Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Spark Owner, occasional choppy video feed... do I OTG?

infamousevans

Join
Jan 15, 2018
I think honestly one of the most annoying things with the Spark is the occasional lag/skipping with the video feed. Can any experienced pilots help me with some advice? I really appreciate your feedback. It's been killer so far.

Here is some of my info in case your wondering:
Firmware for the Remote/Drone and Batteries is all up to date
iOS 11 Operating System (iPhone X)... brand new and loving it
I only fly with the remote/wifi
I live in fairly small suburb, literally no tall buildings. Homes, fields etc

Some people mentioned/YouTube videos that switching to OTG cable is an immediate fix for the latency on the feed + immediate boost with the signal. This really interested me, however I also read it is not supported anymore, and also not a simple plug+play. Can anyone explain how to do this? Do I need to downgrade the drones firmware? Do you flat suggest suggest against it?

I also heard that my SD card is a big impact with video feed skipping. Caching during flight, and also not using a good speed SD card will also cause video latency. Is this true? Should I focus on this as well?

Finally, being sure all of my blue tooth devices are off? Someone mentioned going into airplane mode? If I do this won't it disconnect my phone from the remote and kill the feed? Being it shuts off WiFi?

Again, thank you for all of your info!

Is the video skipping in DJI GO on your mobile device or when you play the files saved to the Spark's memory card?

The following tips should help with the live video feed in DJI GO:
  • Don't fly in locations with lots of nearby Wi-Fi (e.g. a housing development)
  • Keep all electronic devices away from the Spark remote controller
  • Enable airplane mode on your mobile device and turn on Wi-Fi
Should you try an OTG cable? Sure, why not.

Thank You Singer for the info

With iOS11 and the iPhone + current DJI app would OTG be plug/play?

Or do I need to downgrade firmware?

Thanks!

It's plug & play. Some DJI GO features don't work when using an OTG cable, so I'd recommend it as a last resort. Try my other tips first.

Thx Singer I will. Should I definitely disable the video caching and have everything write to the SD card?

Should I definitely disable the video caching and have everything write to the SD card?
You should disable it if you have no use for the cached video files. However, if your mobile device is fast enough (should be plenty fast in your case), you should be able to cache the video without affecting the performance in DJI GO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme