Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My Dji Spark fell out of the sky!!

OwenEdgar64

Join
Mar 18, 2019
I recently bought a Dji Spark because I already had a ryze tello and I really enjoyed it so I decided I would upgrade to the Spark. I got the fly more combo. On my first flight after I had done all the set up and the calibration I took after got used to the controls then flew to 325f took some photos and then the battery got to 18% so I started to land. At 229f the battery reached 17% and all looked good...... the drone was roughly directly above me and suddenly without warning the drone propellers stopped spinning and just dropped and hit a smallish tree as it fell and then smashed into the concrete below, totally wrecking the drone. The battery was still in when I found it and the lights were on on the Spark. I called Dji and then told me to send it in but I don’t have dji refresh. How long will it take till it gets repaired and set back to me (the drone arrived to the dji repair centre today) because I am going on a ski trip in 2 and a half weeks and I really want to take it with me. Also do you think it will be covered under the warranty so I won’t have to pay anything as I don’t thing it was my fault. I didn’t hit anything.

I was scared that is what happened at first but when I checked the fight log the battery suddenly went to 0% and my last recorded control movement was moving the left stick down.

I recently bought a Dji Spark because I already had a ryze tello and I really enjoyed it so I decided I would upgrade to the Spark. I got the fly more combo. On my first flight after I had done all the set up and the calibration I took after got used to the controls then flew to 325f took some photos and then the battery got to 18% so I started to land. At 229f the battery reached 17% and all looked good...... the drone was roughly directly above me and suddenly without warning the drone propellers stopped spinning and just dropped and hit a smallish tree as it fell and then smashed into the concrete below, totally wrecking the drone. The battery was still in when I found it and the lights were on on the Spark. I called Dji and then told me to send it in but I don’t have dji refresh. How long will it take till it gets repaired and set back to me (the drone arrived to the dji repair centre today) because I am going on a ski trip in 2 and a half weeks and I really want to take it with me. Also do you think it will be covered under the warranty so I won’t have to pay anything as I don’t thing it was my fault. I didn’t hit anything.

CSC don't work anymore with the newer go4 versions. There are some vids on youtube were it was testet.

How cold was it when you had your crash?

I don't want to be the one to give you the bad news about DJI But they will not do anything for you inless you pay for any and all work! Even if you had the refresh ins it would still be an iffy. When it come's to the Spark drone they just don't give a crap.. Keep a close eye on everything they do along And I hope by me continuing to put post up about what they are doing to people that maybe they will change there ways. At this point I don't see that they will But there should be a 30 day warranty on your drone but DJI knows each and every thing about these drones to the point of when we turn a battery on and charge it to your flight log. I think I got the worst part of DJI's bully tactics when my drone flew away and have not found it that happened Dec 16th 2018 regardless of what anyone tell you the spark drone is flawed with software issue's if you look at DJI's other drones the higher priced one's there not flying away there not crashing I think you get the point.. When the spark drone is flying right there a great drone and fun but are they worth the money? Not for the issue they have. I hope they treat you better then some of us! If it's just a crack on your drone get it back an I'll tell you how to fix it! Let me know take care

Reactions: Seanjo
That’s not very good ? I just hope it’s covered under warranty and if not hopefully it’s not too much money it repair. It proberly will cost a lot to repair because the sensor and one of the arms of hanging off and there is a peice of wood wedged in one side as well. I can’t really see why it wouldn’t be under the warranty? Just hope dji are good about it and replace it.

Reactions: Meiko
That’s not very good ? I just hope it’s covered under warranty and if not hopefully it’s not too much money it repair. It proberly will cost a lot to repair because the sensor and one of the arms of hanging off and there is a peice of wood wedged in one side as well. I can’t really see why it wouldn’t be under the warranty? Just hope dji are good about it and replace it.

There are plenty of positive posts on this forum when flight records confirmed sudden power loss and folks got coupons for new Sparks. Also plenty of stories when DJI did not help. Everything depends on DJI's analysis of your flight records - that's the only objective data they have.

If the Spark powers on try to sync flight records using the DJI Go app. That way they have direct access in the cloud. I hadn't done that but they still have me a discount on the repairs.

Sorry to hear about your experience.. unfortunately not much you can do now.. I wouldn’t recommend running the battery so low.. I usually only take mine to 20-30% shorter flights but better for battery and no possibility of a crash or not making it home.

It was probably the cold.. you will notice battery percentage suddenly drop when it’s cold.. and much shorter flights. Set rth at higher battery percentage... and critical battery you can set higher.

DJI should educate people better but they don’t Give much direction. I watched all sorts of videos on YouTube before flying in freezing temps..(mostly over water)

I think you can if the aircraft is experiencing an error... when your voltage gets too low or the cold temps make it suddenly drop that could be a critical error and then the sticks in could shut off the motors.

If the on board computer on the Spark crashes the aircraft will crash too. Very infrequently my laptop or phone crashes and it's forgettable because it's not fatal.

Seems like the Sparks processor is occasionally over taxed and just shuts down. It happens to each of us on every other computer we own. But at 200' altitude the result is especially ugly.

Often the flight log points to a specific reason but sometimes it's just a run of the mill processor (or software) crash. Unfortunately there's not much you can do to prevent it from happening to you. Spark 2 will surely get a beefed up processor to reduce the frequency of crashes.

Reactions: OwenEdgar64
If that’s what happened do you think that will be covered on the warranty?

DJI will review the flight log and decide if your qualify. When the Spark was first released they admitted "sudden loss of power" was their fault and gave vouchers for free drones. With each update the problem is less frequent and they are less generous with the vouchers.

All you can do is send in the unit. They will review the flight data and assess the damage. If they don't cover under warranty you can reject the estimate and if you complain loud enough they will discount the repair. DJI is the judge and the jury so it's completely opaque process.

They were fair to me. Good luck!

I hope as well that DJI changes their ways. But at this point it don't look good. A little help on your situation for the future in the settings go in on your battery and don't let your drone drain down to almost nothing. After what happened to me I have my battery set at 25% although with the other issues with my FlyAway the Drone triggered return home when the battery was at 49%. I still don't know where the Drone is someone could have picked it up but I really doubt it it was in a fenced 10 acre lot I was over looking for the Drone was in 5 minutes of it disconnecting. So in the future try to keep your drone close to you when the battery is getting real low that way if something should happen you're able to get it right away especially when others are around that don't know how to tell the truth meaning people that like to rip others off. I hope you get your drone back or a replacement before you go on that ski trip. As I said before when the spark drone is working right it's fun as hell to see what it can do. Take care let me know what happens or if you need help with anything don't hesitate send me a email or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe