Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

nilanjan118

Join
Oct 31, 2018
First of all, apologies for creating another "Litchi" thread. I admit searching with that keyword has yielded "n" number of results but most of the posts are old, meaning outdated info.
So to make my query simple, I would like to know what are the extra features we get with Litchi over the Go4 app (official non-moded version). It will be really helpful if someone who is up to date with the app lets me know if I get the following features I am looking for the Spark. You can also add if there is any other good feature I am not aware of.
1. Waypoint missions
2. Point of Interest
3. Course Lock

Lastly, I think it's worth mentioning that I use Android with OTG and forced FCC mode. So I would also like to know if this works with Litchi too.

4. Home Lock (aka headless-mode)
5. Offline mission planning within app or Mission hub (on computer). VLM (virtual litchi mission), a 3.party windows app is a gem!
6. Automatic sync of flightlogs to services like Airdata.

If I remember correctly, Litchi do not support OTG at the moment.
Regardless, I fly by cable every time with my Note8. FCC mode also work.

GUI Litchi (tripod, courselock and homelock available at main screen!):

GUI VLM:

Tried Litchi with my Spark a few days ago, and noticed that forced FCC mode was disabled.

I'll check again.
If someone outside US has checked it, please comment.

5. Offline mission planning within app or Mission hub (on computer). VLM (virtual litchi mission), a 3.party windows app is a gem!

GUI VLM:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

Tried Litchi with my Spark a few days ago, and noticed that forced FCC mode was disabled.
Will be a big disappointment if this is true.

Is that factual about the OTG being unsupported?
Back in nov/dec-18 there was an update of the dji sdk, which 3. party apps uses. OTG was supported again.
Then pilots complain some settings in litchi app would not activate/able to set when using OTG. Like max height etc..
Litchi stated in help-section: If using Spark or other dji wifi drones, you must avoid using OTG.
This text has since vanished from help-section. But they doesn't say OTG is good to go either.

All this time I've been using cable with no negative consequences that I know of..

Reactions: nilanjan118

I'll check again.
If someone outside US has checked it, please comment.
Don't know about Litchi, but I learned the same with Autopilot. When FCC was set it switched automatically back to EU mode if I started with AP. I found this method to keep FCC;

1. If FCC is set, start with GO4 and rise to e.g. 1 meter.
2. Kill GO4 and start AP and fly on with FCC
3. At the end or before swithing battery, stay 1 meter above ground
4. Kill AP and start GO4 again and land

Then start over from point 1. Of course it gives some fiddeling and wasting battery power every time, but at least you are keeping FCC mode. If this also works with Litch could be interesting to know. If you test, please report back here.

Is that factual about the OTG being unsupported?

OTG isn't even "supported" on DJI's own Go 4 app -- but it still works fine.

OTG has also worked fine with Litchi (on iOS) for a long time now.

DJI initially avoided the term "supported" because the OTG feature wasn't implemented when the Spark was first released. Then OTG worked on iOS but not Android. More recently recently it works on most (but not all) Android devices too. It would have been a major headache for them to support it during all those changes.

Some folks hear the term "not supported" and incorrectly assume it won't work -- but it's really just a way for DJI (and Litchi) to avoid being swamped with troubleshooting with each software and hardware update.

So "not supported" is really just another way of saying "don't call us if you're having OTG problems". Ha!

Last edited:

GUI VLM:

7) Synching VLM (virtual litchi mission) with Google Earth and preview your mission, which helps also to prevent obstacles.
8) FPV a very cool VR mode that enables the gimbal to follow the goggles motion.
9) Orbit
10) Pano
11) Focus
12) Track

I use iOS only with OTG cable and works perfect.

One special comment... I have no idea what FCC Mode is.

Went airborne today..
Just Litchi and OTG..
Android and location is Europe.
FCC confirmed..no fuzz!

View attachment 9344

Perfect. Just one last question. Since I am already switched to FCC mode, I should also get this message when I install Litchi and launch it, won't I?
Or do I have to use the fake location trick with Litchi once again?

Last edited:
Thanks for the OTG reassurance. I have never flown GO without it, all 90 flights so far are with the cable. I am late to the Litchi party as I wanted to preserve my warranty, which expires in May.... so I am getting my learning boots on... reading all I can about it. I am liking the smooth curves you seem to be able to get... no budget for a 3 axis DJI product for me this year... <sigh>

Also our government changed the wording about autonomous flight... previously it was prohibited, but as of June 1, its permissible as long as you can override it manually at any time.

I am late to the Litchi party as I wanted to preserve my warranty, which expires in May.... so I am getting my learning boots on... reading all I can about it.

Looks like we are in the same boat. I am interested in the Course Lock feature in particular. It lets you take some amazing cinematic shots. I have seen videos on YouTube and it has really caught my fancy. DJI has it enabled on the Go4 app for the Mavic series and Phantom series but you don't get it on the Spark unless you use a moded app.

So I purchased Litchi last evening, and I already have a bunch of missions mapped out for both waypoints and orbits! I am really looking forward to getting in the air now! Just going to start easy and go from there. Hoping the weather gods are on board.

One thing that is not clear to me with missions, and in general. With Go4 I usually always fly with Obstacle Avoidance off, so I get better speed but maintain the GPS more reliably than with Sport mode. I was looking for a setting in Litchi for this (iOS) and not seeing it (perhaps I missed it). So I set my cruising speed to 13mph, as that is top speed for the Spark with OA off in normal mode.

I could use some sagely advice on this. What if I want it to use Sport mode speeds? How does that speed setting really work?

7) Synching VLM (virtual litchi mission) with Google Earth and preview your mission, which helps also to prevent obstacles.

I gather this is static, its not an animation, or did I miss a feature on this. I did review my mission planning in GEP, and could see how the topography sits under my mission.

I gather this is static, its not an animation, or did I miss a feature on this. I did review my mission planning in GEP, and could see how the topography sits under my mission.
Did you check out my VLM video above in post #2? You basically "Play" the mission with camera view..

So I purchased Litchi last evening, and I already have a bunch of missions mapped out for both waypoints and orbits! I am really looking forward to getting in the air now! Just going to start easy and go from there. Hoping the weather gods are on board.

One thing that is not clear to me with missions, and in general. With Go4 I usually always fly with Obstacle Avoidance off, so I get better speed but maintain the GPS more reliably than with Sport mode. I was looking for a setting in Litchi for this (iOS) and not seeing it (perhaps I missed it). So I set my cruising speed to 13mph, as that is top speed for the Spark with OA off in normal mode.

I could use some sagely advice on this. What if I want it to use Sport mode speeds? How does that speed setting really work?
Set whatever speed you want...
My world is metric, so I set Cruising speed to 30 kmh and max speed to 50 kmh.
Which means I can run mission speed up to 50 with manual stick... handy little trick :)
OA on spark is 5m and up to 10 kmh... I always think of Litchi missions as OA "off".

Did you check out my VLM video above in post #2? You basically "Play" the mission with camera view..

I found the resolution a little low, but it got me started, and with some help from YouTube, I can fly my missions in advance. So thank you for the pointers. Very cool!

Reactions: Haggi
I found the resolution a little low, but it got me started, and with some help from YouTube, I can fly my missions in advance. So thank you for the pointers. Very cool!
Cool is an understatement!
Do not trust Earth 100%. Some data could be some years old and your gps also has deviation/accuracy issues.
Run missions high above obstacles, you can always lower the altitude and re-run the mission.
I would run first missions vlos, to build comfort and trust within the Litchi app.
"One more thing" about the VLM software: You can adjust the animated mission speed with forward/rewind buttons. No need to run in real speed.
Fingers crossed and good luck on your missions!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe