Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic Mini vs. Spark

Not for me. I was looking forward to it, but too many compromises in terms of creativity and output for me compared to my Spark. Yes, the flight time is great, but I need to be looking to step forward with my next drone purchase and I honestly don't think the Mini offers that step forward from the Spark for my needs.

Nice drone, but I'll stick with my faithful Red Zeppelin for now thanks ;)

What features does the Mavic Mini lack compared to Spark?

I have not used active track more than a handful of times. So won’t be missing this.

The more compact carrying size is what I’d want out of my drone. MMini delivers this.

I’m very interested in swapping for the MMini. Cost will be minimal (hopefully less than 10%) to change. So no brainier?

I have not used active track more than a handful of times. So won’t be missing this.

The more compact carrying size is what I’d want out of my drone. MMini delivers this.

I’m very interested in swapping for the MMini. Cost will be minimal (hopefully less than 10%) to change. So no brainier?

Doesn't really lack any features. I'm glad I sold my Spark a month ago and now I will get the Mavic Mini

Lack of manual ISO & White Balance controls, no AEB or Panoramic shooting modes (which I use a LOT), no improvement over JPG only output, removal of hardware controller functions. To name but a few.

I'm not too fussed about active track, but I do use it so that would also be a backward step to lose it regardless. I appreciate some of the shooting modes might be included in firmware updates, but I genuinely don't see the Mini as an upgrade. Everyone's needs vary, so good luck with it if you do choose to switch, but it's not for me.

Oh boy too many to list, I'am sticking with my 2 Sparks for the next two years, the hacks keeps coming and adding more features.
I was hoping the Mini could be an upgrade to the already awesome Spark but is not.
I'll pass on this one.

I am quite disappointed with the Mavic Mini. Sure, 2.7K (why no 4K??) and a better battery life, BUT

- bigger than the Spark (the "in air" size counts, not the "folded-up" size!!!)
- no flight modes like Active Track etc. (really??)
- no customizable button(s) on the RC
- no obstacle sensors
- no OcuSync (so less range here than my FCC modded Spark)
- no mods, no hacks available (there are many for the Spark)
- no battery life indicators anymore (need to connect battery to the charger to see if it is charged)
- 40 MBit video compared to 25 MBit on the Spark BUT when used on 2.7K it could actually result in a lower quality, or not?
- Mini's plastic body feels cheaper than Spark's one

So what's all the hype about? I don't get it :(

When I first got my Spark, and I was learning, there was more than a couple of times that obstacle avoidance saved my ***. I can’t imagine the new pilots reaction to not having this feature on a starter drone.

I am quite disappointed with the Mavic Mini. Sure, 2.7K (why no 4K??) and a better battery life, BUT

- no obstacle sensors
- no battery life indicators anymore (need to connect battery to the charger to see if it is charged)
- 40 MBit video compared to 25 MBit on the Spark BUT when used on 2.7K it could actually result in a lower quality, or not?

Couple thoughts from my humble opinion.....

My first DJI drone was the Spark, loved it. But after a year I hungered for something I hoped would be better. I bought a Mavic Pro.

Honestly, I don't use the MP as much as I thought. I use the Spark, I love the small nimble agility of it.
Occusync is a bore. The most I have ever seen from my MP was 3 miles. the 4.3 miles advertised I have never been able to replicate. Meanwhile Sparky, I can hit 2 miles.
Active track and Obstacle Avoidance, nice to have but not a deal breaker, I keep OA off for better speed and have only used AT three times.
2.7k vs 4k. On my MP I keep it in 2.7. 4k is just too LARGE of a file size for transfer and manipulation. 2.7 is just right with no real discernible difference in most applications.

I'm considering selling both of mine for a Mavic Mini....but will wait a bit to hear reviews.

I'm going away this weekend to the mountains, I'll be taking the Spark and leaving the MP on the shelf at home.

Great price, but my next upgrade would have to be to 4k, although at 249 grams I am sure to sell like hot cakes, no crash avoidance has killed the deal for me, I will, erm avoid, excuse the pun!

Reactions: KnightRyder786

- no obstacle sensors

I'm going to add to this with a durability test... I had my first crash with my Spark 2 weeks ago.. Total pilot error when I was flying around the 5 story condo where I live and flew at full sport mode speed into the 5th floor concrete wall around back of some trees where I couldn't see where it was pointed well enough. After hearing the crash with hands off the control levers I ran around the trees expecting parts on the ground and the Spark was there hovering 6ft off the wall 40ft up waiting for control. I flew it down and there was a paint mark on one arm but nothing broken. I think the Mini would be on the ground in pieces and I wouldn't trade my Spark for a brand new mini.

Last edited:
I think the MM will be a huge success for DJI and if I didn't have a Spark and was in the market for a small portable drone, I would buy the MM. For me the MM has some pluses over my Spark - 2.7k video recording, longer battery life, and 3 axis gimbal. Since I shoot mostly photos, these upgrades are not really worth it for me.

Not sure what the MM will have in terms of camera controls, but being able to manually control camera functions like shutter speed and ISO are very important to me as most of my shooting whether photos or videos is done with manual settings.

Being able to tap to take-off from my hand and then land in my hand is also very important to me. Not sure if you will be able to do this easily with the MM.

Having screw-on props does not appeal to me especially since you will have to have a screw driver with you all the time. More time consuming and not as easy as just twisting on and off Spark props.

I will be enjoying my Spark and P3S and saving my money for a future upgrade to maybe a Mavic 2 Pro or whatever is out at that time. While reading about the MM I stumbled upon this comparison between the Spark and the Mavic 2 Pro by Flytpath. I must say, I was surprised at how well the Spark's camera did to a drone that is 4X the price. It made me think twice about a future upgrade to a M2P. I picked out the Spark footage a number of times thinking it was the M2P before the cameras where revealed.

Chris

keeping Spark, new batteries getting way better flight time - 19 minutes and time left to download video and photos. And I do use the front sensors as protection in tight spaces.
Are you saying you are getting 19 minutes flying time from a Spark battery - how? I average about 10 minutes on mine. All 4 are almost 2 years old. Right now I can only use 3 as one of my batteries has developed weird problems (4 lights flash during flight and button looses its click) so DJI has advised I don’t use it.

Chris

As a starter drone, yes. Upgrade from the spark? No

To the point ?

Increased flight time: no need (12 mins per flight are fine for me - having 4 batteries in total)
Range: Spark is clearly doing better here (with FCC mod in EU *cough*) ?
3 Axis Gimbal: never missed it. Spark's 2 axis gimbal does a good job.
2.7K Video: this is the only point I'd be interested in.

But a better resolution is not enoughfor me to switch to Mavic Mini and getting a shorter range, a bigger in-air size, no flight modes anymore, no customizable RC button and no modded app that also includes all the Mavic flight modes and lots of nice features.

I regularly use Active Track when riding my eBoard. I also love the camera following feature of the Active Track mode: if you draw a rectangle there WITHOUT hitting the "Go" button the cam automatically keeps following the target as the Spark stays on its position. This is quite useful.

Get rid of all this? Nope ??

Shorts answer - No. Reasons below.
1. I hear the Mavic Mini runs on a different app. If that's true it will not be supported by apps like Litchi or Go4 Mod 2.0. That's a bummer.
2. 3-axis gimbal and 2.7K@30? Not impressed. They should have rather given 1080p at 120 and added more color profiles.

The only real "upgrade" I can see is the battery life. But having invested in multiple batteries and portable chargers for the Spark, I don't think even that will attract current Spark users.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme