Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

No phone service, no problem?

davpmars

Join
Jun 11, 2018
I’m out of the country and I’m keeping my phone in airplane mode because I don’t have a local cell service plan/SIM card. Will the drone still work like normal with good range etc... do I need to do anything special for it to connect to the remote and satellites etc...?

You're range may very if traveling from a FCC to a CE country.

You don't need a cell connection to fly the Spark.

You will miss the features of a live map and the option to "find my drone" if you lose the Spark and need to track it down.

Maps can be cached or downloaded before a flight using the WiFi in your room (if available) so you can have a map view of the area.

I fly with a WiFi only mini4 and haven't had any problems.

I recently flew in the UK and Portugal using my phone cellular service switched off with no problems.

When I turned Spark I was notified that I was in CE zone but nothing else out of the ordinary.

Spark317 is right- I had no map but I kept it pretty close anyway and in sight.

I’m out of the country and I’m keeping my phone in airplane mode because I don’t have a local cell service plan/SIM card. Will the drone still work like normal with good range etc... do I need to do anything special for it to connect to the remote and satellites etc...?

I do this all the time. The phone which I use for flying doesn't have an active SIM card installed. I just download offline maps via WiFi and I am good to go. No problem whatsoever.

Thanks everyone, I’ve been flying just fine for the most part. How do you download these maps you all speak of and why would I need them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit