Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lume Cube Strobe on DJI Spark

Join
May 29, 2019
I know there is always some contention in threads about night flying, so I'll just leave it at this -

For some of the shoots that I'd like to accomplish, I'll need to hit the shoulders of the day, the wonderful pre-dawn and post-sunset half hour. To accomplish this, I got a Lume Cube Strobe for my Spark!- Even though I guess I really hadn't heard of anyone trying to attach a Lume Cube Strobe to their Spark.

I hadn't seen anything on here in regards to this Anti-Collision light, so I thought I'd share my first impressions.

Ok, first off- it weighs nothing. It feels negligible in the hand, a whisper. It weighs in at 10.3 grams with its side of the 3M Dual-Lock attachment system. The Dual-Lock "velcro" is really something, if you haven't had a chance to use it. There is a satisfying engagement of both sides that is both audible and tactile.

Supposedly, the battery will last 2.5+ hours on Strobe speed, and takes about an hour to charge via Micro-USB.

There was space to affix the LumeCube Strobe on the top of the Spark, at about the center of gravity, with no rotors coming close to touching the Anti-Collision Light.

My first flight with it attached, the Spark controls seemed a little slow to respond, and apt to *over-respond* once it did. This may have just been a placebo-like perception of the aircraft, and not actually indicative of the effect of adding the Lume Cube Strobe.

I'll update this further after having a twilight flight tonight, but I'm super stoked about unlocking another skill!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190723_160200-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20190723_160200-01.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 98
  • MVIMG_20190723_160219-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20190723_160219-01.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 93
  • MVIMG_20190723_160154-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20190723_160154-01.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 89
  • MVIMG_20190723_160209-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20190723_160209-01.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 85
I hope that is not mounted over the GPS module.

Reactions: ProPhoto_56401
I hope that is not mounted over the GPS module.

It may well be. The website for the Lume Cube Strobe says it won't interfere with the normal GPS operation, and by last night's flight, I have to believe them. I think I had 18 locked on, which is about normal for where I'm at in Minnesota.

The flight was completely steady, no rocking, no pitching, and only the normal amount of dark "wander" before it got a real solid GPS lock.

One negative I've seen people reference with this light is that it isn't visible from the ground if it's attached to the top of the UAS. I can confirm this.- but it's not made for improving visual line of sight recognition, so I'm not going to judge it on that.

The Mosquitoes were atrocious last night, must've had a batch hatch recently. Got one (surprisingly) usable image (ISO100, 2") before I was sick of flying and swatting bloodsuckers at the same time- I'm sure I was a sight to behold.10894

Mosquitoes are the worst when your sweating from the heat. Nice image of the city!

It may well be. The website for the Lume Cube Strobe says it won't interfere with the normal GPS operation,

The GPS is on the back of the Spark.
The cooling fan is dead center so you're cool. ?

I have purchased a couple of these and work well.

It appears they are out of stock from Phantom Help.

They work well for VLOS at night when the Spark lights fade into the darkness.

Glad to know that it does not interfere with the GPS signals. Nice night shot too. ?

Just found this forum as I was hoping to try out some things with the Spark. New to MN, which are do you find yourself flying?

It may well be. The website for the Lume Cube Strobe says it won't interfere with the normal GPS operation, and by last night's flight, I have to believe them. I think I had 18 locked on, which is about normal for where I'm at in Minnesota.

The flight was completely steady, no rocking, no pitching, and only the normal amount of dark "wander" before it got a real solid GPS lock.

One negative I've seen people reference with this light is that it isn't visible from the ground if it's attached to the top of the UAS. I can confirm this.- but it's not made for improving visual line of sight recognition, so I'm not going to judge it on that.

The Mosquitoes were atrocious last night, must've had a batch hatch recently. Got one (surprisingly) usable image (ISO100, 2") before I was sick of flying and swatting bloodsuckers at the same time- I'm sure I was a sight to behold.View attachment 10894

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef