Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Less space and more no fly zones

Rob1arri

Join
Apr 18, 2018
It seems like here in the US there's puting up more and more No fly zones.soon there won't be any place left to fly.that's why so many people chose to fly anyway not that we want to break any laws the because the majority of us do fly responsibility, but soon there won't be no place left for us to fly. If they keep putting up geozones everywhere. what do you think

I would like to know what data they used to establish the 5 mile diameter.

How long does it take a big airplane to reach 400ft after takeoff? Not saying they need to go to the minimum, but still seems like a lot of padding. And I'm sure for a fact 5 miles is a rounded number, and not the exact number they would come up with according to data.

My suspicion is, they had a smaller number but possibly added up to 2 miles on. Am I completely wrong?
I know even an extra mile takes away a lot of free airspace when you start adding up all the sites.

The other thing is, I figure the drone community was pretty small not so long ago. Not a lot of representation I imagine. Not enough people to care.

And I still think there's a very wide area where 100ft should be a no hassle zone regardless of drone.. If those planes won't hit the tops of my trees, I won't hit them.

Reactions: matt48
I do not know where the 5 miles come from. Class D airspace in the US, is usually 5 miles around the airport, so I suspect the FAA just kept the same number, it's just easier, and keep us from flying there, unless we get authorization...

As for a no hassle zone of 100ft everywhere, it would still be an issue over schools, games, stadiums, heliports, white House!...:)

It seems like here in the US there's puting up more and more No fly zones.soon there won't be any place left to fly.that's why so many people chose to fly anyway not that we want to break any laws the because the majority of us do fly responsibility, but soon there won't be no place left for us to fly. If they keep putting up geozones everywhere. what do you think
Can you give more details about what specifically you mean by "here in the US there's puting up more and more No fly zones"

Who is "putting up these zones"? Under what authority? Only the FAA can create a no fly zone.

Can you give more details about what specifically you mean by "here in the US there's puting up more and more No fly zones"

Who is "putting up these zones"? Under what authority? Only the FAA can create a no fly zone.

Can't a city just prohibit you from flying in their parks for instance? Or at least launching from the park. Same as their other prohibitive ordinances.

Can't a city just prohibit you from flying in their parks for instance? Or at least launching from the park. Same as their other prohibitive ordinances.
They can prohibit you from landing and launching from property that they own, but they cannot legally prevent you from flying over that property.

I have three little airports in the areas where I fly and every one of them have okay me to fly. One of them is only a mile away from my home where I primarily fly.

The airports I talked to said I could fly anytime during the daylight unless they contact me otherwise

Here in Augusta GA, there is a ban of no flying in the city one week before up til one week after the master's. Other limits too and all done at the local level.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast