Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No HDR

Gduk

Join
Aug 27, 2019
I have a 11 month omd spark, re formatted card, on picture settings it shows no hdr.....I have aeb though,does it need to be airborne?(raining here today)

I guess you'd have to shoot AEB (3 shots) and use some HDR Software. I don't believe it has built-in HDR. Who are you

I too use this software to create HDR images. It is a very powerful tool and any day better than the "in-built" HDR feature which the modern day cameras offer. I believe there is an HDR option in some of the latest Lightroom versions as well but I have no experience with that.

I have posted about this before, but it may be of help:
There is no build-in HDR function in the Spark or it's software. There is an AEB function in the Spark that will take three pictures with -1, 0 and 1 exposure compensation. You could, as mentioned above, use software to create HDR images from those pictures.
I personally use Lightroom, which produces decent results for images taken with my DSLR (I'm all for a natural look and don't like the typical HDR-look). In fact, there are many more options for HDR creation available and they will all work.
However: the Spark produces JPG-files and in combination with the one-stop difference, the advantages of shooting with AEB are small. I usually get about the same results just tweaking a single image from the Spark. I think the AEB function was never ment to be used for HDR, just to get three pictures from which to choose the best.

I have posted about this before, but it may be of help:
There is no build-in HDR function in the Spark or it's software. There is an AEB function in the Spark that will take three pictures with -1, 0 and 1 exposure compensation. You could, as mentioned above, use software to create HDR images from those pictures.
I personally use Lightroom, which produces decent results for images taken with my DSLR (I'm all for a natural look and don't like the typical HDR-look). In fact, there are many more options for HDR creation available and they will all work.
However: the Spark produces JPG-files and in combination with the one-stop difference, the advantages of shooting with AEB are small. I usually get about the same results just tweaking a single image from the Spark. I think the AEB function was never ment to be used for HDR, just to get three pictures from which to choose the best.

The shortcomings of taking pictures with the Spark as you rightly pointed out are due to the absence of the RAW format. When I shoot with my DSLR, I never feel the need to use the HDR mode or AEB mode. I can tweak the RAW image and put life into the overexposed or underexposed areas. This is not possible with the Spark. The JPEG image gets distorted when you try to do exposure correction in Lightroom. Agree that the exposure differential cannot be changed but I find it good enough.
My standard workflow for taking pictures with the Spark is:

1. Shoot in AEB mode with Spark
2. Combine 3 shots with Photomatix
3. Use Lightroom for color correction (optional)

Last edited:
No wonder you got 1st Prize. Great shot. I use Photomatix too and I think it may be cheaper than Lightroom. Having said that I haven’t shot AEB yet on the Spark but stuff I’ve shot on my DSLR comes out really well.

Reactions: pmshop
No wonder you got 1st Prize. Great shot. I use Photomatix too and I think it may be cheaper than Lightroom. Having said that I haven’t shot AEB yet on the Spark but stuff I’ve shot on my DSLR comes out really well.

Thanks!
That was captured with the Mavic Air
I have the option to HDR, or AEB there
And the AEB can be 3 or 5 shots.

This was 5 shot AEB.

Just checked out the Gillespie County Fair and see that instead of flying drones you could be exporting funnel cakes to us here in the UK. They look a bit special and we’d snap ‘em up.

Maybe one day I’ll get a Mavic! Brilliant the athletics people have one.

• Haha
Reactions: pmshop
Is that your house PM? :D

No, it is supposed to be the oldest mansion in Texas 1887
...by a few days of another close competitor.
Just checked out the Gillespie County Fair and see that instead of flying drones you could be exporting funnel cakes to us here in the UK. They look a bit special and we’d snap ‘em up.

Maybe one day I’ll get a Mavic! Brilliant the athletics people have one.

Actually, we are about 2 years late in getting one.
All the area districts have had one for some time.
We have a "Queen B" in charge of "Budget".

No on most cases but turns around a poops 12K for frivolous stuff.

The shortcoming of taking pictures with the Spark as you rightly pointed out is the absence of the RAW format. When I shoot with my DSLR, I never feel the need to use the HDR mode or AEB mode. I can tweak the RAW image and put life into the overexposed or underexposed areas. This is not possible with the Spark. The JPEG image gets distorted when you try to do exposure correction in Lightroom. Agree that the exposure differential cannot be changed but I find it good enough. My standard workflow is:

1. Shoot in AEB mode with Spark
2. Combine 3 shots with Photomatix
3. Use Lightroom for color correction (optional)
It would be an earth-shattering change if we could get RAW images from the Spark, but I think it is basically a marketing decision, not a technical one.
The JPG compression makes it hard to do any exposure compensation and also hampers the creation of an HDR image.

I own an older 40D which has a limited dynamic range, so I have resort to making HDR images using multiple images in high-contrast scenario's. I almost always use three images with -2, 0 and +2 stops exposure compensation and get decent results. Longing for one of the newer camera's with much greater dynamic range.....

It would be an earth-shattering change if we could get RAW images from the Spark, but I think it is basically a marketing decision, not a technical one.
The JPG compression makes it hard to do any exposure compensation and also hampers the creation of an HDR image.

I own an older 40D which has a limited dynamic range, so I have resort to making HDR images using multiple images in high-contrast scenario's. I almost always use three images with -2, 0 and +2 stops exposure compensation and get decent results. Longing for one of the newer camera's with much greater dynamic range.....

You are right. Good dynamic range is the reason why even the latest phone cameras produce better images than old DSLRs. But let's face it. You can't expect DJI to give you everything in their entry level drone. Unless they get some serious competition from a sub $500 drone of another manufacturer, DJI is not going to upgrade the Spark.The Spark does a tremendous job within its limitations and it is upto the user to learn how to get the best out of it. That's why forums like these are so useful to learn all the tricks and best practices.

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit