Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Mavic mini

Sparkyman

Join
Sep 15, 2019
Has Anybody sold there spark to get a Mavic mini and if so are you happier with that than the spark?

I have the Spark and was considering purchasing the Mini but I read most of the reviews and watched unboxing videos on Youtube and concluded that the Spark is just better quality period.

1. I don't like the fact that removing the props requires a little screw driver.
2. I don't like the build quality
3. The controller looks basic
4. Must use it with controller and not with phone as an option
5. The app is very basic
6. no object tracking
7. Limited collision sensors
stripped-down camera controls
Lacks follow QuickShot options
Restricted controller range

Just wanted to add my few thoughts. I seriously researched the Mini but have decided its not for me because..

1. It seems too light
2. Build quality compromised ??
3. Lack of sensors
4. No lights on the arms
5. DJI never covered my phone on the DJI Fly app (Samsung J6). I am not getting a new phone for this
6.It would like having an affair outside marriage. Sparky is the mini drone for me (I also have P3 and P4).
7. I will spring for a Mavic Air in April 2020 - it won't however supplant the Spark.
8. That will bring my fleet to 4 - John, Paul, George and Sparky !

I agree about the diminished features and from only what I have read about, the build quality. I won't be buying one. If I were going to upgrade my Spark, it would be for the Mavic Air. I think that a lot of people that have jumped on the MM train so quickly quite possibly will be disappointed. The only upside I see so far is the gimbal and the flight time. I don't understand why DJI didn't just upgrade the Spark design with a new gimbal and larger battery in the first place.

Reactions: hiflyer and loup
I don't understand why DJI didn't just upgrade the Spark design with a new gimbal and larger battery in the first place.
Reading about how flimsy the MM is reported to be, I think the Spark is a lot more expensive to build. I don't get the weight issue at all. Maybe in other country's aside from the U.S.

Just wanted to add my few thoughts. I seriously researched the Mini but have decided its not for me because..

1. It seems too light
2. Build quality compromised ??
3. Lack of sensors
4. No lights on the arms
5. DJI never covered my phone on the DJI Fly app (Samsung J6). I am not getting a new phone for this
6.It would like having an affair outside marriage. Sparky is the mini drone for me (I also have P3 and P4).
7. I will spring for a Mavic Air in April 2020 - it won't however supplant the Spark.
8. That will bring my fleet to 4 - John, Paul, George and Sparky !
Actually, I'm looking for answers for my son (his English in not good enough yet to participate on the forum). He's 14 years old and had only a no-sensor, no-camera, $100 toy drone. He's been saving up for two years for a Spark. Now with all this hype about the Mini Mavic he's wants the MM. All I want is for him to have the best drone for his money that is also most suitable for a beginner.
I've read your post and I don't understand:
"1. It seems too light" - why might this be a problem?
"5. DJI never covered my phone on the DJI Fly app (Samsung J6). I am not getting a new phone for this."
Could you please explain? Thanks!

Reading about how flimsy the MM is reported to be, I think the Spark is a lot more expensive to build. I don't get the weight issue at all. Maybe in other country's aside from the U.S.
As far as I know from reading things about the MM, the low weight is only getting the new pilots out of having to register their drone with the FAA. They still however, have to follow all of the same rules as every other pilot in the US. Canada is a different issue on that but I have no knowledge of their regulations other than that. I don't know what the low weight would cause if the drone goes into atti mode in a high wind. Seems that would cause more flyaways to me.

Reactions: BGD
I've read your post and I don't understand:
"1. It seems too light" - why might this be a problem?
"5. DJI never covered my phone on the DJI Fly app (Samsung J6). I am not getting a new phone for this."
Could you please explain? Thanks!
1. I think the concern of "it seems too light" stems from thinner or less robust materials used to meet the Mini's 249 gram target weight. This could make the Mavic Mini more easily damaged in an incident that a Spark would be better able to withstand.
5. DJI has, or had, a list of devices (phones & tablets) they said are, or were, compatible with their drones. As many have attested, just because your device may not be on the list does not necessarily mean it won't work. My LG V20 was apparently removed from their list, so I also have an older Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ that I use only for flying my Spark in conjunction with the Remote Control. The MM comes with a remote already, therefore the phone/tablet are not necessary for flight, but for FPV and camera work. I hope this helps.

Reactions: BGD and Mrmund
1. I think the concern of "it seems too light" stems from thinner or less robust materials used to meet the Mini's 249 gram target weight. This could make the Mavic Mini more easily damaged in an incident that a Spark would be better able to withstand.
5. DJI has, or had, a list of devices (phones & tablets) they said are, or were, compatible with their drones. As many have attested, just because your device may not be on the list does not necessarily mean it won't work. My LG V20 was apparently removed from their list, so I also have an older Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ that I use only for flying my Spark in conjunction with the Remote Control. The MM comes with a remote already, therefore the phone/tablet are not necessary for flight, but for FPV and camera work. I hope this helps.
Thank you!

As far as I know from reading things about the MM, the low weight is only getting the new pilots out of having to register their drone with the FAA. They still however, have to follow all of the same rules as every other pilot in the US. Canada is a different issue on that but I have no knowledge of their regulations other than that. I don't know what the low weight would cause if the drone goes into atti mode in a high wind. Seems that would cause more flyaways to me.
Thanks!

I've watched a number of the videos on the Mini on YT like perhaps you all have, and hear the same things over and over, but it seems to me, until you actually fly one, how do you know whether any of these supposed short comings will actually interfere with the enjoyment of flying a Mavic Mini?

Its light, and some videos have said that does have an impact, but high winds can affect most any drone depending on the speed. The lightness of course was primarily to offset for the moment, registration issues and usage in many places that set 250 grams as a arbitrary limit... And of course to meet that limit, they had to do things that might make it seem weak or cheap, but there have been a few crashes reported and some survive without issues, others do not, same with the Spark, whether the Mini is actually more fragile overall, I think may still be up for debate.

Most of the time when your up over a 60-100 ft or more, where do you need the sensors, other than perhaps too lessen your battery life? If you routinely fly in cramped spaces, sure you want a drone with sensors, however the Spark is not well rounded in that area is it?

The Mini has some tracking, though probably its not as good as the Spark, and perhaps its merely software, future releases of software could add more tracking features, maybe not. If your one that needs active tracking a lot, the Mini is probably not be your bird. Seriously though, how often have you had your Spark following you?

The Mini is good drone as I see it, the better camera and gimbal I think make it better in that regard then the Spark. And what do you get a drone for anyway? I think most of us use for aerial photography. I may eventually get one, because I like the price and camera upgrades, I am aware of the settings limitations and thats a bit of a bummer, but again, one can hope future software will provide more options.

Down the road a ways, if one cannot easily get repairs, or batteries for the Spark down the road, its going to wind up on a shelf, because it got orphaned too soon.. Perhaps it will last another year, two.. then what??

Bottomline, as I see if, if you don't think it for you, based on what you see, no problem, but sometimes you have to try it first and then see if your criticisms are completely valid..

thanks

I ordered my Mavic Mini two days ago, but I will keep my Spark for now for limited use occasions. I never liked the extremely limited battery time on the Spark, 1080P, unreliable wifi to the controller and lack of a the third gimbal. From what I see on the internet the Mavic Mini, although light, still takes rock solid video in the wind.

I ordered my Mavic Mini two days ago, but I will keep my Spark for now for limited use occasions. I never liked the... unreliable wifi to the controller...
Can't help with the limited battery life or the camera rez, but an OTG cable will likely cure the wifi to controller reliability issue.

Until they add the mods that allows you to fly in NFZs like all the rest of DJI drones have the mavic mini will be a great disappoint to a lot of folks.

Reactions: desert spark
With all the misgivings that people have with the Mini how can you ignore the rock solid camera gimble system or the 30 minute flight time.
I think most of the real issues will be solved with firmware updates.

Reactions: JoostGT3
I have a Tello, a Spark and a Mavic Mini, and each one is great for something. As for Spark vs. Mini, that's like asking who your favorite child is. I'm keeping both. There is much to be said for the Mini vs. the Spark, with the 3rd axis on the gimbal, and the battery life being a big deal. You really need to fly them both, too. The Mini has a crisper feel than the Spark, which might be because of the weight, but it seems like more than that. I used to own a '66 Cutlass and a '95 Miata, and the Spark vs. the Mini feels like that. The Spark feel like it moseys along and is less responsive, whereas the Mini cuts curves and stops with a tighter feel. YMMV.

Reactions: BGD and Spark 317
The Spark feel like it moseys along and is less responsive, whereas the Mini cuts curves and stops with a tighter feel. YMMV.
Most likely a plus from the gimbal yaw axis. Thinking about it, I can see where pitch stabilization would damp nose up/down and roll stab would keep the horizon level (in Follow Me), but I can't really see where the yaw axis contributes much other than to keep the image centered during very minor yaw oscillations. If it did much more, it would be like being in FPV mode thus not getting roll compensation. The 3-axis gimbal could also allow more responsiveness for that reason. DJI may have downtuned responsiveness in the Spark to smooth out undesirable yaw coupled motion in the 2-axis design.

Thinking about making the switch myself here are some of the advantages of the mini.

1. 2.7k camera resolution
2. Better gimbal
3. lighter
4. more compact
5. longer flight time.
6. Batteries use standard cells
7. cheaper
8. Better range

Any comments on the above appreciated.

Attached is a good detailed comparison. My main concerns are how it copes in high winds if that might cause issues with RTH. And also whether the FCC/EU modes can be set using a GPS spoofing app for those of us outside the US?

Mavic-Mini-VS-Spark-2.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe