of the posts in these forums. They paint them as beginner drones and coupled with the cost (I just bought my 2nd Spark Combo at Micro Center for $339) many people don't invest the time to educate themselves. I mean you can lose a $300-$400 drone and not lose a second of sleep. They just don't take it serious being up there. But maybe we have just as many irresponsible pilots, maybe it just surfaces more because of the large number of them there is getting to be coupled with the popularity of the sport.

I live in the country and fly mostly around my acreage and I truly enjoy the freedom. But if something does come down where were are really crippled as to flying very far it would not surprise me in the least.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers