Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

live Video lag on my Spark

Simk1n

Join
Jan 2, 2019
So, i have tried my Spark for the first time, outside my apartment, and i have some issues with the video transfer beeing choppy and laggy.

There is a lag/delay in the video transfer, whenever i turn the spark around in the air or move it i can clearly see there is a lag and delay.

I'm on FCC mode, using 5.8Ghz, OTG cable (non DJI) and my smartphone has WiFi/BT turned off and also tried Airplane mode (LG G7, Snapdragon 845, 4GB ram)

There is alot of wifi networks around here, so i assume this might be the problem? even if i use 5.8Ghz on my Spark?

I also tried the Spark briefly at my parents, its not many wifi networks there, but they have wifi running also, and i did only try the spark right outside their house.

It was -2 yesterday and now its -5, can this affect the video?

My Mavic 2 Zoom however has buttersmooth video, but i know it is using Ocusync and not WiFi.

Some specific locations do have excessive interference and are best avoided. I have such an area down my street and nothing I can do to fix it.

If you wear a smart watch turn it completely off. They are common sources of Bluetooth interference.

I've gotten much better signal and greater range with Spark using a $10 parabolic antenna.

There is alot of wifi networks around here, so i assume this might be the problem?
Perhaps. Do you experience the same issue when flying in locations where there are no nearby Wi-Fi networks?

Thanks for reply's,

I tried the Spark a little down the road here, industrial area with no wifi networks. The video feed on my phone still seems laggy, however i tried recording and it turned out to be no lag.

So, its a RC to Spark lag, i can live with it as long as the recordings turns out to be fine, but nonetheless, is a little annoying.

Is this just how it is? No recording, just watching the phone and its choppy?

Thanks for reply's,

I tried the Spark a little down the road here, industrial area with no wifi networks. The video feed on my phone still seems laggy, however i tried recording and it turned out to be no lag.

So, its a RC to Spark lag, i can live with it as long as the recordings turns out to be fine, but nonetheless, is a little annoying.

Is this just how it is? No recording, just watching the phone and its choppy?

My video is smooth and clear. No chop. 720 resolution.

Sometimes there is noticable lag - other times not. But never choppy as you described

@ Andre Levite: How is the weather where you live? Cold/warm?

i tried my Samsung S9+ now and it is the same. Its not extremely bad, but it has this 1-2 sec delays and sometimes the video feed can get a little distorted, but recordings turns out to be smooth.

Both my phones are working fine with my Mavic 2 on the video feed, however i have only tried my Mavic 2 a couple of times and i dont remember any video feed lag there.

Im gonna try it out some more, maybe its the cold weather, and i can try out 2.4Ghz also.

The parabolic antenna booster could be something to try out for sure, i'll keep that in mind.

I guess i just need to try out the Spark a little more.

But, one more thing, could an non DJI OTG cable cause problems?

Reactions: rabanne
The parabolic antenna booster could be something to try out for sure, i'll keep that in mind.

I guess i just need to try out the Spark a little more.

But, one more thing, could an non DJI OTG cable cause problems?

I seriously doubt the OTG cable would make a difference. I use 3 different OTG cables with 3 different mobile devices and the results are identical. Lag is there but not annoying; the occasional drop of a frame or 3 is normal with the Spark in my experience. Nothing that prevents the enjoyment of flying or gets in the way of great pictures/footage.

I seriously doubt the OTG cable would make a difference. I use 3 different OTG cables with 3 different mobile devices and the results are identical. Lag is there but not annoying; the occasional drop of a frame or 3 is normal with the Spark in my experience. Nothing that prevents the enjoyment of flying or gets in the way of great pictures/footage.

Yep, I have a feeling that the video feed lag is how it is with the spark, as it uses WiFi. The Ocusync on my Mavic 2 is very smooth in comparison.

As long as the video itself from the Spark comes out with no lag thats the most important, the Spark is more for quick shots and travel anyway (for me), as i plan to use my Mavic 2 for more serious and longer videos.

I think it is normal, because in specs, spark and Mavic air have a latency of 200 ms and above, since MP2 has about 120 ms.

Real world latency, depends on conditions, hardware of device, OS of the device (IOS or Android), version of OS, version of Go4 app, transmission band, and interference.

I have lag on my lower-end phones and tablets and the OTG cable improved it by leaps and bounds.
The DJI app is a resource hog and the video feed from the Spark is the first thing that is compromised, apparently.

A few things pop into my mind to check, forgive me if you've checked these already.

I would suggest you verify that the OTG cable is correctly working meaning, the RC isn't connected to the phone with WiFI even if the OTG is connected? The easiest way to check that is to go with airplane mode (WIFI OFF) and make sure that it will have a connection to the RC using the OTG.
A lot of people have had the cables either not connected right or the USB permissions not set on the phone (developer options"USB debugging").
Also verify there is nothing on the phone that is running that is using a lot of resources when flying ( a guide like the one posted above ....Install DJI GO on an Android Tablet or Phone (Step-by-Step Guide).... is a great start)
Some phones have a "battery optimization" or the like built in that has messed up the app. Might wanna check that and make sure the DJI app is not being included in any of the phone's "optimizations"
All that being said, I recently got a new phone which is a Samsung Note8 and any lag either with OTG cable or without ( just connecting phone WIFI to RC) is gone! So the power and ram of the phone/device is an important factor but I think the phone you mentioned SHOULD have the power/ram to do the job if other apps/system functions aren't eating up the resources?

Last edited:
As mentioned, i run both my phones also on my Mavic 2, there is no lag there. The S9+ has Exynos 9810 (SD 845) and 6GB ram, and my LG G7 also have the Snapdragon 845 but 4GB ram. i also shut down all my apps before running GO4. I dont think this is a phone issue. This is 2018 flagship models.

USB debugging in set to ON, on both phones

Yes, i have checked that i actually are running OTG cable and either disable WiFI or put it to airplane mode.

Again, i have only tried my Spark at home where there is alot of WiFi going on (alot of apartments) and in an industrial area (no wifi, but metal structures nearby) so im just gonna try out the Spark some more, but its winter now, cold and very windy, its dark before 4pm and i have the flu, so its not been much flying yet :rolleyes:

Something else to consider is that the Mavic 2 has a latency of 120 - 130 ms and the Spark has a latency of 200 ms (with zero interference). Perhaps you're just seeing that difference?

As mentioned, i run both my phones also on my Mavic 2, there is no lag there. The S9+ has Exynos 9810 (SD 845) and 6GB ram, and my LG G7 also have the Snapdragon 845 but 4GB ram. i also shut down all my apps before running GO4. I dont think this is a phone issue. This is 2018 flagship models.

USB debugging in set to ON, on both phones

Yes, i have checked that i actually are running OTG cable and either disable WiFI or put it to airplane mode.

Again, i have only tried my Spark at home where there is alot of WiFi going on (alot of apartments) and in an industrial area (no wifi, but metal structures nearby) so im just gonna try out the Spark some more, but its winter now, cold and very windy, its dark before 4pm and i have the flu, so its not been much flying yet :rolleyes:

It sounds like you have the basics covered and that you have a good grasp on the app/connection.

But, if your lag is like the clips you posted, that is not too bad. I find that passing my hand in front of the Sparks camera while it is just sitting on a bench and watching that delay gives me a good representation/test...
I will have to re-check mine with that exact test when I charge up a few batteries. I haven't used the Spark in a week or more and have been using my EVO a lot more since I got that.

Like I mentioned, I have found the lag to be virtually non-existent with the Note8 now except when it is a distance away ( at the end of its range)
If no other remedies present themselves I suspect you might have a hardware issue

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers