Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Need help with precision land

Roger S

Join
Apr 6, 2018
I read the manual, watched videos, etc, but can't pull it off. Instead of retuning to the landing pad I mow the weeds 5 feet away. After takeoff I try to ascend vertically to 30.ft.or... Maybe I'm not moving the left stick EXACTLY up? Or is there.a. setting in DJI GO?

Last edited:
I read the manual, watched videos, etc, but can't pull it off. Instead of retuning to the landing pad I mow the weeds 5 feet away. After takeoff I try to ascend vertically to 30.ft.or... Maybe I'm not moving the left stick EXACTLY up? Or is there.a. setting in DJI GO?

From the manual:
1) Take off vertically 7 meters (23 ft).
2) Home point terrain with no distinctive features will affect performance.
3) Throttle down to accelerate landing. Moving the control sticks in any other direction will stop precision landing.
4) DJI Go 4 will show a terrain feature mismatch prompt if matching fails.

Normally the DJI Go app will tell you when the home point has been updated, please check it on the map.
I assume this may relate to GPS co-ordinates rather than precision landing. The message does not indicate if precision landing was 'activated'.

The horizontal hovering accuracy is +/- 0.3m (1 ft) when Vision Positioning is active, otherwise +/- 1.5m (5 ft).
If you are mowing the weeds 5 ft away Vision Positioning may not be active or the home point terrain has no distinct features. The landing accuracy of Spark is within specifications when Vision Positioning is not active.

I have never seen a terrain feature mismatch prompt from DJI Go. Maybe VPS failed to record the home point? DJI Go should notify the pilot when Vision Positioning of the home point is successful & display the same recorded image for confirmation. Otherwise it falls back to GPS & maps.

Maybe you can check your stick movements within your flight logs via the DJI Go app to see your pushing the left stick EXACTLY up? If Spark drifts within GPS limits due to wind etc, before recording the home point with precision landing - the result is obviously going to be wrong.

Take off in a clear area, 5-10ft away from the weeds, trees etc. Try a 'portable helipad' as a distinct object to take off from.

Good luck.

I have been trying precision landing with mixed results.

I am using an orange helipad, with blue on the reverse. I have tried both with no discernible difference.

It does land accurately around 25% of the time, other times it's a few feet out.

I do get the precision landing message on screen so the system appears to be functional.

How critical is the take off height? I have tried around 25 feet and also 50 feet.

How long should the hover be allowed to continue to ensure the picture has been taken?

And does land the speed of take off affect things. Should I take off slowly?

Finally it's difficult to ensure that the left stick is fully pushed forward. I suspect any element of yaw may affect matters.

Many people seem to get good results. There must be a knack to it ...

After weeks of high winds I was able to try this suggestion today.

I followed your suggestion, three times in a row, and precision land worked perfectly.

Thanks for the tip ...

Reactions: cappellen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers