Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark Battery Not Charging!

Sam

Join
Aug 11, 2017
Bought a new spark battery as a backup and never had the need to use it until today. The problem is that when I went to charge it, it did not charge. As it is being charged, the battery cycles up to two bars than it turns off for a few seconds than it starts the entire process again. I’ve left it to charge for a 45 minuets to see if it would progress passed the two bars, but it did not. I tried charging it when inserted into the Spark, and the same thing happens.
When it is unplugged and try the startup procedure, nothing happens (none of the status lights turn on).

Has anyone experienced this and is were you able to find a solution?

Thanks!

If you can get it to a 50% charge, you could put it on the Spark and check for firmware updates for the battery.

All new batteries have to have a firmware update.

It may charge to 100 % after that?

The problem is that when it’s not on the charger it will not turn on. I try the standard startup procedure, but nothing happens. Not even one bar lights up.

If you can get it to a 50% charge, you could put it on the Spark and check for firmware updates for the battery.

All new batteries have to have a firmware update.

It may charge to 100 % after that?
That’s very good point and advice, but the problem is that when it’s not on the charger it will not turn on. I try the standard startup procedure, but nothing happens. Not even one bar lights up.

Try leaving it on the charger to see if it takes. When you push the button, any lights?
Here is the manual - https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spa..._Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_V1.2_EN.pdf
I left in the charger for close to an hour and it doesn’t cycle past the two bars. I removed it from the charger tried the standard startup procedure and and nothing lights up. This is not my first battery. I have four others and this is the first one that has behaved this way.

Seems to simply be a defective battery. It happens. Push dji to take care of it. They should see that you did not crash it once they receive it. At least you have other batteries to keep flying while you wait on a replacement.

Seems to simply be a defective battery. It happens. Push dji to take care of it. They should see that you did not crash it once they receive it. At least you have other batteries to keep flying while you wait on a replacement.
That’s what I figured, but you just never know!

Thanks for yours and everyone’s responses and advice.

Just wanted to let everyone who is reading this thread and/or has been good enough to provide me with advice that I contacted DJI today and they opened a Case for me to return the battery and replace it.

Thanks for all your advice/recommendation.

Reactions: karl and amir
One of the batteries in my flymore kit had a bad cell and locked the Spark out until I changed it. DJI quickly and painlessly replaced it. Just one of those things.

Just wanted to let everyone who is reading this thread and/or has been good enough to provide me with advice that I contacted DJI today and they opened a Case for me to return the battery and replace it.

Thanks for all your advice/recommendation.
I had exactly the same issue with 1 of the batteries from my flymore Spark combo. Would not charge beyond 2 bars, could not activate the battery, could not update firmware. This happened straight out of the box the same day I bought the Spark.
Battery was sent back to DJI and got a replacement from them so I believe you will get a replacement also without issues.

One more thought on LiPo batteries; They become very unhappy when you discharge them to less than 3.3V per cell under load. Like flying aggressively for example. Once you get down around 3.0V per cell you WILL shorten the battery life and risk an in flight failure. 30% alarm and 20%+ battery when you land is a great target. Happy flying!

One more thought on LiPo batteries; They become very unhappy when you discharge them to less than 3.3V per cell under load. Like flying aggressively for example. Once you get down around 3.0V per cell you WILL shorten the battery life and risk an in flight failure. 30% alarm and 20%+ battery when you land is a great target. Happy flying!
Excellent tip...thanks for tapping in!

Just curious, as i didn't see any mention of it, but did you activate the battery first? If not, there's your problem most likely... its happened to the best and worst of us!

Just curious, as i didn't see any mention of it, but did you activate the battery first? If not, there's your problem most likely... its happened to the best and worst of us!
For shits and giggles can you PLEASE refresh my memory on the procedure? I’ve had other new batteries right from DJI and never had a problem getting them to charge.

Per dji, the batteries ship in hibernation mode, and activation is accomplished just by charging the battery fully... but if that's not happening, hrm.

I had the same issue months ago, and for the life of me I can't remember how I got it to charge, beyond plugging it into the 3x charging dock, or charging while in the spark with usb power.

For help with all things spark:
Spark – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Best of luck, hope it decides to come online for you without a return!

Per dji, the batteries ship in hibernation mode, and activation is accomplished just by charging the battery fully... but if that's not happening, hrm.

I had the same issue months ago, and for the life of me I can't remember how I got it to charge, beyond plugging it into the 3x charging dock, or charging while in the spark with usb power.

For help with all things spark:
Spark – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Best of luck, hope it decides to come online for you without a return!
Thanks for your help and the info. I did try both methods; plugging it into the Spark and all 3 slots of the the multi charging dock. Unfortunately it kept on cycling up to two bars and would never go beyond the two bars. When it was cycling it would pause for 15 second or so than start backup again until eventually the smart charger would stop trying to charge it.

I managed to get DJI to have me return it for them to check it out and hopefully exchange it. The next challenge under my belt is the UPS people. DJI sent me an RMA number with a UPS label and a tracking number. Dropped off the battery at a UPS dropping point on Thursday, and yesterday my tracking number showed that it’s being delayed because there wasn’t a commercial envoice. Not sure what they are referring to. Whenever I sent any parcel back (from eBay, Parrot, Amazon) all I had to do is attach the return label and nothing more.

Now I have to wait until Monday to speak to either DJI or a UPS rep to find out what the holdup is all about.

What was the end result of this? Justpurchasd a battery from Best Buy with same symptoms. I’m concerned with returning the battery there in case they have a bad stock. Is it always better to request a replacement from DJI?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe