Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My spark camera won't point straight down when flying?

walnawk

Join
Jun 13, 2017
Hello forum:

I am wondering why my spark camera won't point straight down (90 degrees straight downward) when flying. The funny thing is that the camera can point straight down by default without any tilt adjustment during pre-flight check; but once it is in the air, the camera could not be pointed straight downward.

Does anybody know why that might be?

If you have an RC and you’re in Sport Mode, the camera remains forward.

There are settings in the Go4 app that can control gimble speed and function buttons that can be assigned when using a RC.

Reactions: walnawk
If you have an RC and you’re in Sport Mode, the camera remains forward.

There are settings in the Go4 app that can control gimble speed and function buttons that can be assigned when using a RC.
That explains everything. I had the drone on sports mode, even when I tried to point it straight down, it wouldn't point 90 degree downward. It ended up around 70 something degrees.

Thanks for your info!!

I believe the pitch angles are explained in the manual. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. Like getting married at 20.

I believe the pitch angles are explained in the manual. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. Like getting married at 20.
Nothing got to do pitch wheel, like I said before - during pre-flight check camera could tilt perfectly downward, it was during flight that could not. The answer is because I was on sports mode. Spark 317 provided the answer.

Reactions: Spark 317
Nothing got to do pitch wheel, like I said before - during pre-flight check camera could tilt perfectly downward, it was during flight that could not. The answer is because I was on sports mode. Spark 317 provided the answer.

Per the manual, the downward angle is not 90 degrees..the max is 85 degrees. So, it's not "perfectly" downward...but, it's close.
Gimbal.jpg

A visual check of the camera position indicate the same as the manual. It is not -90°, -85 sounds correct. I don't see a reason there is any difference in the air or not.

A visual check of the camera position indicate the same as the manual. It is not -90°, -85 sounds correct. I don't see a reason there is any difference in the air or not.

To the regular user, we can probably not see a difference.

However, it remains that -85° is not -90° which was my point from the beginning -- that the answer to the original question was contained in the manual and that the Spark is not capable of a "perfectly downward" camera position.

To the regular user, we can probably not see a difference.

However, it remains that -85° is not -90° which was my point from the beginning -- that the answer to the original question was contained in the manual and that the Spark is not capable of a "perfectly downward" camera position.
You are absolutely correct, hard to see the difference.

I am the OP, more power to Spark 317 who got the thread from the beginning. We have veered off at a tangent, question was "why the spark could not point straight downwards when flying". Bottom line, regardless whether it was at an 85 or 90 degree angle, flying in sports mode will place an restricted angle of view obviously lower than 85 degrees which doesn't allow the bird to see/film what's below. Now, we can all debate what angle that can be.... :)

Last edited:
I am the OP, more power to Spark 317 who got the thread from the beginning. We have veered off at a tangent, question was "why the spark could not point straight downwards when flying". Bottom line, regardless whether it was at an 85 or 90 degree angle, flying in sports mode will place an restricted angle of view obviously lower than 85 degrees which doesn't allow the bird to see/film what's below. Now, we can all debate what angle that can be.... :)
Yes, that's clear from post #2 and there was clarification regarding what is "straight down (90 degrees straight downward)", all nice to the detail. I personally learned something about the 85° and not 90°.

Yes, that's clear from post #2 and there was clarification regarding what is "straight down (90 degrees straight downward)", all nice to the detail. I personally learned something about the 85° and not 90°.
Ditto. But I also agree with you when looking down between 85 or 90 IN THE AIR, "it is hard to see the difference".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran