Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Nervous new Spark owner

Going nuts

Join
Jun 19, 2019
Hello from the Gulf Coast of Florida and sometimes from the Western North Carolina mountains! My kids gave me the Spark for Father's Day, and since I live in a NFZ, I haven't been able to fly yet. I've been soaking up all the info I can find here and on Youtube, and am headed to NC for a few days and hope to find a wide open spot and learn to fly while there. Thanks for this forum!

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Going nuts.

If you don't already have the apps, the two that are worth looking at are AIRMAP and UAV Forecast.

AIRMAP will let you search the area that you're flying in or will be flying for future trips for airports, NFZ, NOTAM's, etc.

And the UAV Forecast will let you know of the current flying conditions, along with airport information, but the AIRMAP is better at that.

Both are free in the app stores.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello from the Gulf Coast of Florida and sometimes from the Western North Carolina mountains! My kids gave me the Spark for Father's Day, and since I live in a NFZ, I haven't been able to fly yet. I've been soaking up all the info I can find here and on Youtube, and am headed to NC for a few days and hope to find a wide open spot and learn to fly while there. Thanks for this forum!
Newbie Spark pilot here, also. Lots of woods where I live so finding an open area was my first challenge. Now I practice at home (wooded lot) after gaining some confidence. The Spark is stable, even in a breeze (as long as GPS is working)! DJI Go4 lets you know if the GPS signal gets too weak, or battery level low, etc. Takes time to get used to checking the screen while maintaining VLOS. I read much more than I fly, and the info here is the best way to avoid the problems others report (lost drones, crashes).

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Going nuts.

If you don't already have the apps, the two that are worth looking at are AIRMAP and UAV Forecast.

AIRMAP will let you search the area that you're flying in or will be flying for future trips for airports, NFZ, NOTAM's, etc.

And the UAV Forecast will let you know of the current flying conditions, along with airport information, but the AIRMAP is better at that.

Both are free in the app stores.

Welcome to the Forum. ?
Thanks! I have the UAV app but didn't know about the Airmap. Next stop - app store!

Reactions: Spark 317
Even if you cannot take off as you are living in a NFZ, you should power on, connect the AC, RC, phone and see what the screen on the Go4 app looks like. You should be able to understand what all the icons/gauges mean. Download the DJI Spark manual (pdf) and read it. Follow the threads in this forum. More knowledge about your drone will help get rid of nervousness and build confidence. Welcome to the forum. Good luck and fly safe.

Also, in addition to what nilanjan118 has said above, use the simulator in the go4 app to practice flying and getting use to the sticks, buttons, and telemetry that the go4 app has tucked away inside. A lot of people forget that it's there.

Welcome to the Club! One further thought from a flyer somewhat older than you but I have just got driving glasses and I wear these when flying for VLOS. I also fly with a 9.8” iPad which is nice and big so reading glasses not vital with long distance ones in place. Also have found the screen shades easily ordered on Amazon for about £15. These keep the glare off the screen. Bon chance and enjoy.

Reactions: Going nuts
Also, in addition to what nilanjan118 has said above, use the simulator in the go4 app to practice flying and getting use to the sticks, buttons, and telemetry that the go4 app has tucked away inside. A lot of people forget that it's there.

AGREED, the simulator to me didn't seem like MUCH But once I actually flew it really was very much like flying.

Reactions: Spark 317
like other's have said and maybe you have. Make sure you know how to connect it to the App. and at least start it and stop it a few times. Learn how the camera controls work and rotate the gimble up and down. It can be frustrating connecting it the first time so have patience. You don't need much space to fly it up..hover...and back down. Then a simple box pattern...out...then to the side, then back, and to the side. Simple..it's very stable. It's very important to have the home point established before take off. then...take a deep breath and off you go..

Rome wasn't built in a day - we all started nervously somewhere. Better to be nervous and have it fade off with confidence. Welcome from Ireland.

Best thing you can do is find a big empty field and practice. Learn all the details of RETURN TO HOME, the pause button, etc.
Think of the Spark as a new piece of equipment that you have to learn.
Good luck and have fun.

A final thing: avoid iron or magnetic fields. They are sparky's kryptonite.

The most important thing is to have fun. The Spark is a tough little bird and mine had a number of crashes in its early days (entirely due to pilot error), but she's still going strong. Extra propellers are a very good thing to have!

The best thing that happened to me on my 1st flight is I hit auto take off, the drone motors came to life and it rose 4 feet, then hovered in place. now I can flick the joy sticks on the remote to get the feel for what it will do. let go of the joy sticks and it returns to hovering where ever it is. Make sure there is a comfortable 10 foot bubble around the drone while you are practicing to ease the nerves. once you master the remote, you will be flying closer in no time.

Previous drones I had required trim and constant adjustment and crashed into the lamp or fence. The spark has not done that to me yet.

Welcome to the Club! One further thought from a flyer somewhat older than you but I have just got driving glasses and I wear these when flying for VLOS. I also fly with a 9.8” iPad which is nice and big so reading glasses not vital with long distance ones in place. Also have found the screen shades easily ordered on Amazon for about £15. These keep the glare off the screen. Bon chance and enjoy.
Twickers, you sound like me with using the iPad.
Nice to glance down and check on the app readings and video transmission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme