Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Night flight: What's the deal?

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
I've tried to find solid information on whether U.S. hobbyists can fly after dark since the May, 2019 FCC rules revision. I see a lot of discussion dated prior to that time, but not much since. I know they require a light on the aircraft that is visible for at least 3 miles. AirMap.com says you can't, even with lights, but I see nothing stated on the FAA's website. Another website, Rupprechtlaw.com has extensive information about the revised drone laws issued May 31, 2019, but the only thing I see appears under the section "Text of Certificate of Authorization for Limited Recreational Purposes at Fixed Sites" which applies to "flying fields" where the FAA has issued authorization for an entity such as an RC Club and says "This Authorization and the Special Provisions shall be in effect between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time". Still, does not define legality of hobbyist flight in Class G airspace at night. What say ye learned members?

The hobbyist rules doesn't say yes or no on night flying.

Until the rule is clear, I'll put the strobes on and fly.

Christmas is here and I hope to get some night shots of the Christmas lights in various places.

The hobbyist rules doesn't say yes or no on night flying.
The rules don't say yes or no because it's not something that is prohibited. That list would be rather long if it documented everything a drone pilot is allowed to do ;)

I've tried to find solid information on whether U.S. hobbyists can fly after dark since the May, 2019 FCC rules revision. I see a lot of discussion dated prior to that time, but not much since.
Like flying during the day, you must keep your drone within your line of sight, or within the visual line-of-sight of a visual observer who is co-located and in direct communication with you. The other rules you must follow can be found here.

The rules don't say yes or no because it's not something that is prohibited. That list would be rather long if it documented everything a drone pilot is allowed to do ;)
I wonder which would be longer, the things you're allowed to do or the those you are not allowed? The eleven listed things are a start, but as is the case with many government references, falls short of clarity. For instance it says nothing about prohibited flight in national parks or forests. It leaves a lot to be researched by the responsible drone pilot. Maybe a lot of the ambiguity will be addressed in the written test that's being developed.

Night flight is only allowed with a part 107 license and a waiver showing you have the proper equipment. Hobbyist cannot fly at night. That is the rule.

if you want to take a chance, that’s on you.

Reactions: Desertspark
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland Jmc657.

Hobbyist cannot fly at night. That is the rule.

Do you have a link with clarification pertaining to hobbyist?

Part 107 pilots may be flying for commercial reasons (getting paid) and may have to jump through the hoops of government.

This seems to be a back and forth topic.

Please share it with us and welcome to the Forum. ?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I don’t have the link exactly, just going on everything I’ve been told. I’m part 107 and fly for work (public safety). The FAA actually came and spoke to a group of us at work and said the only loophole to flying at night was either be 107 with a waiver or under the public safety exemption. I seem to remember watching a Ken Heron video on YouTube about it as well.

Although Ken is entertaining, he's not the best source for safe flying when it comes to his YouTube channel.

His imaginary Visual Observer, the one off camera and doesn't want to speak, while wearing the goggles and flying comes to mind.

Love the guy but some of his videos are ....?

Last edited:

From my read of the (current) FAA regs/rules/advisory notices there is nothing prohibiting a Recreational Pilot from performing night flights in Class G airspace.

All the other rules (VLOS, altitude, flights over people, etc.) as mentioned in posts above still apply...

Whether it's allowed or not, the LEDs make the Spark much more visible at night, and therefore safer than flying in daylight IMO.

Whether it's allowed or not, the LEDs make the Spark much more visible at night, and therefore safer than flying in daylight IMO.

The stock LEDs on the Spark are not sufficient for night flight.

Add on strobe lights that are complaint to night flights should be added to the Spark.

They are light weight and have a 3 mile visibility rating for all to see. :)

Reactions: I B Spectre
On the topic, I have never flown past dusk. I know the front and bottom sensors are blind so do you fly in Atti mode?

Once I launch, I turn the OA off and conduct the flight.

The Spark flies in normal GPS mode, just insure the HP has been recorded, which is normal pre flight stuff.

The strobes do make the aircraft much easier to see during the flight and with different colored strobes, you can tell the orientation of the Spark

Don't mount the strobes next to the bottom camera. Bad news.

Upon landing, make sure the area is well lit as the bottom camera on the Spark looks for a landing zone.

A flashlight worked for me as hand landing is tricky in the dark.

I don’t have the link exactly, just going on everything I’ve been told. I’m part 107 and fly for work (public safety). The FAA actually came and spoke to a group of us at work and said the only loophole to flying at night was either be 107 with a waiver or under the public safety exemption. I seem to remember watching a Ken Heron video on YouTube about it as well.
We need to abide by FAA regulations, not by hearsay, third-party recollection, or something your cousin's hairdresser's second-cousin once removed knows to be a fact.

Of course if you want to err on the cautious side that is totally up to you. If you are flying under Part 107 then yes you need to follow the regulations regarding night flight. However for recreational flights there is no mention of it being prohibited in the FAA regulations.

Once I launch, I turn the OA off and conduct the flight.

The Spark flies in normal GPS mode, just insure the HP has been recorded, which is normal pre flight stuff.

The strobes do make the aircraft much easier to see during the flight and with different colored strobes, you can tell the orientation of the Spark

Don't mount the strobes next to the bottom camera. Bad news.

Upon landing, make sure the area is well lit as the bottom camera on the Spark looks for a landing zone.

A flashlight worked for me as hand landing is tricky in the dark.

I thank you sir and Happy Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Spark 317
Not from my cousins hairdresser, from the FAA ;);)

this is the “44809 Authorization” referenced to in the new law that is the blanket authorization issued to all recreational SUAS users. It can be located here:

“CERTIFICATE OF WAIVER OR AUTHORIZATION ISSUED TO:
Recreational flyers operating unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) as defined under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act of 2018 Section 349, Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft (49 U.S.C. 44809).

Section 1-C:This Authorization and the Special Provisions shall be in effect between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time.“

Last edited:
Not from my cousins hairdresser, from the FAA ;);)

this is the “44809 Authorization” referenced to in the new law that is the blanket authorization issued to all recreational SUAS users. It can be located here:

“CERTIFICATE OF WAIVER OR AUTHORIZATION ISSUED TO:
Recreational flyers operating unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) as defined under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act of 2018 Section 349, Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft (49 U.S.C. 44809).

Section 1-C:This Authorization and the Special Provisions shall be in effect between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time.“
Good find. However that document is the COA specifically for authorization to fly at fixed sites (like AMA Club fields). These are sites which typically reside within the lateral boundaries of controlled airspace. The authorization grants recreational pilots the ability to fly at those sites without needing to go through the procedure of obtaining LAANC authorization. As such the FAA does impose the limitations of flying below the max altitude on the facility map, flying only within VLOS, flying only within the boundaries of the fixed site, flying only between civil sunrise and civil sunset, and other listed restrictions.

We were discussing recreational flying in Class G airspace, which is not what this COA covers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit