Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

MP4 anomalies

Canalsman

Join
Jul 27, 2019
Hi everyone

I've had my Spark for about a month and I'm becoming more adept at flying it. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

I have taken a number of sample videos and I have a problem.

All but one of them will not display a thumbnail on my Android tablet in Gallery. These videos will not play either except if I open them in VLC player.

I found this problem experimenting with PowerDirector which also won't display thumbnails to help selecting the clips I want to use. The clips do show in the timeline if added and do play.

All the clips were correctly ended by stopping the recording on the Spark so I don't believe the files are corrupt in any way. The micro SD card in use is a very high spec SanDisk, 64Gb, as advised by DJI.

If I transfer the clips to my Windows laptop, Explorer correctly shows thumbnails and the files play without issue.

I have analysed the files using MediaInfo and I attach screenshots for two files. File 0001 acts normally in all respects. File 0006:is typical of all the others and is problematic. I don't see any significant differences ...

The only way I have found to work round it is to open a clip that is not behaving in PowerDirector and immediately export it. The exported file works as it should.

Suggestions as to how to fix this issue will be very much appreciated ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190823-171207.jpg
    Screenshot_20190823-171207.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20190823-171219.jpg
    Screenshot_20190823-171219.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20190823-171231.jpg
    Screenshot_20190823-171231.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20190823-171239.jpg
    Screenshot_20190823-171239.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 8
Hi everyone

I've had my Spark for about a month and I'm becoming more adept at flying it. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

I have taken a number of sample videos and I have a problem.

All but one of them will not display a thumbnail on my Android tablet in Gallery. These videos will not play either except if I open them in VLC player.

I found this problem experimenting with PowerDirector which also won't display thumbnails to help selecting the clips I want to use. The clips do show in the timeline if added and do play.

All the clips were correctly ended by stopping the recording on the Spark so I don't believe the files are corrupt in any way. The micro SD card in use is a very high spec SanDisk, 64Gb, as advised by DJI.

If I transfer the clips to my Windows laptop, Explorer correctly shows thumbnails and the files play without issue.

I have analysed the files using MediaInfo and I attach screenshots for two files. File 0001 acts normally in all respects. File 0006:is typical of all the others and is problematic. I don't see any significant differences ...

The only way I have found to work round it is to open a clip that is not behaving in PowerDirector and immediately export it. The exported file works as it should.

Suggestions as to how to fix this issue will be very much appreciated ...
Make sure you have stop recording before you power off your drone if you don't the file will be unterminated

Make sure you have stop recording before you power off your drone if you don't the file will be unterminated

As I have mentioned I did stop all the recordings to ensure that they were saved correctly.

Since posting this thread I have read elsewhere that other people have had exactly this issue.

It is reported that DJI use a codec that is non-standard in some respects. There doesn't appear to be a solution other than to use a video conversion app to re-encode the clips.

Not very clever implementation by DJI ...

Reactions: Chicken Hawk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav