Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just tried sport mode for the first time... HOLY !@#$!!

NyJosh

Join
Jan 23, 2018
I've owned my spark for a few weeks now and have been taking it really slow. My first few flights I stayed in beginner mode, next few flights after that in standard mode.

To date I've just been gradually "stretching my drone legs" bringing it a bit higher and a bit farther each time to get comfortable with where my personal comfort zone is while flying.

I have been planning on flying today all week long. Getting out I noticed it was windier than I'd have liked, but well within what the Spark can handle. At one point, I brought it up to 150' high for a look around. After a couple minutes I got high wind warnings on the screen so promptly brought it back down below 20'. This made the Spark happy and no more wind warnings. I did some LOS flying and figure 8's to practice.

Once I got to my last battery, I decided to test out sport mode since I was on a huge open field with zero obstructions or people.

I lined it up on the safest path and slowly ramped it up to full power. HOLY GUACAMOLE! It was like watching the Delorean hit 88mph in Back to the Future!

I ran it out at full power to the end of the field, watched it pitch up 5-10 feet high while braking, turned it around and zipped it back at full power. With a tail wind It hit 33mph, but **** it seemed WAY faster!

I did some very controlled turning and burning for the next 10 minutes.

The end result of my tests was deciding that I'd only ever use sport mode when I need to cover a long distance in a short time or when I need to bring the drone back quickly / fighting strong winds, etc.

I'm amazed at the speed and power of sport mode, but seeing that video to my tablet gets laggy / choppy at high speed and the extreme sensitivity of the remote, it's not a good idea to use it other than at higher altitude and/or in a large area with zero obstructions.

I'm now fairly certain that the vast majority of catastrophic Spark crashes likely happen in sport mode, where things can go wrong so fast, that if you haven't given yourself a lot of room for error recovery you're going to have a bad day.

I've definitely gained a good chunk more than the already healthy respect I had for this machine's power and capabilities. It's darned amazing!

Got my spark for Christmas, Just got a controller, used sport mode,, wow this thing really moves ,, need to take it out to an open corn field to see what it can really do,

Couldn't agree more about Sport flying. Freaked me out first time - whoa! Feel like some racing with the crew!

I know the feeling bro. What a rush it was the first time in S mode. And everytime I gun it I get a kick out of it. Wind-aided I hit 34.3 once according to the flight record.

I love 'sport mode'. Have a perfect 15 or 20 acre field near me that slopes gently downward. The Spark excels in that environment. And sooo much fun to fly/watch.

Yes completely agree. I'm a new owner myself. Made the mistake of flying s mode low with a lot of trees and obstacles near. needless to say one of the propellers hit a leaf and through off the equilibrium of the drone and went to the ground. Luckily I was really low to the ground and it didn't sustain any damages but lesson learned. I didn't expect that kind of power but now I know!

Lol - sports mode is too fast for me. Takes off like a rocket & needs plenty of space for the break space b4 reverse kicks in. I made a stupid mistake & turned on the AC indoors & didn't check the home point properly once outside. After testing various things, the RTH activated & the Spark flew up into the tree to return home & crashed cutting leaves. All recorded in the spark/app logs - my fault, but the logs also show I held down the RC stick to reduce height, but it was ignored & Spark gained height, despite RC commands & good signal.

Hi everyone!

Completely agree! The sport mode just blew me away the first time I tried it! Just a question to the more experienced pilots out there. I've read / watched some tutorials online that the sport mode is more efficient battery-per-distance wise when getting where you want to go (for instance your point of interest is some distance out). Some would actually recommend using SPORT mode to get to places... go normal (or tripod) to take your cinematic footage... then SPORT to get back or if you're at a low-battery situation.

Does this agree with your experience? is it a more efficient way to travel?

Reactions: J Hopkins
I always fly Sports Mode and get an average of 12 - 13 minutes flight time. I fly in S Mode to the POI,, take my photos, then fly S Mode back to home point. If sufficient battery available on return, then I do a few circuits in S Mode..Only use P Mode during take off and landing..:)

Reactions: J Hopkins
Interesting,,, I always download my data after flight and see warnings such as GPS Error, Yaw Error, etc. but have never seen "Speed Error". Be good to see what feedback comes from this..

I just wondering in that case if something happened and my spark fall down from sky will be my fault? I didin't done any mysteake....

Lol - sports mode is too fast for me. Takes off like a rocket & needs plenty of space for the break space b4 reverse kicks in. I made a stupid mistake & turned on the AC indoors & didn't check the home point properly once outside. After testing various things, the RTH activated & the Spark flew up into the tree to return home & crashed cutting leaves. All recorded in the spark/app logs - my fault, but the logs also show I held down the RC stick to reduce height, but it was ignored & Spark gained height, despite RC commands & good signal.
That's because it was executing RTH and will just do it's set path. You have to cancel it if you want to regain control.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers