Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Newbie Observations on OTG and WiFI

Gary Benzion

Join
May 1, 2018
As a Spark newbie I discovered a few hurdles that may be of interest to some or merely old bromides to those of you with more experience. In no order of importance, they are:

· I tried 3 different OTG cables before I was able to get one to work. This one works fine if you remember to put the phone in Airplane mode. My phone is a Pixel XL2.
· https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KJC3DD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • The antennas on the controller should be parallel to the drone for maximum connectivity. I have lost connection when the Spark was very high and directly overhead. Orienting the antennas recovered connection.
  • Connecting the controller to my phone via Wi-Fi is a big problem following the in the DJI Go 4 app. My Pixel xl2 does not see the spark controller Wi-Fi under usual circumstances. If I use the following the following procedure I can always connect via Wi-Fi.
    • Turn on Spark
    • Turn on the controller and allow it to pair
    • Open DJI Go 4
    • The phone does not see the spark controller because there is no Wi-Fi signal, to connect do the following.
    • Switch phone into airplane mode
    • Turn on phone Wi-Fi and scan for networks.
    • If not detected then turn off the controller and then turn it back on.
    • As the controller connects to the spark the phone will detect the Spark network Wi-Fi signal.
    • Return to the DJI app and go fly.
That’s all for now.

Gary

As a Spark newbie I discovered a few hurdles that may be of interest to some or merely old bromides to those of you with more experience. In no order of importance, they are:

· I tried 3 different OTG cables before I was able to get one to work. This one works fine if you remember to put the phone in Airplane mode. My phone is a Pixel XL2.
· https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KJC3DD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • The antennas on the controller should be parallel to the drone for maximum connectivity. I have lost connection when the Spark was very high and directly overhead. Orienting the antennas recovered connection.
  • Connecting the controller to my phone via Wi-Fi is a big problem following the in the DJI Go 4 app. My Pixel xl2 does not see the spark controller Wi-Fi under usual circumstances. If I use the following the following procedure I can always connect via Wi-Fi.
    • Turn on Spark
    • Turn on the controller and allow it to pair
    • Open DJI Go 4
    • The phone does not see the spark controller because there is no Wi-Fi signal, to connect do the following.
    • Switch phone into airplane mode
    • Turn on phone Wi-Fi and scan for networks.
    • If not detected then turn off the controller and then turn it back on.
    • As the controller connects to the spark the phone will detect the Spark network Wi-Fi signal.
    • Return to the DJI app and go fly.
That’s all for now.

Gary
Hi Gary, . I am less than a newbie..
How do you "let them pair"
I've only flown three times but I can't get controller and Android working together with WiFi or other cord.
Thanks!
LarryLee

I was having an issue connecting dji go to my spark, I could connect to the spark wifi but go 4 would not connect until I did a full restart on my note8

I was having an issue connecting dji go to my spark, I could connect to the spark wifi but go 4 would not connect until I did a full restart on my note8
I found my problem- I was using the top right button instead of the right rear button with the stop and fn buttons..duh! Problem #2- i didnt put android phone in airplane mode. only took me several hours of angst to figure out...

I use an iphone 5s & have had very few connectivity problems between the phone & controller. Not sure I understand how putting the phone in airplane mode would help, also any way that would give a stronger connection?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe