Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Non restriction Spark Petition

Flash

Join
Jun 24, 2017
Loc
Melbourne Australia
Hello fellow Spark Pilots, I imagine there must many many thousands of us out there all over the world ?
I want to see if we can make a petition to change the restrictions and inclusion of the Spark in the weight category that says it must be licensed or restricted, given it is only just over 300grams. I feel it is unfair as after all, it is just a selfie drone & DJI market it as such in many adverts, by calling it just that ! Adding also in most of the world it is further restricted to CE transmission power and which dumbs it down to a toy as well ?
For it to be grouped with all other drones, most of which are much much bigger & many times more powerful & weigh triple than the Spark does.
It is really wrong, Spark is tiny by comparison & cute, not a huge noisy thing people shy away from, in fact it creates comments & interest where ever it is flown. I think we, as Spark Pilots should all get together & look at signing a petition to have it excluded from the weight restriction & regulation category currently being drafted & implemented.
People Power can succeed here, I am sure !
Let's give it a try all around the world !
Go SparkPilots !

Hello fellow Spark Pilots, I imagine there must many many thousands of us out there all over the world ?
I want to see if we can make a petition to change the restrictions and inclusion of the Spark in the weight category that says it must be licensed or restricted, given it is only just over 300grams. I feel it is unfair as after all, it is just a selfie drone & DJI market it as such in many adverts, by calling it just that ! Adding also in most of the world it is further restricted to CE transmission power and which dumbs it down to a toy as well ?
For it to be grouped with all other drones, most of which are much much bigger & many times more powerful & weigh triple than the Spark does.
It is really wrong, Spark is tiny by comparison & cute, not a huge noisy thing people shy away from, in fact it creates comments & interest where ever it is flown. I think we, as Spark Pilots should all get together & look at signing a petition to have it excluded from the weight restriction & regulation category currently being drafted & implemented.
Go SparkPilots !
Good luck, but I don't think so. Yes the weight limit may be somewhat arbitrary and could have been made slightly higher. However the governing authorities needed to set a bar somewhere and that's what they chose. Why would they decide to make an exception for the Spark? What happens when the next drone comes along that is only a few grams heavier than the Spark and those owners want an exception?
This weigh limit becomes even more important once the new FAA regulations are fully implemented regarding flying over people. The weight becomes the point below which the drone can fly over people without any restrictions. Again why make exceptions?
Besides, what exactly are you looking to accomplish by doing so? My Spark is registered and I can do whatever I need to do with it. The weight limit is not restricting me in any way.
Also the Spark is in no way "just a selfie drone". It is a GPS enabled, 2-axis gimbal, intelligent, 1080p video, remote-enabled drone with a top speed of 31 MPH and a range of over a mile. That is much more than a selfie drone.

This will never happen
Yes , I agree that to pack any drone above 250g with drone up to 25kg is idiotic law here in Canada.

Good luck, but I don't think so. Yes the weight limit may be somewhat arbitrary and could have been made slightly higher. However the governing authorities needed to set a bar somewhere and that's what they chose. Why would they decide to make an exception for the Spark? What happens when the next drone comes along that is only a few grams heavier than the Spark and those owners want an exception?
This weigh limit becomes even more important once the new FAA regulations are fully implemented regarding flying over people. The weight becomes the point below which the drone can fly over people without any restrictions. Again why make exceptions?
Besides, what exactly are you looking to accomplish by doing so? My Spark is registered and I can do whatever I need to do with it. The weight limit is not restricting me in any way.
Also the Spark is in no way "just a selfie drone". It is a GPS enabled, 2-axis gimbal, intelligent, 1080p video, remote-enabled drone with a top speed of 31 MPH and a range of over a mile. That is much more than a selfie drone.

250g will do same damage as 280g drone
Rules should be for all, but it has to be reasonable.
Law in France is way more reasonable starting at 800g but on the other hand I still think 0-800 should be governed by some rules as well.

Last edited:
Go SparkPilots !
I'm In! Let's do it! Great idea..?

Reactions: Stanlee
Too late to change it here in Canada. And I agree with PhantomFandom, I think the authorities are wise enough to go look at people doing 2km flights with Sparks on YT and decide that it is in fact much more than a "selfie drone". I am not a big fan of rules, but I am fully supportive of safety... and I think tin this case this is the motivation for the rules, not because they are anti-fun or recreation. I also have a toy drone under 250g but its gathering dust, the Spark beats all those hands down. In my humble opinion, its better to embrace the rules and work toward getting the advanced certifications where available so that some of the limits are eased. Imagine if you did not need a drivers' license to drive the car. To me its all the same. Tough for those who have been in this and fixed wing hobbies for a long time, but change is going to come, like it or not.

But, in the spirit of freedom, I wish you luck with your petition.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
This will never happen
Yes , I agree that to pack any drone above 250g with drone up to 25kg is idiotic law here in Canada.

Exact same rules almost to the letter being introduced in all western countries.
I've never heard officially as to how / why the seeming collusion between authorities, but it must be to do with ICAO influence and policy.
This is an interesting read . . .

and this 2. Development of UAS Regulation

As others have said, have at it, and much luck. However, I think it doubtful that the authorities would consider a change for the reasons stated by PhantomFandom. Personally, I'm now certified and registered, so I can fly as I wish (within the regs of course). The Spark is also my first real drone, but who knows, it may well not be my last drone, so I'm covered either way.

250g will do same damage as 280g drone
Rules should be for all, but it has to be reasonable.
Law in France is way more reasonable starting at 800g but on the other hand I still think 0-800 should be governed by some rules as well.

I agree 800g, should be the starting point !
I didn't call it a selfie drone the maker DJI did !!!

Reactions: lifeisfun

Nice to see u list all your part numbers & drones,
Well Known Member,

Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro Platinum, Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro Plus, Inspire 2

You wouldn't be showing off would you, just asking ?

Nice to see u list all your part numbers & drones,
Well Known Member,

Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro Platinum, Phantom 4, Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro Plus, Inspire 2

You wouldn't be showing off would you, just asking ?
What was the point of this response? Really!

No, not showing off. I am interested in all DJI drones and enjoy flying all of them.

Whatever, if you're not interested enough to get something from it.
It shows why UK, US, Canada, Australia are all getting almost the same rules, registration and licensing regulation, all pretty much at the same time.
Not sure why is this so interesting but OK :)
Time to move to Norway :D

Good luck. You're trying to sway a government who is either afraid of drones or afraid of people who are afraid of drones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme