Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Litchi range vs DJI Go range

macros999

Join
Aug 28, 2018
Hi all,

I tested the waypoints in Litchi today, and it worked flawlessly. I have however noticed that the radio signal quality was only 60% close in, and further away dropped to 24%.

Flew with the DJI Go app the same distance the next flight - and had 100% signal the whole time. Litchi did not ask me the "location" question like DJI go did - is it possible that it defaults to CE instead of staying in FCC? I am running Litchi 4.8.0.

Did another test with no waypoints at a different location - had the same result with DJI Go at 100%, and Litchi only getting to 60% even 5m away, at 80m was down to 30%. At 80m the DJI Go was still on 100% signal quality.

I wouldn't necessarily be surprised, as I think DJI has worked on improving range. Waypoints is so far the only program I've used on Litchi and it works as advertised so far. I don't necessarily need litchi for regular flying anyway, so I've used DJI for that anyway.

I use Litchi on multiple DJI drones and the signal strength it displays on the Spark is quite a bit lower than the signal strength displayed on the Phantom 4 Pro under similar conditions. That would make sense because the P4P has a LOT better radio and I would expect the best the Spark radio could do would be measurably less than the best the P4P can do. Even though the Spark is showing signal strength far less than 100%, it still streams the video just fine and responds to RC input with no problems. I like to see the connection percentage drop off that way because it geves me a lot better idea of when I am getting close to the limit of communication and control. I am always in FCC mode.

My seat of the pants results:

DJI better video quality but less range,
Litchi has aorzey quality from the start but more range.

Range has little to do with the software. Range is based on the transmission signal/frequency between the drone and the RC. This is the same, whether you’re using Litchi or DJI Go 4. Obviously you’re going to get more range with Litchi if you’re doing a waypoint mission, but otherwise they should be relatively the same. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend using Litchi when trying to push the range on your Spark. The DJI app is constantly tweaked and modified to give the best performance.

What you guys are saying about range vs app is interesting, but I agree with RPL...the given app being used has nothing to do with range.

All I could figure is Litchi reports the range differently? But even that doesn't make sense as isn't that specified by the API which DJI controls? And wouldn't that be the same API no matter which app is using it? Go 4 or Litchi?

--

Bill

Guaranteed I have a more solid signal with Go4. To bad because I really like the Litchi program.
I have flown many duplicate missions with both programs and Litchi always loses on siginal quality.
On the other hand the waypoint options in Litchi are fantastic!!

Dessert...

Do you know if the signal is ACTUALLY lower with Litchi? Meaning...is the distance at which you'd lose radio control of the Spark actually less than with Go 4?

I'm wondering if Litchi is, for some reason, only REPORTING a lower signal, even though in reality the signal is the same. I'm talking R/C control, not any video quality differences (as I suppose a poorly-running app could degrade the perceived video quality, and make it SEEM like the signal is worse).

Thanks...

Dont get me wrong these signal anomolies are for the most part small throughout the entire mission once I get out 5-500 feet.
After the flight I look in Air Data and the Litchi Signal Strenght reading would be 45-65 while Go4 is 100!
Trip below with Litchi. Signal score 48.7

1537052815963.png

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme