Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Moving down from a Mavic Pro

Rhuarc86

Join
Feb 25, 2019
Hey everyone!

I currently have a mavic pro 1, that I'm really happy with, but just don't use as often as I would like. That being the case I'm considering selling it and picking up a Spark, as I still want to have some kind of photography drone. I realize I'm asking this on a Spark forum, but is the Spark worth getting over something like the Xiaomi Fimi A3 or X8 SE? I'm not a pro photographer, just like to use it for fun stuff with my kids.

Follow up question, if I do go with the Spark, do you all find it annoying to only get 12-14 min of flight time? Kinda spoiled with the MP flight time.

Where are you from? I have a Spark, Adult flown and cared for. I'm considering picking up a Mavic Pro. Lancaster PA area.

Hey everyone!

I currently have a mavic pro 1, that I'm really happy with, but just don't use as often as I would like. That being the case I'm considering selling it and picking up a Spark, as I still want to have some kind of photography drone. I realize I'm asking this on a Spark forum, but is the Spark worth getting over something like the Xiaomi Fimi A3 or X8 SE? I'm not a pro photographer, just like to use it for fun stuff with my kids.

Follow up question, if I do go with the Spark, do you all find it annoying to only get 12-14 min of flight time? Kinda spoiled with the MP flight time.

If you don't use your MP1 as often as you like, what makes you think you'll use a Spark more? I own both having purchased the MP1 just last week. I bought it primarily to get the longer flight time plus the Ocusynch technology is a real plus. But, they're both fantastic drones in their own right. I'm keeping the Spark because I like having a back-up and it does a super job. Within 15 minutes. If you suffer from range anxiety like I do, I suspect you'll have a problem with the Spark.

Hey everyone!

Honestly it is extremely annoying having only 12 minute flight time with Spark- Must watch battery level constantly from moment you take off and land frequently to swap. Must charge at least 3 batteries for each outing. Many anxious returns to home with falling battery level when trying to get needed footage or fight wind.

I love my Spark but improved flight time is near the top of everybody's wish list for Spark 2.0 (or Spark Pro?). I could not wait for newer version so instead I added a Mavic Pro. I think downgrading from MP1 to Spark would be vexing based on much experience flying both of them [opinion]. If possible maybe hold onto MP1 while you try out Spark for a while - if you sell Mavic prematurely you may regret it.

Reactions: Skywalker710
I have a P3A too, and find I use the spark more.
The short flight time doesn’t bother me that much. I plan what I want to shoot and get close to the subject.

Reactions: Surfnut
Thanks all for your input! I don't know if I would fly a Spark more than the MP1, but I would at least have something and could use the extra funds for something else. I don't want to not have some kind of drone at my disposal, but the flight time of the spark just really seems like it wouldn't be sufficient for me. I'll have to sit and think on that some more.

Reactions: BuckDashe
I wet the other way spark is a great bird but don,t get rid of the mavic you will be unhappy with the sparks limitations in flight ttime distance i started with spark and i,ll never git rid of it but the mavic was hard to get used to and like the spark does alot more than the stats say but i haven,t broke the away distance of 4 miles yet but i,m sure if there was a need to be that far away in open country not a problem i,ll let you know how that goes for me

Reactions: tmarez
Yes, the Spark's range is less, but since technically both will easily go beyond LOS, it's not really that big of a deal for me. Battery life? Yes, but again, I'm not that comfortable with the drone out of sight anyway, so...

My SIL and I both purchased Sparks; shortly thereafter, he sold his Spark and bought a Mavic Pro. He loves it, but....every time he comes over to the house, he wants to fly my Spark. Why? It's quick and easy. It's also more responsive because of it's smaller size. It's "fun". Just sayin'.

Reactions: Surfnut and tmarez
Honestly it is extremely annoying having only 12 minute flight time with Spark- Must watch battery level constantly from moment you take off and land frequently to swap. Must charge at least 3 batteries for each outing. Many anxious returns to home with falling battery level when trying to get needed footage or fight wind.

I love my Spark but improved flight time is near the top of everybody's wish list for Spark 2.0 (or Spark Pro?). I could not wait for newer version so instead I added a Mavic Pro. I think downgrading from MP1 to Spark would be vexing based on much experience flying both of them [opinion]. If possible maybe hold onto MP1 while you try out Spark for a while - if you sell Mavic prematurely you may regret it.
I agree with Andree, the Spark is an awesome little drone performs like a pro for its size. I dont know anything about the other drones you mentioned. But I would keep the MP and get a Spark you will love it.
DJI_0304.JPGDJI_0302_Trim_Moment.jpg

I love my Mavic Pro, it's such an amazing drone. I recently bought the Spark. It's a really fun little drone! I'm keeping both! They both have different uses. No reason to get rid of either.

From the spark I get inspired.
See
The best done for family photos is spark .. I am an advertising photographer but I love the spark.
Never lets me down not intrusive and always gets good shots..

PS the flight time is good I bring it down and change batteries. The flight modes are great and it seems to do some things better then my Mavic... As well as that family shots tend to be close no further then 50 meters although the spark can fly further I do those shots with my Mavic...

Here's my story.

Like a month ago I wanted a Mavic Pro really bad so I went and got one. Flew it couple times but I had no fun with it for some reason. Unwanted gimbal tilt when flying sideways bothered me same like pretty non intuitive pano mode. I've been using it a lot with Spark and loved the ability to tilt the gimbal to point on object and the pano mode made it in the center point. Unfortunately Mavic Pro can't do this. Every time I started any Pano mode, it leveled back to horizon keeping like half of shot occupied by empty sky (overbrighted too because it measured and locked exposure by 1st picture which usually was the ground. Locking exposure manually didn't do anything). Of course I could do everything manually but that way I spent more than half of flight time by setting everything up. With Spark I was able to get much more quality panoramic shots for a single battery. So I went back to Spark. You might say I'm stupid but finally I'm having fun again.

Reactions: tmarez
Different drones, for different purposes.

Yes, spark is fun, but MP is a different animal, better than spark in every point.
Better flying abilities, faster, more stable, longer flight times, better camera/gimbal, much better controller, and ocusync is far far better than WiFi (you can fly MP with two RC and goggles at the same time, having 1080p stream on all devices).
Automatic modes are also more "pro" (like Follow Me, Home Lock, Course Lock, etc).

We cannot compare those two, because it's unfair for our little spark.
MP costs about double than Spark.

I think you have missed out on the Mavic if you didn't try it with a set of DJI Goggles. Something about not having a wire and being able to look around left right, up and down is so amazing. Yes, you can hook up the goggles with the spark, but then there's that wire along with no way to view around while flying. Keep the Mavic, it won't hurt anything and you never get your money back when you sell used. Besides, after the newness wears off from the spark, you can always go back to the mavic. Get the spark and keep both.

Hey everyone!

Example of video quality
I have four batteries. So far no annoyance of longer fligh time. Keeps me focused versus losing concentration on a longer flight. Been flying in cold weather and getting about 12-13 minutes.

I was in the same situation. I have Mavic for two years but I wanted something new. Every comment says that Mavic is the better drone and if you have Spark you should upgrade to Mavic. Finally last week I bought Spark + Charger station and I am very happy with it. Mavic is too professional sometimes. Don’t be afraid just buy Spark and have fun.

Here's my story.

Like a month ago I wanted a Mavic Pro really bad so I went and got one. Flew it couple times but I had no fun with it for some reason. Unwanted gimbal tilt when flying sideways bothered me same like pretty non intuitive pano mode. I've been using it a lot with Spark and loved the ability to tilt the gimbal to point on object and the pano mode made it in the center point. Unfortunately Mavic Pro can't do this. Every time I started any Pano mode, it leveled back to horizon keeping like half of shot occupied by empty sky (overbrighted too because it measured and locked exposure by 1st picture which usually was the ground. Locking exposure manually didn't do anything). Of course I could do everything manually but that way I spent more than half of flight time by setting everything up. With Spark I was able to get much more quality panoramic shots for a single battery. So I went back to Spark. You might say I'm stupid but finally I'm having fun again.

Same problem for me after I "upgraded" to an MP1 (Alpine Combo) for the better battery life and Occusync. No way to "center" panos and the Spheres just don't work as well either out of the box, way too washed out. I honestly can't remember a missed shot with my Spark over the past 18 months I've had it. With the Mavic I don't think I've managed to get a single good one yet. As a result I'm in two minds about returning it...Occusync is so good though, cuts through a forest like a knife through butter !

Reactions: Andre Levite

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme