Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just The Two Of Us ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Fab shot. What is your workflow with Photos and Luminar4?
Thanks @twickers14 ?

My workflow is constantly changing as my methods with the Spark also change. I've had it for over a year and a half now and I'm still learning. For instance, when I'm shooting on the coast in the sunshine now, I almost always use AEB. Not to merge them to HDR, but to get the three variable exposures in one burst. After a days shooting in bright conditions earlier this year, I was disappointed to find a lot of the images shot on auto were overexposed. I use manual when I can, but when shooting moving objects (boats, kayaks etc) on the fly, it's more practical to use auto modes, so I use auto AEB and have a choice of 3 exposures each time which more often than not gives the result I need from one of them.

In terms of Luminar 4 and Photoshop, that workflow also changes constantly as my experience with them does. I have nearly two decades of experience using Photoshop, but it's changed beyond recognition since I first started using it, so I try to keep up with the changes and make use of them. Until recently, I used Skylum's Air Magic as you know, but quickly found Luminar 4's output to be superior, and of course, it has a LOT more in the way of editing options.

Luminar 4 is like a treasure chest. I do have a core workflow, but each time I experiment with a new feature that workflow can change, so I can't nail it down in specific steps, but in very basic terms, I'll start in Luminar 4 by adding one of the 'Look's' - usually one of the the Aerial ones, but not always - then maybe adjust colours if the image needs it, and finally add a touch of sharpening, again only if needed.

I'll then move it in to Photoshop where I pretty much exclusively use the Nik Collection of filters as I've used them for years and find they're still the best for tweaking the contrast of an image. That's pretty much all I do in Photoshop for the Spark images - Luminar 4 does most of the legwork - but I finish off there by optimising file sizes for Facebook, forums and social channels. That's pretty much it.

I guess every image is different and needs different treatment, so I can't nail down a step by step process I'm afraid. Weather conditions and subject matter obviously change the requirements each time. Flying the drone is the easy part ;)

Thanks @twickers14 ?

My workflow is constantly changing as my methods with the Spark also change. I've had it for over a year and a half now and I'm still learning. For instance, when I'm shooting on the coast in the sunshine now, I almost always use AEB. Not to merge them to HDR, but to get the three variable exposures in one burst. After a days shooting in bright conditions earlier this year, I was disappointed to find a lot of the images shot on auto were overexposed. I use manual when I can, but when shooting moving objects (boats, kayaks etc) on the fly, it's more practical to use auto modes, so I use auto AEB and have a choice of 3 exposures each time which more often than not gives the result I need from one of them.

In terms of Luminar 4 and Photoshop, that workflow also changes constantly as my experience with them does. I have nearly two decades of experience using Photoshop, but it's changed beyond recognition since I first started using it, so I try to keep up with the changes and make use of them. Until recently, I used Skylum's Air Magic as you know, but quickly found Luminar 4's output to be superior, and of course, it has a LOT more in the way of editing options.

Luminar 4 is like a treasure chest. I do have a core workflow, but each time I experiment with a new feature that workflow can change, so I can't nail it down in specific steps, but in very basic terms, I'll start in Luminar 4 by adding one of the 'Look's' - usually one of the the Aerial ones, but not always - then maybe adjust colours if the image needs it, and finally add a touch of sharpening, again only if needed.

I'll then move it in to Photoshop where I pretty much exclusively use the Nik Collection of filters as I've used them for years and find they're still the best for tweaking the contrast of an image. That's pretty much all I do in Photoshop for the Spark images - Luminar 4 does most of the legwork - but I finish off there by optimising file sizes for Facebook, forums and social channels. That's pretty much it.

I guess every image is different and needs different treatment, so I can't nail down a step by step process I'm afraid. Weather conditions and subject matter obviously change the requirements each time. Flying the drone is the easy part ;)
This is really useful. Will get back to you shortly as I have a few questions.?? PS just learnt to do these but couldn’t find a face!

Reactions: Spark 317
Thanks @twickers14 ?

All very logical. You are streets ahead of me on the editing front especially if you have used Photoshop for so many years. I found it quite difficult and perhaps too technical for the sort of “point and shoot“ stuff I tend to take and that’s where Luminar has helped me. I have tended to use the Apple Photos edit facilities especially as they have got more and more detailed and sophisticated over the last couple of years. I have been able to learn with the evolution of that app but when Air Magic came along I thought that looked really good and added more to what I could achieve in Photos. It’s demise and replacement by Luminar 4 has been great for me and I am loving it. In our cloudy weather the Sky Replacement button has been a Godsend!! That tip re AEB is a great one as I have mainly used HDR from that facility (Photomatix).

So I start with Photos where my shots are and edit some of the basic stuff in that app then go through to the Luminar Plug In and the fun begins. New skies, AI enhance, Erase etc etc. Have recently been making short YouTube vids of the wonderful gardens we have around here (National Trust and Garden Scheme) all stills so not posted here BUT got Spark up at Hidcote the other day for a few very grey shots of the car park. Won’t be sharing those either.

I’m not on social media so I am editing for the vids and a few family and friends. Really helpful to have your flows described and as I say up front you are doing this to a potentially commercial standard. Always look forward to your posts (as I do everyone‘s). Keep up the good work and let us know when you are CAA qualified and start do this for real. Now let’s try a ?-if you’re a diver you’ll know what I mean!!

Reactions: RedZeppelin
All very logical. You are streets ahead of me on the editing front especially if you have used Photoshop for so many years. I found it quite difficult and perhaps too technical for the sort of “point and shoot“ stuff I tend to take and that’s where Luminar has helped me. I have tended to use the Apple Photos edit facilities especially as they have got more and more detailed and sophisticated over the last couple of years. I have been able to learn with the evolution of that app but when Air Magic came along I thought that looked really good and added more to what I could achieve in Photos. It’s demise and replacement by Luminar 4 has been great for me and I am loving it. In our cloudy weather the Sky Replacement button has been a Godsend!! That tip re AEB is a great one as I have mainly used HDR from that facility (Photomatix).

So I start with Photos where my shots are and edit some of the basic stuff in that app then go through to the Luminar Plug In and the fun begins. New skies, AI enhance, Erase etc etc. Have recently been making short YouTube vids of the wonderful gardens we have around here (National Trust and Garden Scheme) all stills so not posted here BUT got Spark up at Hidcote the other day for a few very grey shots of the car park. Won’t be sharing those either.

I’m not on social media so I am editing for the vids and a few family and friends. Really helpful to have your flows described and as I say up front you are doing this to a potentially commercial standard. Always look forward to your posts (as I do everyone‘s). Keep up the good work and let us know when you are CAA qualified and start do this for real. Now let’s try a ?-if you’re a diver you’ll know what I mean!!

I think everyone develops their own workflow and styles my friend, and it sounds like you are enjoying that process yourself now :)

I started using Photoshop as a hobby, but now use it in my day to day job as a web developer which I've been doing for 3 years. I've learned more in that 3 years about Photoshop than I did in the previous 15 as a hobbyist. Repetition is definitely the key. I never used to use shortcuts but now I wouldn't be without them because time is critical, but it really helps in my personal editing too obviously.

Loving learning Luminar 4. It's a different beast altogether. I have dabbled with the sky replacement for fun and got some interesting results, but for my drone stuff it's mainly boosting colours and contrast I look for in Luminar and I discover new tweaks each time which is half the fun!

My photo and video workflow is about to take an interesting turn too - I took delivery of the Mavic Air 2 yesterday so it'll be like learning from scratch again. It'll be a while before I start posting results from that though as I'll take my time to get to know it inside out, as I did with the Spark. It was 4 months before I was brave enough to post a photo online from the Spark, but I'm glad I took my time :)

Thanks for the kind words and keep pushing the boundaries ?

Reactions: Rwarrior
I think everyone develops their own workflow and styles my friend, and it sounds like you are enjoying that process yourself now :)

I started using Photoshop as a hobby, but now use it in my day to day job as a web developer which I've been doing for 3 years. I've learned more in that 3 years about Photoshop than I did in the previous 15 as a hobbyist. Repetition is definitely the key. I never used to use shortcuts but now I wouldn't be without them because time is critical, but it really helps in my personal editing too obviously.

Loving learning Luminar 4. It's a different beast altogether. I have dabbled with the sky replacement for fun and got some interesting results, but for my drone stuff it's mainly boosting colours and contrast I look for in Luminar and I discover new tweaks each time which is half the fun!

My photo and video workflow is about to take an interesting turn too - I took delivery of the Mavic Air 2 yesterday so it'll be like learning from scratch again. It'll be a while before I start posting results from that though as I'll take my time to get to know it inside out, as I did with the Spark. It was 4 months before I was brave enough to post a photo online from the Spark, but I'm glad I took my time :)

Thanks for the kind words and keep pushing the boundaries ?
Will do and enjoy the MA2. One’s got my name on it when we get back to Florida. Enjoy and fly safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme